Bunk trailer replacement Questions.

Tcat

Hi Guys While winterizing the boat noticed it's time to replace the Bunk trailer boards and carpeting. What's everyone's using for material and wood.I assume 2x6s.Also where do you get carpeting from? Thanks in advance.

FWIW I've heard great things about using composite lumber for bunks. Cost more but will outlast the boat, the trailer, the owner...

Some people don't even carpet them but I would worry about the boat just sliding off at the ramp. Wouldn't be able to staple on the carpet either but I would think carpet adhesive would bond nicely.

Make sure you don’t fully wrap the wood in carpet. Leave opening and the wood exposed on the bottom side to allow the water to drain and the wood to dry so it doesn’t rot. You will get a longer life by doing it this way

Sometimes you can re-use the carpeting. Agree with lazywave although I have no experience to prove the concept works. I used treated 2x6 lumber to replace 4 original bunks that lasted 11 years. Have had mixed experience with treated lumber and can only say that it does not compare with cedar for use as fence posts. I have some fence posts that are 44 years old and are still fine. Have replaced treated posts less than half that age.

I called Extreme Marine before I posted on Stomps68.Guy I talked to was most helpful has 11 inch carpet $3 a foot, and 18 inch by 18 feet for $100 a roll. I thought the same thing about with 18 inch carpet how would the wood dry. Was thinking more on the lines of 11 inch with bottom of wood left open for better drying.

Redid mine this spring. As mentioned above if your boat is aluminum don't use PT. Replace with the same length and width or else things like transducers or hull ribs may not align properly. CAS marine in Ayr had 12 foot rolls for 50 bucks. So far holding up perfectly. The most fun was actually lifting the boat off in the garage. A little nerve wracking.

I have to ask.. Why not use PT lumber? I assume you'd be referring to the chemical used in the PT process?

Thanks

PT is treated with copper which will react with aluminum and can cause it to fail if they come into contact. Your good as long as the carpet holds up, but why risk it?

Thanks Spincast - I did a quick Google while waiting for responses. Also did a UTube search, found one guy said it was a no-no and another who said it was OK. The poster who said it was OK had done some research and he discovered that there were at least 2 methods of pressure treating woods. AS you say if the treatment contained copper then big no-no.
I redid my bunks 3 years ago so may be in trouble. They are carpeted but as soon as it comes out of storage I'll replace using cedar. Here's hoping any damage is minimal

Thanks again

I replaced my bunk carpet this past spring with uhmw on sieana 2x6.What a huge difference.Boat alignment to the trailer was 100% for 22 launches.I could winch my 18 foot onto my trailer with one hand.Very little resistance compared to bunk carpet.

I replaced my bunk carpet this past spring with uhmw on sieana 2x6.What a huge difference.Boat alignment to the trailer was 100% for 22 launches.I could winch my 18 foot onto my trailer with one hand.Very little resistance compared to bunk carpet.
I did the same with mine.

My late buddy who was a carpet layer for 40 years redid mine using pressure treated lumber. However he coated them with carpet adhesive which totally sealed the lumber then stapled on a super tough carpet used for tennis courts. Have been on 12 years now with no issues with the aluminum hull. Agree with @Duck Soup it's better to use red cedar which easily outlasts PT if unsealed from the elements.

Brown trout what is uhmw on sienna 2x6 is that the composite decking material? If so how expensive is it? And where do you get it? Also do you cover with carpeting? Thanks

I had thought about doing that, but was concerned about the uhmw scratching the paint on the boat - how does the bottom of the boat look after a couple of seasons?

A little tough to tell with all the war wounds from creek running. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_145300.jpg
    IMG_20200618_145300.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 35
Tcat,its nylon puck board.Its 1/2" thick x 6"wide x length.I bought mine from Rubberline in Brantford.It replaces the carpet.Sieana is the new pressuretreat with out those nasty chemicals that were in the green pressure treated wood.Total cost is about $200.Hope this helps.

Puck Board is what I did to my trailer it does scratch the paint.
It launches very easy, make sure your boat is in the water before you unhook it from the wench.
pcXAEvT.jpg

RIR5atj.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks