Fishing Report Cayo santa maria cuba april 4 -11

chefboyardee

Those of you who know me on here know that i love my saltwater fishing and travel the globe for work and leisure. Recently ventured to cayo santa maria for the first time. Have always looked at this place from google earth and determined this is a killer place that i wante to fish and explore.

We stayed at the dhawa resort in cayo santa maria soley for it proximity to the marina launch for the guides and boats. The price per day is $390 cuc but if you book directly with the marina theres a discount. Our guide was possibly ine of the best i have ever fished world wide . His attention to detail and running around a spot as opposed to back over always impressed. His hand tied and poured jigs were killer .

We fished 4 out of 7 days there and landed 5 personal best fish between the 2 of us. We landed 25 plus fish everyday and jumped tarpon everyday. The basket of fish varied every day. Cuberra , and red snapper. Jack kravelle sea rats aka barracuda lol spanish makeral , . Our focus was truly the king of the sea to me tarpon ! We jumped over 20 fish and couldnt seal the deal till the last day when we started the morning iff hooking up on a triple header the guide hooked up as well. It was total mayhem to say the least. Having 3 freight-trains hooked up in a 16 ft skiff . Jumping rolling and ripping all around us. Definetly a memory of a life time .

If you plan a trip there is a tonne of DIY. Spots to fish there you will need a few key things before you go a good travel rod 4 pc medium heavy , rapala makes a great one look for the saltwater series. A good 4000 series reel with 20 lb braid works and 60-80 floricarbon leader. Coaral teeh and gill olates are crazy sharp on salty fish . Raps mooneyes and that kinda crank are killer for snapper and other species. Change the hook to carbon octo hooks the regular bronze hooks will starighten right out . Buck tail jigs are great and a selection of gulp for the jigs doesnt hurt. 1/2 and 3/4 ounce work best again make sure the hooks are sharp and strong .

Hope this helps for future trips , ive fished a lot of cuba and this is the best place yet. Im patiently waiting for cayo cruz to open a new hotel this supposed to just as good scheduled to open febuary 2020.

If your ever interested in going send me a pm and ill give you the finer details before you go

Attachments

• 1D47B4CF-114A-41CF-BA01-72E4A5F82B93.jpeg
    1D47B4CF-114A-41CF-BA01-72E4A5F82B93.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • 21FEB730-4E21-4392-83AB-F9510691CDD2.jpeg
    21FEB730-4E21-4392-83AB-F9510691CDD2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
  • 50CE2CFF-F3CB-4FCE-A15F-971B70F5DAAD.jpeg
    50CE2CFF-F3CB-4FCE-A15F-971B70F5DAAD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 65091698-99AC-483C-9A32-0D18D01942BB.jpeg
    65091698-99AC-483C-9A32-0D18D01942BB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
  • E64FCE05-4A4C-4C5A-9933-B7B682044ACB.jpeg
    E64FCE05-4A4C-4C5A-9933-B7B682044ACB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
Those of you who know me on here know that i love my saltwater fishing and travel the globe for work and leisure. Recently ventured to cayo santa maria for the first time. Have always looked at this place from google earth and determined this is a killer place that i wante to fish and explore.

We stayed at the dhawa resort in cayo santa maria soley for it proximity to the marina launch for the guides and boats. The price per day is $390 cuc but if you book directly with the marina theres a discount. Our guide was possibly ine of the best i have ever fished world wide . His attention to detail and running around a spot as opposed to back over always impressed. His hand tied and poured jigs were killer .

We fished 4 out of 7 days there and landed 5 personal best fish between the 2 of us. We landed 25 plus fish everyday and jumped tarpon everyday. The basket of fish varied every day. Cuberra , and red snapper. Jack kravelle sea rats aka barracuda lol spanish makeral , . Our focus was truly the king of the sea to me tarpon ! We jumped over 20 fish and couldnt seal the deal till the last day when we started the morning iff hooking up on a triple header the guide hooked up as well. It was total mayhem to say the least. Having 3 freight-trains hooked up in a 16 ft skiff . Jumping rolling and ripping all around us. Definetly a memory of a life time .

If you plan a trip there is a tonne of DIY. Spots to fish there you will need a few key things before you go a good travel rod 4 pc medium heavy , rapala makes a great one look for the saltwater series. A good 4000 series reel with 20 lb braid works and 60-80 floricarbon leader. Coaral teeh and gill olates are crazy sharp on salty fish . Raps mooneyes and that kinda crank are killer for snapper and other species. Change the hook to carbon octo hooks the regular bronze hooks will starighten right out . Buck tail jigs are great and a selection of gulp for the jigs doesnt hurt. 1/2 and 3/4 ounce work best again make sure the hooks are sharp and strong .

Hope this helps for future trips , ive fished a lot of cuba and this is the best place yet. Im patiently waiting for cayo cruz to open a new hotel this supposed to just as good scheduled to open febuary 2020.

If your ever interested in going send me a pm and ill give you the finer details before you go
Awesome !!! I stayed at the same resort 2 years ago when it was brand new. Caught all kinds of interesting fish off the rocks ( snapper)and ventured out in the paddle boats casted for cudas... got windy and couldn't fish last half of week...great resort . Definitely recommend for both fisherman and non fisherman.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks