Bruce Perch Sept 19

stackman1

Out of NEM at noonish, 3 guys, 3 scoops nice minnows. Went to 3 trees, 41 fow, didn't move, kept 80 nice perch 9-14". Ran out of minnows! Hard core visit from OPP, really gave us the rundown, boy! Glad I had everything in order, including boat ownership and registration papers, fire extinguisher, flares, whistles etc, etc. Nice day with my son and buddy. Whatever!

Man I had my boat from 87 I wouldn't know where to look for papers
Safety stuff I could find blind folded.

I didn't know they asked for ownership. I tend to keep mine in the truck. Good to know. I'll put it aboard.

It's Federal registration they are looking for according to the OPP that stopped me twice 2 years ago. One week apart. Mine was in my truck, they let it pass. They never asked the first stop. They call in the reg. numbers on your bow and if it matches your Boat Safe card they know you have it. I was told 60% of all small vessels in Canada don't have the proper paper work. Lost or never switched owners. Higher for trailers.

I have never been intimidated by any Police in my life. Border security in the USA, Europe and the Middle East definitely. They have a job to do that most wouldn't want. Be civil and respectful with them and 99% of the time they return the respect. There is always going to be an idiot on any job.

Last edited:
What gives them the right Mick? The Police Services Act and Transport Canada Marine rules and regulations. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, provincial and municipal police forces, and other local authorities enforce the boating laws of Canada. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines. As you know, we have rights. Go to this website http://svan.ca/police-rights/ It will tell you what those rights are in regards to interactions with the police. On that site it explains the following, “What if I am stopped by the police while driving? The police can stop cars at any time to determine if a driver has consumed alcohol or drugs, to see whether a car is mechanically fit, to check whether a driver has a valid license, or to make sure a driver has insurance. The police may also stop your car if they suspect that you have committed a driving offence. If the police ask to see your driver’s license, car registration and insurance, you are required by law to produce these documents. If any of these documents are in the glove compartment, tell the officer that you are reaching for the document before doing so”

On this topic in this thread that you have responded too, they are acting as they would if you were driving a car and it is not an abuse of their police powers. While you're out there most likely for recreational purposes , they're out there doing their job. You as a boat owner would've been required to obtain the Pleasure Craft Operator Card. When you take that course isn't it explained what the laws etc are they are enforcing, aren't you required to pass a test? This is an honest question, (I don’t yet own a boat but I’m workin on it.) Treat them coming to you and making sure you're following the laws as you would a check stop. Slightly inconvenient, but not all that time consuming. They're out there to enforce the laws and ensure public safety.

As for your comments about the CBSA, it's all about respect and attitude. I've been across the border to many times to count and I have never had a problem with the CBSA or the USCBP. If you show up and have everything in order ready for them, if you are pleasant with them and answer their questions without an attitude, it has been my experience that they reciprocate and are quite amicable on either side of the border. Be specific, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam. Don’t make jokes. Again, they are doing their job. If you give them a reason, they’re going to take it. So don’t give them a reason.

I have absolutely no problems with any of our Pork Rinds. Everyone that does have a problem are the first to call 911 when they are in need of a Porker. I might have tried to limit my contact with them during my misguided youth in the ethnic neighborhoods of the north and east end of Hamilton but grew up somewhere along the way and became a good tax paying law abiding civilian. The growing up part came when guns and bombings came into play and we lost some good friends. The guys that didn't choose the right path are either dead or doing hard time.

Last edited:
Police are not permitted to stop a moving vehicle on the king's highway unless they have reasonable grounds that there is a violation under the highway traffic act or if there is a roadside check underway. They don;t pull people over just cause they feel like it. In the former soviet union or west Germany, Nazi Germany yes, Canada no.

Thanks for the perch report.

I've never had paperwork for my boat. How would I go about getting it

To obtain a duplicate pleasure craft vessel license if you have lost it (the number which is displayed on the side of your boat) use the link below. If you do not have documents that prove you own the pleasure craft, you will be required to make a declaration under oath stating why you cannot produce the bill of sale or proof of ownership. You can use the sample declaration form provided on the website of Transport Canada.

For proof of ownership to carry on board just make a copy of the bill of sale for your boat. In Ontario you are not required to carry proof of insurance or to even have it for that matter but one is crazy not to have insurance.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3212.htm

Last edited:
And get ready to pay HST...fed gov will send info to minstry transportation of ontario....it happened to me years ago couldnt find original bill of sale so they pro rated me and ended up costing me 100bucks in tax

Awesome. Thanks alot I will start working on it today. I want to go in the pike tournament but now I'm a little nervous. Thanks again

Awesome. Thanks alot I will start working on it today. I want to go in the pike tournament but now I'm a little nervous. Thanks again

There is no charge to get a duplicate of your vessel licence if it was already registered in your name. If not then there probably is a fee.

It not even that difficult to get a proper registration if you never changed ownership when you bought the boat and don't have the original bill of sale or registration from the previous owner. A few photos of the boat including hull ID and the Transportation Canada tag, notarized and sent off to the Feds along with the fee. A few hundred dollars including the Notary Publics fee.

I as well @Wave Runner can't believe boat insurance isn't required here, especially living in the Nanny State we call Ontario. There are so many things that can go bad. Accidents happen, hurt someone or total someone else's boat and you may be paying for it the rest of your life. Most wouldn't think of driving without insurance.

This thread is a prime example of one going 180 degrees. Some great info though.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks