Cannot get lead out of leadcore

JohnPK

Ok, so I thought it was time for a new leader on my leadcore.....so after about 45 minutes of trying to get about 3 inches of lead out of the core to tie my knot, I gave up on that idea. Did a search on the internet and found where someone said if you cannot get the lead out it was either due to being caught up on bottom and extreme pull on line (that has never happened) or that it was time to replace the leadcore (been about 3 years). Anyways, after some time thinking this over I decided to tie a blood knot. After being careful to pull it tight (tough to do with leadcore to mono), it seems ok now and will move easily through the guides. Just curious if anyone else has had the problem of not being able to get the lead out of the core to attach a leader and what knot they used.
Thanks.

Snip it clean with scissors, hold it loosely about an inch and a half from the end and slide the braid back. should expose the lead core. Grab the lead core and continue to slide the braid away until you have about 6 to 8 inches of lead core exposed, pull off the lead core, tie to braid. Should be that easy.

I have had the same problem with older lead, it usually means its time to replace it if it wont slide easily, hate to loose a big fish (or a $15 lure lol) with the wrong knot or deteriorated line!

Once it gets old it can be quite difficult.....usually I swear a bit, throw something, repeat 3 times and then replace the leadcore. Maybe somebody has a better idea but this works for me.

The only time I can't get the lead out is motivating myself to get out of bed at 4 am to go fishing. Putting on new lead core hasn't solved that problem for me. :ROFLMAO::smuggrin:

Seriously, it's time to change the lead core.:)

Last edited:
Ok, so I thought it was time for a new leader on my leadcore.....so after about 45 minutes of trying to get about 3 inches of lead out of the core to tie my knot, I gave up on that idea. Did a search on the internet and found where someone said if you cannot get the lead out it was either due to being caught up on bottom and extreme pull on line (that has never happened) or that it was time to replace the leadcore (been about 3 years). Anyways, after some time thinking this over I decided to tie a blood knot. After being careful to pull it tight (tough to do with leadcore to mono), it seems ok now and will move easily through the guides. Just curious if anyone else has had the problem of not being able to get the lead out of the core to attach a leader and what knot they used.
Thanks.
Had to look at the title of the post twice....first time I thought it said "LAID" not "lead"....lmao! Thought this might be the wrong forum.....poor reading skills.....sorry! :p

Better idea, get rid of the lead core. Go with Braid or mono with a snap-weight. At least you'd get a better fight from the dragging Walleye.

Had an issue with a brand new spool of core this year and as Hewescraft mention , Snip it clean.

I have snipped it clean and tried to get the lead out at least 6 times..each time snipping off another 4-6 inches. Like I said, I have attached a mono lead to leadcore several times. It is likely time for new core...any general idea as to how long you get from a new rewind of leadcore? 2 years? 5 years?
Thanks for all the responses. Actually before leadcore and riggers I did use a large weight on mono and it likely works just as well.

You get what you pay for in leadcore... Courtland and Tuffline (27lb) only for me... I have some rods I've used for 5 years... Trimming a nice straight edge always helps... The only knots I use are Willis and double Uni... If I get frustrated and can't feed the braid in the sheath I will tie a double uni (always wet your knot!!!)... If I'm at home I will thread braid threw with a needle and out threw the sheath trim and cinch willis knot... Tight lines...

Is a real lead? I thought lea sinkers wh illegal. I got got of of bunch of jig heads because I di w w get caught with lead in th water.

Better idea, get rid of the lead core. Go with Braid or mono with a snap-weight. At least you'd get a better fight from the dragging Walleye.[/QUOTE

I'm leaning towards chucking the leadcore. Especially when we have to start putting out 10 colours because that means I have to bring them back in.

If you use anything but a Willis or double uni knot on leadcore be prepared to loose your lures. If it hasn't happened yet which is what people tell me wait a bit because it will happen, 99% guarantee. The other 1% is Loto Max kind of luck.

Better idea, get rid of the lead core. Go with Braid or mono with a snap-weight. At least you'd get a better fight from the dragging Walleye.

They may work close to the same when it's calm... Can't compare to core when there's a chop... IMO

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks