Burwell Sunday Oct 1

hvyhaul

Made it back out on Sunday as I had hoped, along with my son and neighbour fishing partner.

The winds were a little stronger than forecast and over the day, with their direction, created a fair Walleye chop. No one fell overboard and no one lost their cookies. ;)

We started in 61 ft and headed (trolled) deeper as not much was happening there. I started wondering if we would even come close to our previous catches as it was about an hour boating the first pic. This was a far cry from hooking into one before rod 2 could be set up.

Trolling out into 63-64 ft changed things for us, the bite was more consistent and the size was better than previous weeks.

We moved too far off of an active packet and turned back to go over it again when my neighbour hooked into something significant. He couldn't bring it up and lost line to it numerous times before it finally threw the hook.

I have no problem with losing a fish that can fight like that, but at least let us see what you are before you go.

Years ago fishing with my father (rip) on Lake of Bays, he exclaimed, "I'm snagged" , I replied," no way, we're in 105 ft of water" . I backed up the canoe towards his snag, and I guess the Laker saw the shadow of the canoe and screamed for the bottom. My dad in the front tried to stop it while I screamed from the back, "stick the rod straight down into the water and let it run" , but it all happened so quickly, it was gone.

His biggest concern was losing one of my lures. My only regret was not seeing what could do something like that.

The three of us continued to work the area and actually filled out the remainder of our limit fairly quickly.

As the final Walleye was netted and the, "ok, we're done, let's pull everything in" comment was made, during the process of putting things away, every line released and reeled in had another Walleye on it.

If only the day had started that way.

Total for the day 25 landed, 18 kept, 1 lost at the net, one that never came up, and 2 silver bass.

Didn't find anything outstanding lure wise, a true mixed bag

Water temps 68 and change throughout.

I noted a lot of vacant Marina slips, (both) and far less traffic on the water, but as long as I hear the bite is still on and the weekend warrior weather is decent, I'll continue heading to Burwell to spend some quality time on the water.

Last edited:
Great report, wish we had done the same. Decided to try the elbow on Sunday out of Dover, bumpy ride to start but it actually settled down as the day went on. We landed three eye's and a 3 1/2 lb. Smallie which was a surpise. Another surprise was all fish were caught in 50 ish fow not further out?
Burwell will be my next trip weather permitting.

Great report! I'm hoping the lake is fishable one day over the long weekend as well. That would be something to give thanks too?! :D I was looking for a "praying" emoji but couldn't find one. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks