Cayo coco Cuba fishing

pikehunter

Looking for updates on fishing in Cayo coco from Hemingway bridge and hotels area. Anyone been there lately?

I have spent a ton of time in Cayo Coco/Cayo Guilermo, but never have I fished there. Your best bet is to ask around to the local staff. They will know who you can hire as a guide, if you have old gear you don't mind parting with bring it with you, they have nothing and always appreciate a gift.

I have been out with a guide in that area. Good fishing off shore but they have limited gear. Last time on our way home I watched Cuba customs confiscate fishing rods and gear from 2 people.

Cayo Guilermo is great for fishing! There is a pier there which can be very good when the bait fish are in, and not bad when they aren't (small fish). The channels around a few of the resorts that are near the pier hold juvenile tarpon up to 25lbs with most around the 3-7lb mark... You will see the tarpon surfacing... A lot of the staff around the resorts like fishing and for a few pesos you can make some "good friends" that will show you the best spots... Depending on the resort, you can cast to these fish right out front of your room or not far from the bar... I found shrimp from the buffet worked good. A Cuban at my resort showed me the ropes... Cast your shrimp out then throw a few pebbles where your bait is to alert the fish. Let the tarpon have its time with it before setting the hook.... Also, there are flats not far with a rental car that provide good fishing opportunities. I hired a guide for flats fishing. His name was Duniesky and I had a great day with him. A google search and google maps will verify most of this info... Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Cayo Guilermo is great for fishing! There is a pier there which can be very good when the bait fish are in, and not bad when they aren't (small fish). The channels around a few of the resorts that are near the pier hold juvenile tarpon up to 25lbs with most around the 3-7lb mark... You will see the tarpon surfacing... A lot of the staff around the resorts like fishing and for a few pesos you can make some "good friends" that will show you the best spots... Depending on the resort, you can cast to these fish right out front of your room or not far from the bar... I found shrimp from the buffet worked good. A Cuban at my resort showed me the ropes... Cast your shrimp out then throw a few pebbles where your bait is to alert the fish. Let the tarpon have its time with it before setting the hook.... Also, there are flats not far with a rental car that provide good fishing opportunities. I hired a guide for flats fishing. His name was Duniesky and I had a great day with him. A google search and google maps will verify most of this info... Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. I have been several times myself. I used a guide named Bolo. Reef fishing from a former old dive boat. And fished off Ernest hemingway bridge. Not been back since covid hit . Leaving again wednesday for 7 days. And as always taking extra poles and fishing gear to give the locals.

I hired the activities guy that handles the sail boats to take me trolling on a small catamaran. He caught a dozen ballyhoo, had them in backpack. I brought lots of tackle and we washed saltwater rapalas and a couple skirted baits...no luck. He rigged up ballyhoo baits with wire trailer hooks and it was game on, 6 nice barracuda. Also fished the Hemmingway bridge and the pier...caught a few smalls. The charter we booked was cancelled due to high winds so no offshore trolling. Cayo Guilermo

I hired the activities guy that handles the sail boats to take me trolling on a small catamaran. He caught a dozen ballyhoo, had them in backpack. I brought lots of tackle and we washed saltwater rapalas and a couple skirted baits...no luck. He rigged up ballyhoo baits with wire trailer hooks and it was game on, 6 nice barracuda. Also fished the Hemmingway bridge and the pier...caught a few smalls. The charter we booked was cancelled due to high winds so no offshore trolling. Cayo Guilermo

When were you last there?

Thanks for the info

I have been out with a guide in that area. Good fishing off shore but they have limited gear. Last time on our way home I watched Cuba customs confiscate fishing rods and gear from 2 people.
Been there many times and never heard of them confiscating anything.Thats too bad.I find them Super friendly to Canadians. Take extra line / lures and hats to give out and they love that.

I just returned from Cayo Guillermo last week. They told me at the airport that rods must be put on plane. Not carry on.
Fishing from bridge requires a heavy weight and live bait rig for best chances. Current runs strong hence the heavy weight. Lots of shad / mullet type minnows off beach at resort. If you have a cast net bring it.
Also. they only accept Canaidian money for local excursion. The CUC is basically worthless and nobody will take it. So bring Canadian funds. We went to a bank and they will only give you CUCS. Due to Covid things have changed in Cuba. Especially the locals. They cat get many of the basic items. Covid has made this worse.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks