Bruce perchin July 28th

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Another slow day east of Bruce in 42 fow with only 65 keepers for 3 guys.:meh: This has to be my worst start to a fishing season in 40 years, it's getting embarrassing.:bored: Is anyone else experiencing my frustration this year?:whistle:

PERCH
- 1st trip 5
- 2nd trip 120
- 3rd trip 28
- 4th trip 65

Walleye & Bows
- 1st trip 1 small bow & 1 humungous farm animal, 2 silvers
- 2nd trip zero & more silvers than I care to count

doing better then me as far as pier fishing goes-----total count 19:p

last wed was best day so far at Bruce and still got shut out:rolleyes:

still 65 not too shabby an effort:)

How many fish is enough @Wave Runner ? It seems if guys here aren't limiting out they are disappointed. I would be very happy with those numbers meat hunting. 218 perch! Are you feeding the neighbourhood? 65 keepers is a slow day man? I know guys that have never caught 218 perch in their lives and are happy. Come to think about it I don't think I have caught that many in 5 years. We put 25 each in the box and I'm done. It certainly isn't much of a challenge catching schooling perch, minnow, hook, weight, drop, set hook, reel, repeat 100 times. Cleaning fish for hours is not my idea of fun, no way.

I'm happy to be able to go fishing, catching a few is the bonus.

just how far east are you going ..we have had some of the very best fishing in the world this year ...it started real good at the sandhills and now it has been just out of this world as far as clear creek and hastings ,,,Dutch

@packrat I know the pier guys have been frustrated this year also. In my passes by the Bruce pier I have watched carefully to see how they are doing and I think I've only seen 1 perch pulled in. That also is very unusual at Port Bruce. I wish you better luck and it will come soon I believe with the hotter weather we're getting now.(y)

@WhatsthePoint I guess I'm just spoiled as I'm used to Bruce and Stanley being so spectacular at this time of year. It's been a very strange year so far for both walleye and perch numbers. @Bruce Graham who usually fishes the pump station at Stanley and always does very well has also struggled this season. In the past he has a ton of successful posts by this point. The fish are just simply not there like they usually are. How many do I need? Well not that many for myself. I do however have 5 other family members as well as some friends that love fish and the guys I fish with do also so the perch get spread thin in a hurry. I'm quite proficient at cleaning fish with an electric filleting knife and don't mind the task, it's just part of fishing is how I look at it.:)

It certainly isn't much of a challenge catching schooling perch, minnow, hook, weight, drop, set hook, reel, repeat 100 times. If it's really that simple WTP then you should be catching more perch and so should I, right?:D Putting aside those occasional days when they bite a bare hook I think there's a difference. When 1 boat with 2 guys takes home a 100 perch and the boat beside them with 4 guys takes home 25 I think there's a little more to the equation. Or 2 boats musky fishing the same area and 1 nets 5 musky and the other gets zip... well the same applies.:joyful:

@Dutch I'm aware of how good the fishing is in the east this year. Hastings is without a doubt the best perch grounds not only on Erie but the entire Great Lakes system. But at my age I'm not into running the gauntlet with a 36 mile round trip from Burwell and usually have no need to. My nephew was at Hastings yesterday and had their 3 man limit of jumbos in an 1 1/2 hours. Then 2 of them went to the elbow in the afternoon and got their limit of 12 walleye. Yes the fishing has been phenomenal to the east this year but I'll wait them out here in the Central Basin. I know they'll show up here in good numbers sooner or later.(y)

Last edited:
Found fishing slow at Bruce in the boat on Sunday, and took a walk along the pier Monday morning. With perfect conditions I didn't see a single fish reeled in, in the 1o minutes or so I stood on the pier. Only about a dozen people as well. I remember a few years back, even on a weekday, the entire pier would be packed...

I'm sorry @Wave Runner I can't agree when it comes to a skill set to catch perch. You are on them or you aren't. What are a few tactics that you use other than what I stated? If you want to share. It ain't rocket science.

To compare Musky fishing to perch fishing is ridiculous. I say this with no disrespect. To compare any game fishing with perching is ridiculous. When a 5 year old can go to Hastings with Big what's his name and limits out makes my point.

Found fishing slow at Bruce in the boat on Sunday, and took a walk along the pier Monday morning. With perfect conditions I didn't see a single fish reeled in, in the 1o minutes or so I stood on the pier. Only about a dozen people as well. I remember a few years back, even on a weekday, the entire pier would be packed...

I got out Sunday morning, on water by 7am they were aggressive in 37 fow until about 10am then it got really slow. My goal next time I go out is to be on water before or as the sun rises.

I'm sorry @Wave Runner I can't agree when it comes to a skill set to catch perch. You are on them or you aren't. What are a few tactics that you use other than what I stated? If you want to share. It ain't rocket science.

To compare Musky fishing to perch fishing is ridiculous. I say this with no disrespect. To compare any game fishing with perching is ridiculous. When a 5 year old can go to Hastings with Big what's his name and limits out makes my point.

o_O Hey we're all entitled to our own opinions which by the way you always seem to have plenty of. LOL!! ;)

passed on an invite to fish Burwell Wed----had stuff to do(TOO HOT FOR THIS GUY):D

Checked with my friend at 6 last night----just pulling in to driveway here in Brantford---Thinking WOW must have done good????

WRONG----talked to him this morning---brought home-----SIX (perch)----and that's not a typo:p:p

so I don't feel too bad about MY skimpy catches:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle:

any idea were he was fishing packrat ,,,we got a half a cooler full yesterday east of burwell ,,,,Dutch

any idea were he was fishing packrat ,,,we got a half a cooler full yesterday east of burwell ,,,,Dutch

not really sure Dutch---but I ASSUME he was down by the silver barn

didn't give me a lot of details----got checked by MNR at dock coming in

the sandhills and the silver barn have been very slow that last few weeks ,A month ago it was on fire ,,Dutch

I marked many balls of something that some of which were spread out along the bottom and some in a 5 foot ball yesterday in 65 to 80 feet of water. Perch ? Of course only afterwards I thought I should have dropped a line down to see if I got a hit. I will bring a few minnows next time and investigate if this wind ever stops. Calling for high winds for a week solid.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks