Carpal tunnel surgery?

ELGuapo

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Having surgery today for carpal tunnel, I was just wondering if anyone else has and if so how long before you were able to get the rod back in your hand?

I've had both hands done. Took about 3 weeks to be without pain and another 3 to regain the strength

I had Carpal Tunnel in both hands. Dr. Sober operated on my right hand first. As a result my Carpal Tunnel turned into Reflex Sympethetic Dystrophy. I would not wish this on anyone. I would not let him touch my left hand and it did get better by itself. This was back in 1983 and I still have RSD in my right hand and right leg. Never let an Orthopedic surgeon do a carpal tunnel release. My late brother had his right hand done by a nerosurgeon and was back to work in a week. And yes Dr Sober was his real name. At last count he had 14 law suits filed against him and he left the country.

FC405D16-44DF-40C8-A437-BED72E704DDC.jpeg

Me. Thumbs up for a successful outcome. I only had it done on my right hand. Left has CTS too but not nearly as bad so I just live with it. I had no pain after getting it done. I took the pain killers they gave me that night after the surgery and didn't bother afterwards. My cast came off after two weeks and went in the brace for the next four with excersizes after the two week mark. Honestly the worst part of all of it was the stitches and incision healing.

My surgery was in February of 2019 so I wasn't fishing much. My brother and I did go ice fishing the day before the surgery though. Caught some small pike at 50 point.

A year and a half later and my CTS is completely gone in that hand. It still feels a bit weak at times, but I should have had it done years ago. I feel like a fool for putting it off for so long.

Last edited:
Never let an Orthopedic surgeon do a carpal tunnel release

I am pretty sure an orthopedic surgeon is exactly who does a carpal tunnel release. Mine was done by Dr. Thoma. He was a bit of a jerk but did a good job.

Last edited:
I had Carpal Tunnel in both hands. Dr. Sober operated on my right hand first. As a result my Carpal Tunnel turned into Reflex Sympethetic Dystrophy. I would not wish this on anyone. I would not let him touch my left hand and it did get better by itself. This was back in 1983 and I still have RSD in my right hand and right leg. Never let an Orthopedic surgeon do a carpal tunnel release. My late brother had his right hand done by a nerosurgeon and was back to work in a week. And yes Dr Sober was his real name. At last count he had 14 law suits filed against him and he left the country.
I wonder if he's the same Dr. Sober that did my back surgery in 1978? Did a job on me, maybe I was just lucky. :jawdrop:

Having surgery today for carpal tunnel, I was just wondering if anyone else has and if so how long before you were able to get the rod back in your hand?
Had both hands done last 2 yrs. Couldn't hold a rod without pins and needles and there is no way I was going to let that come between me and fishing. First operation was a March 25th and was fishing without issue on May long weekend ~ 1.5 months. No need for brace or anything and was comfortable. Its worth it. Get er done.

Had both hands done last 2 yrs. Couldn't hold a rod without pins and needles and there is no way I was going to let that come between me and fishing. First operation was a March 25th and was fishing without issue on May long weekend ~ 1.5 months. No need for brace or anything and was comfortable. Its worth it. Get er done.
Also never missed a day of work. 1st 12 hrs of pain then nothing. Ask for the good drugs, 1st op i was given Tylenol 3 that did squat, 2nd i had Hydromorphone ( sp?), makes you feel like crap but at least i slept through most of the pain. My dominant hand was worse for pain also btw.

Here is what Sober did to me. Cut me from middle of my hand to almost half way to my elbow. You can see the scar. You can also see the Hernia he also left me with as well as RSD in my whole right hand and arm. This was done in 1983. The nero surgeon who did my brother made a 3/4" cut in his wrist and he was right back to work.

Attachments

• 20200723_193241.jpg
    20200723_193241.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 48
I am pretty sure an orthopedic surgeon is exactly who does a carpal tunnel release. Mine was done by Dr. Thoma. He was a bit of a jerk but did a good job.
Wildfire you are partialy right. Most Carpal surgeries are done by Ortho unless you specify a nerologist to do it. After my surgery was muffed my brother asked if there was another option and they told him there was.

Here is what Sober did to me. Cut me from middle of my hand to almost half way to my elbow. You can see the scar. You can also see the Hernia he also left me with as well as RSD in my whole right hand and arm. This was done in 1983. The nero surgeon who did my brother made a 3/4" cut in his wrist and he was right back to work.

That makes no sense that's not where the carpal tunnel is.. Its in the base of the hand right where it meets the wrist. You can see my scar in my thumbs up photo above.

Neurosurgery internal done 30 yrs ago. About 10 days of discomfort and another 2 weeks to get the strength back. Both sides done a yr apart. No symptoms since. Lost about 50% of my total grip strength.

That makes no sense that's not where the carpal tunnel is.. Its in the base of the hand right where it meets the wrist. You can see my scar in my thumbs up photo above.
I know. My brother has a tiny scar at the base of his hand and wrist. As you can see mine is from the middle of my hand to almost half way to my elbow I don't believe Dr. Stanley Sober was quite SOBER when he did my surgery. Like I said shortly after screwing up my right hand and arm he left the country because of too many law suits against him. Wave Runner you should consider yourself very, very lucky to have gotten off the table let alone getting fixed.

Had mine done at St Joseph's as well young doc was amazing.think he was actually a plastic surgeon. And a fisherman so understood my issues lol. Dont let the horror story scare ya.

Doc Sober did mine last Mon stitches come out tomorrow going to meet him at my dock said I will be good to go

Attachments

• sad.jpg
    sad.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 33
Crazy how different everyone's stories are. Surgery went fine, first day sucked, pain was bad and had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they gave me which lead to severe abdominal and stomach cramps which prevented me from taking the pain meds also, so that sucked, But everything seems fine now. Surgery was only 10 mins and done by a plastic surgeon as that is what I was recommended to request by doctor that did the EMG, I had an orthopedic surgery do a bicep tendon tear last year that I wasn't overly impressed with so I went with the plastic surgeon this time and will do the same when I do the other hand. Thanks for all the input guys.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks