Brisket is on...

Viewing this thread made me pull a pork shoulder out of the freezer for next weekend for pulled pork. Looks good.

For the smoke ring you likely had the temp too high at first which cooked the outer parts of the meat before the ring had a chance to form. Start very low and ramp up the temp after a couple hours of smoke.

After you start increasing the temp baste the meat with a sweet sauce and cook to 202-203f for a yummy bark. Do not foil.

Using too much rub can also have a negative effect on the ring and bark

Viewing this thread made me pull a pork shoulder out of the freezer for next weekend for pulled pork. Looks good.

For the smoke ring you likely had the temp too high at first which cooked the outer parts of the meat before the ring had a chance to form. Start very low and ramp up the temp after a couple hours of smoke.

After you start increasing the temp baste the meat with a sweet sauce and cook to 202-203f for a yummy bark. Do not foil.

Using too much rub can also have a negative effect on the ring and bark
@ch312, thanks for that. With my gas grill, I can't keep the temp down low. I fell asleep for the first couple of hours and the whole smoke box burnt before I could replenish. There is a faint ring, but the taste is good, so lesson learned for next time.

Did a 12lb brisket the other week on the Egg...First time doing on it! Turned out absolutely amazing! Starting out I made deep stabs into it and inserted cloves of garlic (probably 10pcs total). I then coated the entire thing in a good layer of mustard (not even a hint of mustard taste when done!) and added all my spices to it and let it sit over night in the fridge. Ran a mix of charcoal and my own fresh cherry chunks out of the bush. Ran it for 8hrs at aprox 225 until the internal temp was at 165, I then wrapped it with foil and put it back on bumping the heat up to 275 until the temp his 200. Dropped it in a cooler to rest at that point for another 2hrs. Had a die hard bbq guy over and said without a doubt it was way better than any of the brisket he gets from the rib fest events he goes to all over southern Ontario...was pretty happy to hear that!!!

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 11
Threw the brisket on shortly before 6:00 a.m. . Wondering about the need to do the Texas Crutch (wrap it up to finish cooking). Any opinions on if this is an absolute requirement?
Got a late start but the brisket is on and doing well, everything looks good, had a sneak peak 2 hours ago when putting in the last load of cherry/apple wood. Try my best to take a few pics and post them up.

What is the recipe for the beans, always curious about what people use when baking beans.

What is the recipe for the beans, always curious about what people use when baking beans.
Google Dutch’s wicked beans, didn’t make a batch today but hands down best smoked beans goin!!!

My flat is sitting at 190 deg and the point is 189…….the late start is killing me but won’t be too long!!!

@cutty The Baked Beans were a last minute add to the menu and so I went fast and easy. I used this recipe, Easy Baked Beans as the basis and modified. I mixed the ingredients below in a 9x13 pan and baked for an hour covered with tin foil. I added about 1/2 cup water and stirred after about 30 minutes as they were getting too dry for my liking. They wouldn't win a Baked Beans contest but they hit the spot and came together fast.
  • 1 can Red Kidney Beans
  • 3 cups (approx) Pinto Beans (had some previously cooked in the freezer and used them)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 pieces cooked bacon, chopped finely
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (reduced the amount from the original recipe)
  • Dash of Frank's
  • Grind of pepper

Hey Stomp. Did you wrap it at 165? I plan on doing a brisket this weekend, for the first time. I bought a new Pit Boss 850 pellet grill and it is fantastic. Everything that I cook on it, tastes much, much better than when using my propane grill. My venison sausage is outstanding, and venison strip loin is unbelievable!

Hey Stomp. Did you wrap it at 165? I plan on doing a brisket this weekend, for the first time. I bought a new Pit Boss 850 pellet grill and it is fantastic. Everything that I cook on it, tastes much, much better than when using my propane grill. My venison sausage is outstanding, and venison strip loin is unbelievable!
Hey @Beagles, I wrapped the point at 165 and left the flat on the grill unwrapped. We let the point rest for a while after it hit 200 and then cubed it and did the burnt ends in a pan with the sauce. Both pieces finished up about the same time with the flat around 200.

Good luck with your first brisket!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks