Burwell eye's ...and a rant...

aces

On the water around 7 am..staright out to 58 fow and started with 2 Dipsies and 2 leadcore. fished until noon, only boated 2. Both came on dipsy / spoon combos, one out 125 on 3, nascar spoon, other out 145 on 3 with Pink Panties spoon, both in 58FOW. Trolled out to 60 with nothing..
Now the Rant.
Tons of radio chatter all morning, many "professionals" out there , had to turn the radio down as there was soooo much bull shi##ng going..Then a boater calls for help in his 24 footer, he and his wife are 7 miles out and dead in the water...crickets...That's funny, everyone's radios were working a minute prior when they wouldn't shut up for more than 30 seconds. The only 2 boats that offered help were mine (18 foot), and another guy in a 17 footer.. Strangely enough, as we spent the next hour and a half towing him and in I was passed by close to 10 boats, including a number of big charter boats who clearly had radios and had heard the call for assistance. I won't mention names, you guys know who you are and that you should of helped, and so do the clients you had on board. We ALL have a responsibility to offer assistance to a boater in big water when they need it, that's how true sportsmen should act. Feel free to disagree, it wont bother me, I know that giving up an hour of fishing time and 40 bucks in fuel was worth it for having done the right thing. Hopefully next time there will be others who step up. Cheers...

Hey ace you are 100% right. Several years back my family and I were out with Jimmy riggin charter. Waves were bad too when a distress call came in. He said we had to tend to it and we all agreed even my sea sick niece. In the end the coast guard beat us there but at least we tried.
I truly hope none of those other guys ever needs the help but karma is a bitch

That is unthinkable to ignore a call for help. Even if it is "just" mechanical trouble and there is no imminent danger.

Well done Aces- you are 100% right and give yourself a pat on the back, I have no problems lending a helping hand and had the same experience in Lake O some years back. The charter boats saw this guys crippled boat heading to the rocks and they kept on trolling and here in my 14ft aluminum and 15hp pull this guys 18fter to safety. Again I would help anyone, with regards to some of these charter boat Captains- I still would but it because it is they right thing to do, but not without having to think twice about it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks