Burwell 25th

ch312

Great day to be out solo with low wind and plenty of fish to be had. It took an hour to get them figured out, but when I did my arms took a beating from reeling in so many fish between 630 - 9am.

Riggers and leadcore took 0
Dipseys took 1
Jet diver size 20, 30, 40 straight back took 0
Jet 20 on planer boards took 16 walleye

I could troll the jet 20 straight behind the boat for 15 minutes without a sniff. Put on planer board and a fish would hit within minutes. I did this 5 times and was a definitive pattern, I didn't realize how much of a difference the boards make.

All but 2 came on pink panties between 56-58 fow.

Plenty of frustrated fishermen out there today by the sounds of things.

ch312 ? what kind or size planner boards are u using .i assume there in line?

Opti tackle large inline boards, this was my first time using them and the clips do not hold well enough. I must say, inline boards truly suck compared to big boards off a mast.

Inline - have to really pay attention to notice smaller fish plus you have to fight the board along with the fish.

Mast and boards - take up more space on the boat, but any size walleye will pop the release and it's only you and the fish with no board getting in the way. Plus they pull way farther from the boat.

After using big boards for years and now trying inlines again, I can't see why anyone would choose inlines over big boards....

I forgot to add that running the jet 20's they had to be 140ft+ back and at least 50ft from the boat to get consistent hits.

@ch312 glad you had good day.

Funny how on different boats, methods can be so extremely different and the results so similar.

I had inline boards. riggers, big boards and dipsys on the boat. Elected to set up a standard 4 dipsy spread, ran relatively short leads and put in excess of a 2 man limit into the boat.

@ch312 glad you had good day.

Funny how on different boats, methods can be so extremely different and the results so similar.

I had inline boards. riggers, big boards and dipsys on the boat. Elected to set up a standard 4 dipsy spread, ran relatively short leads and put in excess of a 2 man limit into the boat.

Dipsys are my go to and always first in the water. I tried multiple settings and line out along with the usual cranks and spoons. They just wouldn't fire.

Is it possible some boat/motor/electronic configurations spook fish more or less than others? The drastic change in luck after switching to inlines has me wondering.

It's funny I was dead set against inline, didnt like that they had to be removed while reeling in..I tried it mid day sat, put a deep bandit on and within3 min had a fish on..reset and had another within5...this was during the 2-3 pm time slot..we were boating the occasional fish up till that time on dipseys,very few on riggers..next outing as long as the fish are still high I'm putting out a in line in my spread..
I think if you can it's better with a mast..
Do the clips they use on mast style planers allow for light bites..

It's funny I was dead set against inline, didnt like that they had to be removed while reeling in..I tried it mid day sat, put a deep bandit on and within3 min had a fish on..reset and had another within5...this was during the 2-3 pm time slot..we were boating the occasional fish up till that time on dipseys,very few on riggers..next outing as long as the fish are still high I'm putting out a in line in my spread..
I think if you can it's better with a mast..
Do the clips they use on mast style planers allow for light bites..

I use DIY releases when using the big boards and mast that will release when the lure is fouled with weeds or a perch hits. I’ll be sticking to big boards and only using inlines when I have the kids with me to save space.

Inlines would be better with tattle flags, but they’re nowhere as good as big boards.

@ch312 I have 2 with tattles and 2 bigger without. Most times the tattle pulls back just with the speed , or the braid slipping and is useless.

When the board pulls back from its usual alignment is what I have used for"fish on".

Honestly, don't use them much, and not the biggest fan of inlines yet.

I agree it is funny how each boat has somewhat different results. I was out with PuddleJumper Sunday 6:45-12.
We were running deep diver reef runners and rapalas off the in-line boards 125' back til about 930 and then pushed them back to 160. we also ran spoons on dipseys #1 setting only 40-50' behind boat til about 930 and then dropped them 90 and 120 back. we caught a few on pink panties, nascar and a blueberry muffin RRF, but the bulk of fish came on blue/silver/red body baits and the blue silver RRF.....we gave up counting but ended up with about 40-45 with only 3 fish lost.....the in-line boards probably were 60% of production but we had steady action on the dipseys as well and i was shocked they were hitting them 40 and 50' straight back behind the boat. We did have to pay alot of attention to the inline boards looking for anything inconsistent and were checking baits constantly but it was a great day on Burwell....morning bite was 56-58' and after 930 everything came in 52-56' trolling straight out and east.....speed was 2.4 - 2.8 at the boat.

@ch312 I have 2 with tattles and 2 bigger without. Most times the tattle pulls back just with the speed , or the braid slipping and is useless.

When the board pulls back from its usual alignment is what I have used for"fish on".

Honestly, don't use them much, and not the biggest fan of inlines yet.

I was considering the tattle flag kit, but you’re saying I should just pay better attention to the boards position and not bother with the flags?

Do you guys use both clips so the boards stay in a fixed position or use a snap on the back to allow the board to slide down towards the lure? Having to reel in with a board flopping on the line was driving me nuts.

1596031029624.png1596031269629.png

I been running the offshore inlines successfully for years..
I run my boards fixed on the line with these
large snap on the rear...
and a offshore adjustable release on the front...
pay attention to the board & the rod tip loaded up with a fish big or small..
it takes well focused experience..

I was considering the tattle flag kit, but you’re saying I should just pay better attention to the boards position and not bother with the flags?

Do you guys use both clips so the boards stay in a fixed position or use a snap on the back to allow the board to slide down towards the lure? Having to reel in with a board flopping on the line was driving me nuts.

I'm only saying for me at present, I've been given a heads up on a different release clip, so once I get them my opinion may change.

I use fixed position so the board pulls the whole way in. I had a Magnum board submarine on me once, that was no run reeling in with a Wally on the line.

People say they work, I just haven't found the magic yet.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks