Brisket help!

Crummybun

Hey All, I'm going to be doing a brisket for my wife's birthday tomorrow. I will be using my Traeger 620. It's a 16lber(untrimmed) AAA, but looks like it's trimmed well, so shouldn't need much work. This will be the first brisket I've attempted. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good guide to follow, video, etc. I have watched many you tube videos... lots of differnt approaches out there. I'm sure cook time is very dependent on temp and size of brisket. I'm thinking I need to start it later tonight so we can eat for 630pm tomorrow? Any thoughts? Thanks Ben

You’re going to want to budget somewhere around 1.5 hours/pound including rest time for that. Hopefully you have the smoker up to temp by now. Brisket is a fickle mistress if you’ve never done one I wouldn’t have suggested doing it for a special occasion. There’s so many variables, are you going to crutch and if so foil or paper? Separate the point and flat? What temp are you smoking? My best advice, the brisket is done when it’s done. You can’t just pull it at a set temp it has to probe like butter. Could be 16 hours or could be 24 they all cook different and absolutely they need a couple hours rest in a cooler stuffed with towels.

Amazing Ribs website I use for a lot of the science and technique side of things they have some brisket pages you may be interested in. Best of luck and post how it turned out!

You’re going to want to budget somewhere around 1.5 hours/pound including rest time for that. Hopefully you have the smoker up to temp by now. Brisket is a fickle mistress if you’ve never done one I wouldn’t have suggested doing it for a special occasion. There’s so many variables, are you going to crutch and if so foil or paper? Separate the point and flat? What temp are you smoking? My best advice, the brisket is done when it’s done. You can’t just pull it at a set temp it has to probe like butter. Could be 16 hours or could be 24 they all cook different and absolutely they need a couple hours rest in a cooler stuffed with towels.

Amazing Ribs website I use for a lot of the science and technique side of things they have some brisket pages you may be interested in. Best of luck and post how it turned out!
Thanks @chris178, probably won't have it on the smoker until 10pm tonight. I have foil but would prefer paper to get some bark. Might be able to get some paper in the morning... Was planning on leaving it whole. I was thinking that I would start it at 225 and see how it goes from there. Leaning towards a simple rub. It's crazy how differnt the cook times seem to be when watching all these you tube videos. If the brisket sucks I'll still have some amazing sides as backup.... Ben

My advice, for a first brisket, would be to focus on the tenderness of the meat and less on the bark. I guess I've been drinking the Traeger/Meat Church Kool-Aid, so I would recommend this Matt Pittman video which suggests wrapping with foil for beginner brisket. I think he also suggests cooking at 275° throughout. I've never cooked that hot, but, hey, the guy knows his stuff, so maybe next time.

Thanks @stomp , I agree Matt makes it look so easy.

I trimmed her down to 12.5 lbs (possibly a bit much.... Decided to go 180 for 2 hrs to get a bit more of a ring. Set it at 205 for 4 hrs while I slept. Up'd it to 225 for the last 4 hrs. Flat is 159, bark isn't what I'm hoping for yet. I think I've hit the stall as the point has been at 149 for over an hour.

Hoping to pull it off at 2pm to make room for my sides.🤞

Wrapped it in foil at 11am when the flat hit 165. Didn't love the bark but was getting worried about temp/time. Bumped it up to 275.

Just checked the flat and she's 195! Wow that jumped up fast. I'll be poking her every 15 or so until I get the butter consistency, and then it's time for a rest(the brisket, not me). Still have sides to make and presents to wrap. Always leaving it to the 11th hour....🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Also, what do you guys do with your trimmings?

I'm doing the tallow/burger thing. So far no real extra work in doing it. Better then wasting it. Although the dogs would be more then happy to chip in if I let them.

Also, what do you guys do with your trimmings?

I'm doing the tallow/burger thing. So far no real extra work in doing it. Better then wasting it. Although the dogs would be more then happy to chip in if I let them.
Sounds like you're well on your way. Yes my dog gets a lot of our meat trimmings especially in hunting season when she can use that bit of extra fat but otherwise I stick it in the suet feeder the birds always appreciate it.

Turned out amazing! Pulled it at 130pm(15 hrs), was buttery soft and temps ranged from 205-210. Let it rest 45mins on counter then 4 hours in cooler. Served it at 153. I've only had smoked brisket 3 times I can remember, and this one was the best by a long shot. So I guess I need to get out more, lol. Totally worth the 430am wake up. Served with smoked Mac and cheese, coleslaw, apple pie. So full I can hardly move!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-203913_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-203913_Gallery.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221107-203900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-203900_Gallery.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221107-203838_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-203838_Gallery.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 18
2 jars of beef tallow and 4 soon to be smash burgers. Can't wait for dinner, and no there is no left over brisket, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-150945_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-150945_Gallery.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 13
My advice, for a first brisket, would be to focus on the tenderness of the meat and less on the bark. I guess I've been drinking the Traeger/Meat Church Kool-Aid, so I would recommend this Matt Pittman video which suggests wrapping with foil for beginner brisket. I think he also suggests cooking at 275° throughout. I've never cooked that hot, but, hey, the guy knows his stuff, so maybe next time.
I followed instructions from Aaron Franklin's book for the last brisket that i did. Simple seasoning of only salt and pepper and cook at 275 as well. The boys said it was the best one yet

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks