Burwell Aug 10

anonymoose

I was lucky to get an invitation from @noclass to hit the water last night.

We were on the water around 5 and headed to some productive marks from a previous trip, and quickly decided to approach them from a different direction due to the wave activity. We set lines and trolled with the waves, quickly picking up 5 fish.

And then we crossed the great Erie desert. Not a sniff or hint of a fish for FOR AGES. Hope returned when in the distance we spied a bright white Pro-Line.

"That's @tailfeathers" I yelled. "The walleye play in his wake, frequently jumping aboard of their own volition!"

Excitement built as we crossed in behind him. A quick text back from @tailfeathers said "you're on the fish, just reel the damn things in!"

Then the reality of the situation sunk in. Those fish had already voluntarily boarded the @tailfeathers vessel. Nothing lives to see another day after @tailfeathers passes over.

Realizing that we needed to make a move, we made the quick decision to turn around 180 degrees, and troll into the waves, back through the vast Erie desert, where no fish are to be found. This definitely was the only logical move to make. You see, knowing that there were no fish there meant that we had no distractions while concentrating on the challenge of steering while trolling into the waves.

Finally, we ended up where we started. Bite me Elmo dragged fish after fish aboard, piling the cooler with delicious walleye. Sunset caught up to us and we wound up a couple fish shy of our limit, but with some happy kids with sore arms for their efforts. 21 walleye, 1 sheep.

We were on the water around 5 and headed to some productive marks from a previous trip, and quickly decided to approach them from a different direction due to the wave activity. We set lines and trolled with the waves, quickly picking up 5 fish.

And then we crossed the great Erie desert. Not a sniff or hint of a fish for FOR AGES. Hope returned when in the distance we spied a bright white Pro-Line.

"That's @tailfeathers" I yelled. "The walleye play in his wake, frequently jumping aboard of their own volition!"

Excitement built as we crossed in behind him. A quick text back from @tailfeathers said "you're on the fish, just reel the damn things in!"

Then the reality of the situation sunk in. Those fish had already voluntarily boarded the @tailfeathers vessel. Nothing lives to see another day after @tailfeathers passes over.

Realizing that we needed to make a move, we made the quick decision to turn around 180 degrees, and troll into the waves, back through the vast Erie desert, where no fish are to be found. This definitely was the only logical move to make. You see, knowing that there were no fish there meant that we had no distractions while concentrating on the challenge of steering while trolling into the waves.

Finally, we ended up where we started. Bite me Elmo dragged fish after fish aboard, piling the cooler with delicious walleye. Sunset caught up to us and we wound up a couple fish shy of our limit, but with some happy kids with sore arms for their efforts. 21 walleye, 1 sheep.
@anonymoose , I ended up in that dead zone yesterday. It can be a great time to get a tan cause nothing else is going on...lol Thanks to @hvyhaul for his words of encouragement I filled my ticket..

What depth is your dead zone in

It's been anywhere from 52-58 ft depending on the the day, but there is always an area from where the bite, however slow it may be stops and doesn't start again until deeper water.

Three feet deeper on Erie is a long way flat line.

Deeper water is more productive than shallower for most people.

Every day I've been out, boats have run out past me to 64 and deeper completely bypassing any good fishing shallower.(radio chatter and visual)

It must work, as to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result is probably pretty frustrating. 🌻

Last edited:
@anonymoose , I ended up in that dead zone yesterday. It can be a great time to get a tan cause nothing else is going on...lol Thanks to @hvyhaul for his words of encouragement I filled my ticket..
I didn't leave any gear in the lake yesterday @Cap'nkirk but I just found some of the captain's gear in my pocket! Woo hoo free shit! And yes, my blanket is in wonderbread!

Attachments

• 20220811_161725.jpg
    20220811_161725.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 19

Glad you kept your distance and seen the results of the new tailfeathers lure that I and the development team were trying out. We never actually put the lure in the water as we were afraid the fish entering the boat would swamp us! One of my associates just waved the lure briefly at the edge of the boat and magically 18 fish jumped in the back of the boat making the Erie desert a little bigger lol. Love you colorful reports please keep them coming. If you'd like to be part of my development team umm ah no forget it they're pretty your not lol.

Attachments

• 20220810_153634.jpg
    20220810_153634.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 63
Glad you kept your distance and seen the results of the new tailfeathers lure that I and the development team were trying out. We never actually put the lure in the water as we were afraid the fish entering the boat would swamp us! One of my associates just waved the lure briefly at the edge of the boat and magically 18 fish jumped in the back of the boat making the Erie desert a little bigger lol. Love you colorful reports please keep them coming. If you'd like to be part of my development team umm ah no forget it they're pretty your not lol.
:unsure:New marketing campaign Tom? :ROFLMAO:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks