bucket list fishing trips coming up..and what about 2023?

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
last time out on erie was September 8th port stanley by myself 6 pics..

my apetite for adventure this time around is super super hungry to travel & fish..ya last seasons very good puerto lopez marlin & mahi fishing on the rosita I will miss, Ya Ecuador 3 month 90 day tourist visa passport stamped is good in 1 year...and i burned 88 days of it...
if you want another 90 days for 6 months in the 1 year time not calender you have to apply for it and its also $500 U.S up front with the application..I told Capt. Charlies son Fabian about it and he sends me a photo of 2 nice wahoo they caught recently..I will think about it next season... this time I am finally returning back to fishing the Pacific coast of Mexico, thus the Mexican Pesos the Mexican food and the Mexican girls..

I booked my primary travel with Air Canada for Nov 13 direct Toronto to Cabo San Lucus for 45 days.. apartment is booked
for my 2nd half best I could find secondary flight booked Dec. 28th heading south on Vivaaerobus via 1 hour stop Guadalajara onto Puerto Vallarta for 44 days right thru January and flying home February 10 direct to Toronto..

looking forward to getting out fishing and theres plenty of water

looking for quality.. there are famous finger banks to the north 50 to 200 miles and 50 miles WNW is Golden Gate, One trip to a bank took us almost 7 hours north to get there..but the action was worth it..and on a Grady White with dual yamahas

the Sea of Cortez, never fished it..
back in the day Puerto Vallarta was good fishing for a mixed bag including billfish

cant wait to get down there and settled in
1665169037898.png

Last edited:
Thanks alot Harold for reminding me..ya..thinking back on some outstanding Cabo action.. is when my Gf fighting out a stripped marlin...and I look and spot a killer whale Orca at several hundred yards killing a sea lion and then throwing it way up in the air at least 3X ...that was a Wow..ya the marlin action on the boat that half day was like no other..

Cabo fishing reports... watching the tournaments & hurricaines come and go.. so far last week one funnel cloud with an eye on windy.com ended up to be hurricaine Orlene Cat 3 to a 4 just south of Puerto Vallarta..
checking out the
leader boards for Bisbee Black n Blue starts ends Oct. 25-29
the Tuna Jack pot Nov. 3, 4

I would like to respect our Cabo billfish like we use to..where we catch n release and they swim away.., we keep the Mahi Mahi, yumm..catching double header big dorados is also excellent sport..

Last edited:
Sounds amazing down there. A small group of us are going to Cabo for my friends and my 50th. Only for a week. I have booked 2 days with a charter and plan on doing a third even if I am on my own. Never fished that far south. Fish the pacific as far north as Port McNeil and Port Hardy for Kings but never tropical. We leave Jan 3. Hope to catch Mahi Mahi any sort of bill fish, tuna... whatever is there to catch. I do not care just love being on the water looking for excitement.

Thanks jaymag for the message, Good for you and your group heading to Cabo..you say Jan 3 2023..well just in time for the full moon I read scheduled for Jan 5th...I hope the marine weather and seas are good for your charters and with a good crew..hey having fun hunting for fish and watching your spread...stay focosed and put your time in.. right place..Good Luck Amigos..hope you get a double header on big pacific Mahi Mahi..and the marlin will come..

heres what i remember for best overall Cabo action.. finger bank trip out of our 6 trips in 2 weeks..in December Cabo..
headin north at first light the crew of 5 of us with a vicious north head wind it was rough goin ...stopping 2x the Capt. and me catching live bait mackerel quick on fishing rods and filled the live well with lots on our 2nd stop..7 hours later just before 2 pm where seas were calming, we found and hooked up with stripped marlins thats plural, what i will never forget we had a moment where we got a stripped marlin fighting at the back of the boat in with a pod of active porpoising marlin driving bait size mackerel where frigit birds were hovered over top.. pickin the mackerel off the surface..a super WoW.. one of those marine life moments where you are right there..
a bit later we landed a bigger black marlin..and the story for that is..ya somebody said insane..

i got 89 days to pick a few winners & screamers.. half cabo & half puerto Vallarta..

and if there is better action somewhere else and i can get there..who knows whats up for the 2nd half..

Once again your spectacular trips and keeping us all up to date will feed my vicarious dreams ... it is now beyond me to enjoy such demanding fishing .... go get 'em Mick

Thanks alot @Stormin Norman for the encouragement..

Iam so so looking forward to spending plenty of time in Mexico.

thats a good question @Tyler

well let me begin with the value of the Canadian dollar currency against the Mexican pesos..the pesos has gained value quickly this year making it more expensive, but still offering value with my budget.

to answer your question the cost I had to pay approx. 66% upfront with an Airbnb 1 bedroom apartment in Cabo for $30 CA a night, I am staying 45 nights in Cabo..I bought a one way plane ticket from Cabo to Puerto Vallarta $300 CA and scheduled to stay 44 nights, for a total of 89 nights.. I have not booked my stay in Puerto Vallarta as of yet..but I do have a return ticket from there to Toronto on Feb. 10..but then I have a history of changing my return flight for unforseen events that make my adventures real..

just to mention if your looking for a cheap pesos is Colombia..incredible value this year with either dollar CA or U.S..

Ecuador official currency is the U.S dollar..earlier this year in puerto lopez its been $30 U.S a night renting with 3 different propertys since January 2019..

the Ecuador gasoline subsidies was the bonus for offshore sportfishing on the Rosita..

Fished Cabo many times over 25 yrs. Best day out was a 13 marlin in 4hrs at Golden Gate. If the bait balls are there it can be incredible. Have fun. Look up Grant Hartman of Baja Anglers. You will not be disappointed

Thanks @Lpgar for the message, sounds like you got hooked on fishing billfish.. congrats on the catches..
yes we fished around Golden Gate area as well..I do remember hooking up with stripped marlin, and the Orca sea lion kill and I was jerking & jigging a mackerel and caught a Mako shark...not small & but not to big..

Yes I have lots of years and trips fishing off Mexico including where I started billfishing was off Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta Mazatlan & Cabo on many different boats..

The Mexicans I remember were good Captains Seaman fishermen and deck hands..one thing in common is a team effort and alot of fun..prices were good too..I looked for experienced & performance over luxury..

I got countless photo albums with 35 mm photos of world travel including saltwater fishing trips..

I am thankful my first saltwater fishing when my parents owned property in florida and did plenty of fishing, mostly bottom fishing on the party boats, snapper & tug a war groupers..
I remember trolling live bait for action packed screamer kingfish..that was alot of fun..
Henry Wazachuk a CFL player and a Canadian said it best nothing fights better then saltwater. I had the pleasure of chatting with Henry about fishing when i was down in Florida..

I encourage you young guys to get down there and do it while you can..like why wouldn`t you go ..ya there is a budget for eveybody..
Looking forward to heading down to the Cabo marina and take a stroll and sea whats happening..I got several days to burn..like 89 of um..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks