Can't anyone else tow?

On two occasions I have towed in boats to marina. My boat 14 ft 30hp merc, towed boats 18 and 20'. The farthest was I'm lp bay from bait island too booth's. Boat was stranded, coast guard was really busy, and no one would offer a helping hand. After a 30 min trouble shoot with no luck fixing or waving down a similar sized boat, (this is after waving at boats for a hr before I arrived ) we tied on and started the long journey home. Just about 2 hrs. On the way ppl would point and laugh but not one would stop to see if they could lend a hand. I would never hope anyone gets stuck out on the water but to all you ppl who find it to much trouble to help someone. Carma is a bitch, and it can be a tense situation when ur on ur own out there. Stop thinking ow someone else will stop, stop and make sure yourself! who knows what's wrong. U may be the one to save a life sometime just by checking it out. Now that's a story to tell friends and family.

Had a similar incident on the French river a few years ago .
Early in the morning stopped in a small bay for pike ,then
I start hearing a clunk clunk noise ,around the corner came this guy rowing a 16ft alluminum, motor had died .
He had been rowing for over an hour ,guy looked exorsted, young boy with him looked scared to death. Hooked him up and towed him to the Marina he had rented it from.
IT dosen't harm to help somebody in distress

Same thing here. We were stranded in the bay rowing back to shore while boats were detouring around us. We launched St.Willy's and rowed to turkey point.
Finally got a tow from one end of the marina to the other and then they charged us $ for the tow!! I've never launched from turkey point since.
Have towed in 2the boats since. 1 in the bay. 1 up near Bancroft.

I have pulled 2 boats in this year. One boat was in the middle of the bay and needed a tow back to Marina shores. It was a 18' with 7 passengers in it. I told them I wouldn't tow them to that marina with the big boat due to weedy conditions at that end of bay. So I explained to them if they didn't mind to sit and wait, I would go back in and come back with the 18' with an outboard and tow them in. After about a 30 boat exchange and a 2 hour tow they were just glad that I stopped to help.

These people were so glad that I went out of my to help and they rewarded me hugely. It was not like I needed that money but it surely was appreciated. If this boater is reading this, I appreciated the gesture on your part.

This towing in did mess up my time on the water, but at least I stopped to help someone stranded.

Jim

I always thought it was your duty to lend assistance to a fellow boater in distress so long as it did not put yourself in jepordy. I have towed many in and have had to be towed myself a couple of times. Money was always offered( both ways) but never accepted, it was a kinda "pay it foreward" type thing.Hearing stories like this really make you wonder how on earth some people got their operators card !

OCLP. Last 2 times I towed you all you offered was beer!:D

Anytime Bud.

It is not anyones duty to tow. It is a duty to render assistance in a life saving situation.

The OPP brought a boat load of people in 2 weeks ago and left the boat securely moored.

2 yrs ago I went looking for a boat that Coast Guard had left adrift after rescuing the occupants.
BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

i always stop and offer assistance if people need it whether it's a cell phone, radio, boost, tow, etc. believe it or not, last year on the bay i was turned away by 2 guys in a bass boat because they thought it would take too long to tow them in with my tinner and 15hp. obviously they were correct, but i still couldnt believe they'd rather drift than make progress towards shore.

one thing i have noticed during the 4 times that i have offered assistance is that each problem was easily avoidable. 2 were out of gas and the other two had dead batteries. seriously, when you're carrying booster cables and booster packs because you know you're battery is garbage, it's time to buy a new damn battery! i usually turn away money when helping someone, but if it's obvious it's your own fault you're stranded you better cough up some $$$;)

I understand we don't need to tow. But why is it if I'm fishing still, or trolling every dirt bag is withen 20' of me running over my lines or rocking my boat like crazy. Yet when in need they will alter they're path and steer clear. I don't mind towing if needed and excpect nothing in return. But these ppl that are in need and the ones I towed no one even stopped to see why. The first one in burwell was a over heated engine that was smoking like crazy right at the channel opening yet no one stopped. Just hammered down pointed and took off. They could of been on fire and u leave them. Now if the tables are turned and they are in distress they would be livid, not remembering they're own actions. I just hope for all us responsible and respectful boaters when our time of need does arise that we will be treated how we treat others.

I have towed my share of guys in but honestly, unless it is life or death, getting dark, or a storm is rolling in, I will finish my day of fishing first and then tow them in if they still need help. I hear guys on the radio quite often who are out of gas or whatever. I respond and tell them to call me back later if they're still in a pickle but I do not drive 15 miles off shore to turn around and tow someone back in unless it's really necessary.

Maybe I'm a pr1ck but most guys are stuck because they weren't prepared.

My motor died on the way in today. Was able to get it running agin and limped us back the rest of the way. I was very thankful to have had 2 people stop to offer assistance - one boat was on their way out and offered to turn around. Didn't end up needing the help but was nice to know it was there if we did.

Strange problem - motor kept cutting out and would only start with choke. Had to keep pumping the ball to keep engine running. Took the cowl off to find the fuel filter had loosened off and gas was just spilling out. Relieved it was an easy fix! Will now be part of my pre-departure check to make sure it's tight.

A couple of years ago as I was heading out of Port Stanley harbour to go perch fishing I spotted 2 guys in the water hanging onto a small aluminum boat so I turned back to give them assistance. They were both shivering so badly they had trouble answering me when I talked to them. After pulling them from the water and towing their boat to shore they explained they were fishing just off the end of the pier first thing in the morning when somebody in a big boat came blasting by so close he capsized them. The boat then just sped off leaving them in the water with no regard to their welfare whatsoever. I don't know if they didn't even see them or what because I couldn't imagine someone driving off like that. They said several boats after that drove by without stopping either so I have no idea what's wrong with people today. The cool north wind that morning kept pushing them further out until I spotted them and I believe they were getting close to being hypothermic by the time I reached them.

I will help anyone that is in trouble on the water, broke down on the road or anywhere else for that matter. If that takes fishing time out of my day or whatever else I happen to be doing, so be it. And I don't care if it is their own stupidity they got into trouble because I have reached the point in this life to know that we have all done boneheaded actions we regret. That should not cost us our life or to be left to our own demise because someone refuses to make time to help. Just my opinion but that's how I feel about it.

BD ! Beer = money....right ?

Andrewm; Carry a fire extinguisher ! My brother had a leaky choke and it set his motor on fire,he was lucky he had one on board.

Running out of gas is just plain stupid but dead batteries could happen( shouldn't but could) Swamping somebody is crimenal ! The law states that the owner/Capt. is to ensure his vessel is properly maintained and all safety equipment required is on board.

towed a family in from nanticoke. Husband wife and 2 very young children ran out of gas driving from turkey point. un believable that running out of gas. The look on the wifes face was priceless, looked like she was going to divorce him on the spot. Afetr towing them in, the sob didnt even say thanks or anything. What a ass

I keep an extra five gallon can on the boat whenever I go out now, not for myself, but for such emergencies.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks