chamberlain releases

Maestrolaker

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
bought a couple of the releases earlier this year and thus far not really sold....I do like the release mechanism but find them a bit of a pain to work with on rigger line. I have always used a 24" release clip which you can grab, set and drop.

i know there are a number of converts on sight so is there something i am missing??

any feedback or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I agree. I have my riggers all the way at the back plus facing back. Very difficult to use in rough water. But the release it self is great compared to any of the competition.

I gave mine away, work ok but I prefer the old school. Use the white (lighter) for walleye off shores.

Thanks hvyhaul....need to think about that. Not a bad idea for sure Either way. I don’t mind the old releases as I fish lake O more than Erie but will play with a bit....just installed some Scotty sure stop cables to resolve trigger issue. If solved will play with this.

I like the concept for sure

Ive been using the walker releases and find them to work very well...u can easily adjust the tension with no tools and are quick and easy when attaching your line

@Maestrolaker I originally bought it because pulling on the rigger cable to reset the release hurt my hand/fingers. :X3:?

I've become such a softee, lol, surprised I still crank in my own leadcore catches. ?

@Maestrolaker I originally bought it because pulling on the rigger cable to reset the release hurt my hand/fingers. :X3:?

I've become such a softee, lol, surprised I still crank in my own leadcore catches. ?
I use the Scotty downrigger trolling snubber I learned from a king salmon charter boat captain I fished with in Nanaimo BC. Is great on the hands and is nice when putting the cannonball in the water or pulling them back into the boat. Also absorbs almost all the bounce out of the ball when up while fishing in rougher water. I hook it to ball with the release on top so it is closer to the end of the boom to reach. I love them, no more cable burn. :)
0370_01-700x700.jpgIMG_1624.JPG

Last edited:
I agree on the Chamberlain's...They are a great release and work great BUT i just HATE setting them up! I have been thinking of selling mine for the last year since I got them as they just sit in the boat unused. I also have a pair of their sliders but will be keeping them as the few times I use a slider they work great and not that hard to setup as you can hook the line and then attatch it to the rigger cable.

As far as the what your used to....if you like the 18" leads try a set of Scotty 60" leads!!! They are awesome for a few reasons! You don't even need to bend over to hook up lines at all...just bring the balls to the surface or close to it, point your rod tip down to the water and sweep up the clip with an eye and bring it right up to you! Hook it up and send it over. The absolute great thing about them is because of the 60" lead is that the action on the rod is amplified if you get something small such as a 2lb walleye or even a perch! you can actually see the rod bouncing up and down! One other cool thing is that if you can adjust the sensitivity of your graph you can see the canon ball and 4 feet above it you will see the Clip...when you get a fish on the line it will actually pull the clip down towards the ball so you will know there is something on the line!

Good Luck

I'm almost identical to Wave Runner, except I have the scotty retriever that hvyhaul mentioned right on the top to pull and hold it close hands free and then an amishoutfitters shocker on it.
Exactly the same as the planer board shockers, just a bit shorter.

wow...way to much hardware for downrigging...i been using a 5 lb ball for these up high walleyes..a simple offshore release and find the sweet spot with a short lead and a slider...last 2x out runnin 10 foot sliders working well for both pics & bows...sliders are hot for doubles...just watch the rod tips..

@rastam4n pretty simple, here's my downrigger setup.

scottystuff.jpg

You mount the line restraint somewhere onboard, clip the line onto the rigger line piece, and pull it in and set the line into the restraint, when you go to reset, reverse the process.

Doesn't matter how long the boom is set, you can work out a length that works. Stop the release still in the water for more reach etc.

I remove the cord when not in use. The collar you actually place on the rigger cable and leave it there.

If I remember correctly I had to remove and redo the rigger cable end and clasp to get the collar on the cable.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks