Building a Worm Harness?

Beanstir

I was hoping to get a little advise on worm harnesses to be used late next spring and early summer. I plan on trying to go to the Erieau area to try my luck. I had some success in a northern lake using a number 5 blade with number 6 beads. This successful day was the first and only time I have used a worm harness. This is why I am asking for some help. I was wondering if I should go to a number 6 blade? Or smaller blade? I have read that the colour gold is good? The usual number 6 beads? Florouçarbon line in 15 pound? Any tips on building a worm harness would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Beanstir

Luremaking.com is a great place to order components based out of own sound, I'm interested to see what everyone uses for size too. Out west I've had more more luck with number 3s and 4's for walleye, with 5's being a pike killer.

#5 Colorado a total of 12beads...7 on the tail to a blade ..then 4more then second blade then one bead on top..20 lb. Floro ...I like the copper backed blades they seem to produce more eyes less junk. Various colours depends on there mood I guess20180714_113721.jpg20180714_113721.jpg20180819_172025.jpg20180703_152510-1.jpg

I run #5's with 5 mil beads double hook fluorocarbon line
Fluor stands up to the spinning abrasion better
Lurmaking great place to start up

Thanks for the replies. gihisher, what type are the beads you are using? luremaking.com has gold beads "hollow metal beads" in 1/4", "Mother of pearl & gold/silver plated beads" size 6, "Metal Finished Plastic" size 5. I would like to try a harness with gold beads, not sure about the type of bead. If anyone can help with the type of bead I would appreciate it. Thank You Beanstir

Thanks for the replies. gihisher, what type are the beads you are using? luremaking.com has gold beads "hollow metal beads" in 1/4", "Mother of pearl & gold/silver plated beads" size 6, "Metal Finished Plastic" size 5. I would like to try a harness with gold beads, not sure about the type of bead. If anyone can help with the type of bead I would appreciate it. Thank You Beanstir
The beads I use are 6mm plastic painted
My go to colours are gold with a couple black in the mix...but my second fav colour is oil slick I use that colour when my blades are darker e.g.dark purple black etc..20190101_134426.jpg20190101_134032.jpg

Beanstir where are you located? If you're close I can show you how I make mine.

Owen Sound, around the corner from www.luremaking.com. I am good with tying the harness, not sure about the colour combinations and types of beads. I ordered these metallic beads. http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue...ue-items/simulated_pearl_beads_and_plated.htm
I assume the bead size is 6. What size of blade is best. I have a good selection of size 5 blades, would it be an idea to step up to size 6 for the open waters of Erie? Does size matter? My wife says it doesn't. She is not on the water very much.
I like that double blade harness. I plan on using 17lb fluorocarbon InvizX, #2 red hooks, quick change clevis, size 6 beads and size 5 or 6 Silver Streak Colorado Blades https://www.fishusa.com/product/Wolverine-Tackle-Silver-Streak-Colorado-Blades

17-20lb line. Size 5 or 6 beads,, I like purples, pinks, chartreuse, and gold, size 5 or 6 Colorado blades(they give a lot of vibration off). I live close to erieau and fish the area a lot.. generally good numbers of walleye aren't around until sometime in June, west of point pelee is better earlier than that,, and to be honest I only run spinners west of point pelee or in st Clair.. erieau area is where crank baits and spoons shine.

Dbfishing.com has an insane blade selection

Last edited:
All good info above. Remember the acronym "PROP" purple, red orange & pink. Blades with these colours or combination always seem to produce well, silver or gold backs I don't find makes much difference in the western basin. Use beads of similar colours. Some days in the western basin the walleye are so abundant it doesn't matter what colours you run. I like #6 blades and if I'm running a 6 rod spread or more I will toss out one line with a #8 blade just to make some extra noise.

Last edited:
If you want to buy stuff to build harnesses, google 'Real Pro's SportFishing' their in Hepworth On. Only sell on-line. Large variety of parts and great delivery service. I find their selection as good as or better than the US suppliers and their prices are better when you take shipping, duty and exchange into consideration.

Thanks again for the replies. I checked Dbfishing.com for blades. Great selection and good prices but expensive to ship to Canada. I had $64 worth of stuff in the shopping cart and shipping was $36.80. Thanks Chipper for the tips. I appreciate your help. 'Real Pro's SportFishing' is luremaking.com, they are around the corner from me. I wish they had the selection of blades that Dbfishing.com has. Thanks again Beanstir

There was a guy selling custom painted blades from the Hamilton area a few years ago
Kijiji I think
Google silver streak blades, They are made in MI and they have Canadian dealers (Barneys in erieau ) and a online store ( in Canada )

very good info you got here...
just to add...
light line spinning tackle for june post spawn pics is a must do for me...like chipper said LSC & and west of peele on erie ..like Leamington is loaded with stupid hungry fish...date & location is everything..

I go way back from the days of the "go getters" single colarado blade and when the erie dearie was new..
for years now I use willow leaf wormharness blades usually off bottombouncers for both waters...for even less resistance on 8lb gamma...the toms forward weight spinner is a top favourite some days for us on LSC....colours differ on the day...the greens & the red and sometimes purple...we usually can burn up to 6 dozen worms for a 2 man LSC pic limit..
jigs (& with minnows) & cranks & body baits are our earliest baits into May..
erieau & wheatly has great fishing early rainbows and lots of pics later July...I fish there before and after the Erieau July derby...last season was SS copper spoons clean off the riggers...

you can review historic fishing reports on
Erieau Marina site
Wheatly Harbour Authority site

Last edited:
very good info you got here...
just to add...
light line spinning tackle for june post spawn pics is a must do for me...like chipper said LSC & and west of peele on erie ..like Leamington is loaded with stupid hungry fish...date & location is everything..

I go way back from the days of the "go getters" single colarado blade and when the erie dearie was new..
for years now I use willow leaf wormharness blades usually off bottombouncers for both waters...for even less resistance on 8lb gamma...the toms forward weight spinner is a top favourite some days for us on LSC....colours differ on the day...the greens & the red and sometimes purple...we usually can burn up to 6 dozen worms for a 2 man LSC pic limit..
jigs (& with minnows) & cranks & body baits are our earliest baits into May..
erieau & wheatly has great fishing early rainbows and lots of pics later July...I fish there before and after the Erieau July derby...last season was SS copper spoons clean off the riggers...

you can review historic fishing reports on
Erieau Marina site
Wheatly Harbour Authority site
Never fished LSC but if I were to go through that many worms in a day i would want to be trying slices of beef heart, holds up a bit better.

hey bryon...how many spawn bags do ya go thru in an outing.. say with a buddy...lots...on LSC on my boat fishin we take the 6 dozen worms...so we don't run out..and most days its not hard to use most of them up...its a mutli species lake...from perch to musky..and settin the hook on weeds is a No No...honestly give LSC a try sometime...;)

Last edited:
hey bryon...how many spawn bags do ya go thru in an outing.. say with a buddy...lots...on LSC on my boat fishin we take the 6 dozen worms...so we don't run out..and most days its not hard to use most of them up...its a mutli species lake...from perch to musky..and settin the hook on weeds is a No No...honestly give LSC a try sometime...;)
Sorry, I dont tie the beef heart. I just buy some from the store, thaw it out and cut it into strips the size of a fat leech. Some days itll out produce the worm some days it wont giver a try

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks