cayo coco /paradon cuba report

chefboyardee

just got back from cayo coco cuba , for a week with the family. this is a strange timw to go to cuba i know for some with the walleye season on the go. but its in between lacrosse and hockey season for the kids . and back to school.

ive been fishing Cuba for 10 plus years now , on the fly and spinning . cayo coco is my destination of choice , as the bone-fishing is world class in my opinion and cheap as chips. compared to the keys and the Bahamas . the day rate for 2 guys in 1 boat is 250 CUC about $275 CDN with the current exchange rate .

its a bit of an excursion from cayo coco to cayo paradon, taxi and boat time around 1.5 hours. they pick you up @ the hotel and do all the transfers for you . you do need to arrange lunch and drinks for the day. but the hotel do packed lunches. but i usually get it from the buffet. this is why when fishing Cuba large zip loc bags are a must . also a good bug spray because the launch point is the NO SEEYEMS CAPITAL OF CUBA .

make sure you are prepared to be in the direct sun for the whole day and proper fishing clothing is a must there is no Bimini or shade any where , for those of you who have never done any flats fishing before .

as i was with the family i only had one day of fishing :banghead: but as usual, cayo paradon delivered i hooked 13 bonefish and landed 11 with my new cuba biggest bone fish 7lbs. ripped me into my backing twice and near ripped my knuckles open lol. get your hand out of there dumbass, away from the reel on the second run.

P8200300.JPG

there is also spinning to be done in this area as well, i always carry a spinning rod with me outfitted with 8lb test and a wire leader. though its recommended 12-17 lb. i just like the challenge. but i loose ore fish then i land most days . the wind pick up to 25 k in around midday. so i packed the fly rod away and picked up my 7ft 4 pc st croix. with any kinda rapala type bait works . but don't expect to get much more than 4-5 fish out of it if you get into barracuda .

i hooked this cubarra snapper on the edge of the mangroves and it was a good 10 minute fight on the light gear. for those of you that have never caught anything in saltwater. take any fish the same size in freshwater and multiply x 5 in strength (might be an exaggeration but surely seems that way at times ) .

P8200316.JPG
this is the before picture

P8200318.JPG
this is the after picture, flip the chef 10 CUC and they will sort this out for you at the resort for dinner. this was my first cubara snapper and definitely wont be my last . best eating fish i have ever had in Cuba , with the cow fish a close second .

if you are going to Cuba this winter or @ anytime let me know and i will give you my guide services email they are a fly fishing service but also have a few guides that are spinning guides as well.

now back to freshwater
CHEFBOYARDEE

(y) (y) Excellent report with great pics. Congrats on that tremendous 7 lb. Bone fish, WOW!! And that dinner plate of seafood sure looks tasty. You are definitely an interesting guy Chef, thanks for sharing many of your exotic fishing adventures with us. :)

just got back from cayo coco cuba , for a week with the family. this is a strange timw to go to cuba i know for some with the walleye season on the go. but its in between lacrosse and hockey season for the kids . and back to school.

ive been fishing Cuba for 10 plus years now , on the fly and spinning . cayo coco is my destination of choice , as the bone-fishing is world class in my opinion and cheap as chips. compared to the keys and the Bahamas . the day rate for 2 guys in 1 boat is 250 CUC about $275 CDN with the current exchange rate .

its a bit of an excursion from cayo coco to cayo paradon, taxi and boat time around 1.5 hours. they pick you up @ the hotel and do all the transfers for you . you do need to arrange lunch and drinks for the day. but the hotel do packed lunches. but i usually get it from the buffet. this is why when fishing Cuba large zip loc bags are a must . also a good bug spray because the launch point is the NO SEEYEMS CAPITAL OF CUBA .

make sure you are prepared to be in the direct sun for the whole day and proper fishing clothing is a must there is no Bimini or shade any where , for those of you who have never done any flats fishing before .

as i was with the family i only had one day of fishing :banghead: but as usual, cayo paradon delivered i hooked 13 bonefish and landed 11 with my new cuba biggest bone fish 7lbs. ripped me into my backing twice and near ripped my knuckles open lol. get your hand out of there dumbass, away from the reel on the second run.

View attachment 1826

there is also spinning to be done in this area as well, i always carry a spinning rod with me outfitted with 8lb test and a wire leader. though its recommended 12-17 lb. i just like the challenge. but i loose ore fish then i land most days . the wind pick up to 25 k in around midday. so i packed the fly rod away and picked up my 7ft 4 pc st croix. with any kinda rapala type bait works . but don't expect to get much more than 4-5 fish out of it if you get into barracuda .

i hooked this cubarra snapper on the edge of the mangroves and it was a good 10 minute fight on the light gear. for those of you that have never caught anything in saltwater. take any fish the same size in freshwater and multiply x 5 in strength (might be an exaggeration but surely seems that way at times ) .

View attachment 1827
this is the before picture

View attachment 1828
this is the after picture, flip the chef 10 CUC and they will sort this out for you at the resort for dinner. this was my first cubara snapper and definitely wont be my last . best eating fish i have ever had in Cuba , with the cow fish a close second .

if you are going to Cuba this winter or @ anytime let me know and i will give you my guide services email they are a fly fishing service but also have a few guides that are spinning guides as well.

now back to freshwater
CHEFBOYARDEE

Great Post. I am planning a a trip to Cayo Coco in mid-April and was wondering what would be the best way to get in contact with your guides. Planning mainly fly fishing for Bonefish, Permit.

Thanks

Thanks Chef. I am heading to Cayo Coco late March and taking some spinning gear. Would love some info to help make it a memorable experience.

Doug

here is orlando gonzalez fishing guide in cayo coco email adress , he and his guides is the only wayto go with. there is another company there with a head guide named doneski DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS IDIOT. what hotel are you staying at @time2time @rob roblesky

orlando will take some time to get back to as the internet access can be tuff at time so give him time and be patient. also let him know i told you to contact him .

Orlando González orlandofishinguide@yahoo.es

as for transportation and carrying rods on flights no problem for them and also your reels just no hooks check those. jigs, top water and good strong crank baits i recommend no balsa wood as 99 percent of saltwater fish have shredders for dentures . a 1 pound snapper will turn a balsa wood rapala into toothpicks. make sure that your rods are travel 4 peice rods , otherwise your gonns have to check them. which is no problem most companies dont charge extra for checking them , except sunwing as they are absolute EXPLETIVE idiots.

as for spinning gear line try and go with at least 12lb braid as there is also really sharp edges to deal with in the coral and just stuff to shred you line to dental floss. also i would recommend a good 20-30 lb fluorocarbon leader .

if fly fishing you need at least a 7 weight and up to a 9 weight with a warm water floating line and dont be afraid to throw a 20 lb fluro leader on there and 12lb is fine as well. as for flies required . merkin crabs, crazy charlies, pink puffs are my go to flies. if you need to order them. discountflies.com best place to buy them and if you ask them to drop the shipping value on them you wont pay import tax on them as much. even so best price even with the us exchange.

off to the grand Bahamas inl ate march for the big Bahamas bones for the first time looking forward to it

Last edited:
We are staying at Iberostar Daiquiri Cayo Coco. I will be emailing Orlando for sure but I will be fishing alone (wife will be at the spa), do I refer to you as Chefboyardee?
What do you mean check the hooks, first time taking my own tackle.

put the hooks in your luggage not on your person. your actually on cayo guillermo which is a little further out than cayo coco/ your wife will be happy as there is the best beach in the area is there and there a small island of the beach that you can get a panga out to there for 10 cuc i belive it is . on your way in to cay guillermo you will cross a few channels which can have fish at the right time of day. the tide is very important incoming and out going tides are your best time . also slip the cook on the buffet a few cucs and he will slide you some shrimp for bait. this is why zip loc bags are a must in your luggage . to fish with orlando it is a bit farther out to get to cayo paradon. probably 3 0-40 cuc for the taxi. orlando will be 250.00 cuc for the day . but well worth it not many get out there fishing for sure . lots of pargo barracude , cubarra snapper. bonefish, you might see some tarpon but the really the wrong time of year . make sure you get yourself a sun buff like im wearing in the picture. cause those skiffs have no shade at all and it will save your ass belive you me .

cheers rocky

Hi chefboyardee;

I stumbled across this forum and just had to reply. I'm so glad to see you recommending Orlando over Duniesky. I can't believe the amount of people raving about Duniesky and stating that he is "The Best" guide in Cuba, blah, blah, blah. You are right. He is an IDIOT! He is rude, condescending and will bash the gear you bring, telling you it is all "crap". I've heard a lot of horror stories and I can't believe the people that will book with him just saying "oh well, that's just how he is". It's brutal! Orlando is a friendly, helpful and kind gentleman. Last December, I was unable to get out with him due to wind concerns, but I still was able to talk to him and leave a basketball for his son which he was so appreciative of. I had the pleasure of fishing with one of Orlando's guides (Oralvarez) the year before and although I only got into Barracuda, I had an awesome day......we spotted Tarpon by the blue hole and some Cubera Snapper and even a shark by the lighthouse. Last year I was on the bridge at Guillermo with my gear and Duniesky stopped with a car full of guys he was taking out and stopped to tell me about himself and to get me to book with him. No thanks! Anyway, just had to rant a little! Although winter is not the best time of year for fishing, I like to combine it with a beach vacation with my wife, so that way I get the best of both worlds. I will be back in January!

@Siko you weren't down there with my buddy sean therriault were you? as he didnt listen to me as well and had the same experience lmfao . i was in verradero cuba and rented a boat for a day of fishing and snorkeling with the family and low and behold. who was the captain but donneskis (DUMBESKI) brother FFS whats the chances, definetly nothing like his brother though i had to bite my lip all day long . lol

i have recommend Orlando for years and he has never let anyone down ever , and orelvesz is just as good if not better than orlando now , i fished with him last year and loved the guy. i think the world of Orlando and cant wait to go back to cayo coco .

was out last sunday here in the bahamas only managed 2 bones on the day but with the 15 -20 k winds i thought that was a good day as the visibility was like 20-25 ft in front of us. oh well lots of DIY here.

Chef;

I did meet a young fellow when I was down there (We were at the Sol Cayo Guillermo from December 10-17) but I can't remember his name for the life of me. He was there with his dad and he was from Alberta but was originally from where I am (Sault Ste. Marie). They did go out with Duniesky. I felt bad because when Orlando couldn't get me out, I ended up going out with a guy called Choo-Choo from the marina at the bridge between Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo, but after I went out with him, Orlando told me they are not "legal" guides and I shouldn't be using them. That being said, I had a couple great days of 'cudas on the topwater bite in the mangroves south of Guillermo, so at least I was able to get out! I'm glad you were able to get into a couple bones despite the high winds! I can't wait to get back there in January and get out with Orlando or Orelvesz again! When I was out with Orelvesz, it was the first time he ever saw 'cuda tubes and I could tell he was skeptical, but when he saw how hard they were smashing my tubes, he was sold! I left him what I had as part of his tip.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks