burwell wednesday

Frozone

we took our first trip of the year this morning and ended up going 1 for 1 on the walleye and 3 for 6 on the bows.
we fished from 5:30am to 9:30 am in 55 to 60 fow straight south.
speed was between 2 and 3mph.
i had a question when filleting the trout (i double checked and i'm 99% sure they were both trout). one of the fish has very white meat (same as the walleye) and the other has bright pink. how can this be?
thanks for any info.
Frozone

As far as I know the pink flesh is from a natural fish, were as the white flesh is a stocked or farm raised trout.

Lot's of farm raised trout in the Georgian Bay area of Manitoulin Island get out of the pens they could be from there as they can migrate a long way. However you may have bagged a Coho salmon. Not very common to Lake Erie but possible for this time of year. Many folks mistake Coho for Rainbow Trout or Steelhead as they don't always have the bold pink down the sides as they do in the rivers in the fall.

Tight Lines

Thanks guys
I believe that they are rainbows because of the colour of the tongue and gums. these had all white in their mouth and i read that the kings and cohos had black gums.
gonna try some for supper so we will see if i can tell the difference between the two.
cheers
Frozone

The bow that has pink meat have been feeding since they have spawned the one with the white meat has just done spawning not to long a go.Fish bow in the Maitland meat goes white from lack of food over the winter come fall the meat will back to a pink colour. Hope this will clear things up.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks