Off Topic Cannon Downrigger Magnum 5 ST is not working

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi All,

One of my riggers Magnum 5 ST is stopping to work. If I pull the power cable off, then put it back on, I might get it temporarily working until it stops again, with or without pushing that white button next to the up/down switch.

Once this happens, when I press up or down on the rigger, I hear some clicks inside but it does not move the cable. This can be as long as an hour or 20 min depends... This weekend I had like 5-6 occurrences of this.

I will be calling Cannon tomorrow to see if they can do something about it and what does that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" stuff means but thought I would ask you all whether this is something that rings a bell... and whether there is a quick fix since I would prefer for it to be working for tomorrow afternoon :)

Thank you
Vlad

P.S. I know stomp would suggest going easy with salmons on these riggers to which the answer would be HELL NO :p

If they are under warranty you will have to take them to get fixed. Hope you have your receipt. Makes life much easier.

No offense but that's a lame answer @Rock . I prefer Cannons. Some prefer Scottys. Honda vs Toyota style argument.

Hi All,

One of my riggers Magnum 5 ST is stopping to work. If I pull the power cable off, then put it back on, I might get it temporarily working until it stops again, with or without pushing that white button next to the up/down switch.

Once this happens, when I press up or down on the rigger, I hear some clicks inside but it does not move the cable. This can be as long as an hour or 20 min depends... This weekend I had like 5-6 occurrences of this.

I will be calling Cannon tomorrow to see if they can do something about it and what does that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" stuff means but thought I would ask you all whether this is something that rings a bell... and whether there is a quick fix since I would prefer for it to be working for tomorrow afternoon :)

Thank you
Vlad

P.S. I know stomp would suggest going easy with salmons on these riggers to which the answer would be HELL NO :p
Sounds like the gear may be slipping. White button is the circuit breaker. Make sure the cable not getting pinched some where. Check that cable is smooth in the pully.

Sounds like the gear may be slipping. White button is the circuit breaker. Make sure the cable not getting pinched some where. Check that cable is smooth in the pully.
The cable is ok, I can move it freely if I relax the spool.

Mine need a good shove on the plug. Feels tight but will go in further. But either works or doesn't not intermittent. Yours sounds like a weak circuit breaker. See if it works holding the white button in.

When the unit is working, does it run normally; as in speed and strength? I'm going to assume it does; for the test I'm going to try and explain.
Cannon_Mag_5_ST.png
Pull the motor cover (#22) off the side of the unit. Disconnect the two wires from the motor; they are likely plugged into the circuit board.
Cannon Circuit.jpg
Now with a couple of jumper wires, connect the motor's two wires to a 12 volt source. It really doesn't matter which wire goes to positive or negative; it's a DC motor and switching wire configuration will only change the direction of motor rotation. So one wire to positive and the other to negative. If the motor is still only working intermittently or seems to struggle at times; it is likely a motor issue. Witch means it needs to come apart be cleaned, lubricated or worse case be replaced.
If you feel the motor has to come apart; have your phone handy and take pictures of every step of disassembly.
It's a basic DC motor; but a picture is worth a hundred head scratches.
If the motor runs normally with the jumper wires; I'd suggest sending the unit into a repair facility.

Dan.

Attachments

• Cannon Motor.jpg
    Cannon Motor.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 7
Thank you Dan. I have removed the side panel, and the clicking is coming from these white/black stuff on the controller board above. Connected the motor directly to the battery, it seems to work, so it is the controller board... Also will check with the gentleman from the Bay Distributors; Angling Outfitters say that gentleman from there will supposingly will tell me straight up.
Thanks again
Vlad

Thank you Dan. I have removed the side panel, and the clicking is coming from these white/black stuff on the controller board above. Connected the motor directly to the battery, it seems to work, so it is the controller board... Also will check with the gentleman from the Bay Distributors; Angling Outfitters say that gentleman from there will supposingly will tell me straight up.
Thanks again
Vlad
Bay Distributor is awesome
I ordered parts for my manual riggers I just described the parts that I needed he knows his stuff

Well I am on my way to mississauga to get a controller board so that I won't have to follow suggestion of Mr. Stomp🤪🤪🤪

Bay Distributor is awesome
I ordered parts for my manual riggers I just described the parts that I needed he knows his stuff
Not really... He wanted me to ship the downrigger and after his 4-week backlog he said he may have time to test it so NO, he is already not great by my standard. A nice guy, but not great.

Welcome to owning downriggers and things breaking. Cannot blame a guy for being super busy and not being able to get to your stuff for weeks. Better hope you don’t have motor issues as that could take a month before it gets looked at. Welcome to Covid times.

Not really... He wanted me to ship the downrigger and after his 4-week backlog he said he may have time to test it so NO, he is already not great by my standard. A nice guy, but not great.
Well he was great with me
I'm sure they busy this time of the year

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks