Can someone explain.....

Dewworm

OK fished burwell this week..we got 3 man ticket, all on rrf...blue and silver and blueberry muffin..same as everyone else 60 to 62 ft..now....
How the hell does a small 14 to 15 inch walleye
Make a med action rigger rod pulling a dipsey diver shake and be able able to see the bite..meanwhile, a light action rigger rod, clipped into a 5 ft scotty release can have a 5 lb fish grab it and not see the hit..we saw some hits, but even our chamberlin did not release at times with good size fish..it's puzzling.. hope we get some better wind conditions before the fish move away....

The walleye are just hitting lighter and lighter now than I remember from the past.

The videos from @SonsofFishes are quite revealing showing the difference in hits.

I run Chamberlain releases (if I ever run the rigger LoL) set/tune them myself and times they still don't release when a walleye grabs the lure.

Dipsys, it's one indication and then the rod has a slightly bigger bend on super light hits.

Luv bows as there is never a doubt. LoL 🌻

Just bought light rods for my riggers so I can see the rods wiggle and maybe get a little fight. Definitely pop the releases every 20 minutes. Sometimes it triggers a bite and sometimes you dragging one.

Thanks for the responses. I've tried long scottie, short scottie, and chamberlin..someone told me the supper light scottie are good for releases..I'll stick to what I have and just get used to checking every 10min..good habit I guess cause you can change lure colour at the same time..now if mother nature can take a pill and give us a few nice days out there I xan try it. Thanks again guys

Used the chamberlains last weekend, and they were tripping like they should. Maybe with the pics. hitting from below, they are pulling up on the release, instead of back??

What line do you use on your rigger sticks?
How long a lead to you generally use?

If you use mono, depending on the flavour, it can stretch quite a bit. This makes your realease pretty much useless. Your line will need to reach its elastic limit before apply any pressure to a release. Have. A look at the chart below.

Attachments

• IMG_9484.jpeg
    IMG_9484.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 26
What line do you use on your rigger sticks?
How long a lead to you generally use?

If you use mono, depending on the flavour, it can stretch quite a bit. This makes your realease pretty much useless. Your line will need to reach its elastic limit before apply any pressure to a release. Have. A look at the chart below.
I'm using 15 lb big game. Never thought about stretch...makes sense since I see the braid dipsey bites...next time e out may run a braid rod on the rigger..

Use Offshore planer boards, 3 per side, when one falls back from the airplane wing pattern, even a few inches you know you're dragging a fish.

We used mono and flauro on the riggers for our downrigger rod on Erie. Used the same stuff on Erie as lake O. (30 lb mono) Dragged lots of fish

Created 2 new rods for Erie with 15lb braid and 20lb flauro leader for the downriggers (40 foot leader) and the Chaimberlans tight. Rigger rods almost bent over to thouch the water.

Haven’t dragged a fish for a year

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks