carbon fibre or heavy barrel?

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Thinking about a new plinker (22lr). There are lots to choose from but I want to try shooting at 200m. Wondering about accuracy. Carbon fibre barrel is 1/3 the weight but are they as accurate as a heavy barrelled unit?

I've shot .22lr's and .17hmr's but never the .17wsm and had to read up on that one. Turns out it (WSM) packs a real wallop on whatever it hits as compared to lesser damage from the HMR but both will kill. I'm not sure of the price and availability of either ammo but @Outdorman was looking for a "plinker" and that usually means .22Lr due to cost of ammo but he sounds like he's in the market for a new gun hence his question about barrel types hence my answer as there's a lot more choice in firearms with heavy barrels and if he's just sitting "plinking" weight should not be an issue. Also don't forget to factor in the cost and weight of a good scope.

I didn't answer the question about shooting 200m/yards downrange ? The .22Lr just won't preform as well (if at all ?) as compared the other two (HMR & WSM) and even then they have their limitations. For 200 yards plus type shooting you will have to step up into centerfire varmint calibers.

I routinely drop ground hogs 150 and under with the 17wsm. The ammo is priced fairly similar to the 17HMR. I traded my HMR in on a WSM and I haven’t regretted it one day. I still use my sweet 17 scope on it and it functions as it should. I shoot the 25gr just for a little more ‘snap’ when it hits. I shoot it out of a stainless heavy barrel and it’s a tack driver

it's all going to be at Crumlin, no critters. Just thought it might be different to have to point a 22lr at a 45% angle to get a bullseye.... lol.

But you are right Old Cut, when I sit down it's 250-500 rounds down range. I Drop by Gobles on the way to always make sure there is plenty of leads and targets.

There is the old saying; The right tool for the right job. Sounds like @rcfire77 has one but it's more like a Super-Plinker ? LoL ! Even at 20 bucks for 50 that equals 200 dollars for 500 rounds and that's where the little old .22Lr shines at least pricewise but again it's picking the right tool for the job.

Long range .22 plinking is a genre of its own. I've heard that the slow bullet speed exaggerates your flinch, increasing the challenge. This probably explains why I can't hit squat after 50yds with a .22!

As for the carbon/steel question, I've never picked up a .22 and thought "woah that's heavy" nor have I seen a 50 year old carbon fiber barrel so I'd be going steel all the way.

I have a package of old DCAR from 1977, Smallbore Targets 75 Feet. Not sure what DCAR stands for ? Or maybe it's DCRA ? Dominion of Canada Rifle Assoc. ? It measures 12" x 15 1/2" with ten 3" Bullseye 10 ring targets on it " One shot per Bull" . So at 25 yards my old bolt action, tube feed Cooey's (no scope) will put it in the black all day long but a Bullseye would be a fluke. LoL ! At 50 yards hitting the black is still doable but my eyes aren't what they use to be. Maybe time to add to my armoury ? Always wanted a Semi .22LR like a Nylon 66 with a scope or a Savage 64F but then again I could fill the gap between .22LR and .22/250 with a .17HMR/WSM ?

Mmmmmmmm ? Let's see... March; gotta swap the snow tires and replace O2 sensor...Dang ! April ; gotta get the dog his shots and heartworm meds... Nope ! May; girlfriends birthday... c'mon ! June; house insurance is due... wtf ? July; Sons birthday... maybe he would like a new gun and leave it here at the farm for safe keeping ? Mmmmmmmmm ? I like being retired but sure do miss those overtime paycheques. LoL !

I look at it as you can shoot 22 at 300-500, or shoot big calibre at 1000-2000m. 220 is a lot more accessible and inexpensive in not just ammo, but in optics and places to shoot.

great article, thank you very much. I like to get 1700 and faster but it makes sense to keep speed below speed of sound so no shock wave to change direction, so less than 1100 FPS for the most accuracy. My scope is only 3x9 so it sounds like I need a scope that is at least 15 power and maybe up to a 5x25 or something like that.

great article, thank you very much. I like to get 1700 and faster but it makes sense to keep speed below speed of sound so no shock wave to change direction, so less than 1100 FPS for the most accuracy. My scope is only 3x9 so it sounds like I need a scope that is at least 15 power and maybe up to a 5x25 or something like that.
Go with what you have, and shoot what you can and upgrade when you can :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks