Braided line

Magnum 3

I'm respooling a spinning reel for my daughter . Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on LB. test using braid . Checked a couple forums and for smallmouth trolling ,most people are running 10-20 lb. test . They mainly troll for bass in L. Erie's inner bay ,but they occasionally run into Pike and the odd Musky . I run 15lb. and the father in law runs 10 . Sitting here with a spool of 14lb. They mostly troll with crankbaits and have a leader on because of the Pike . Thoughts .

My bass rod has 40 or 50 lb braid on it and works fine. Probably a bit overkill but I like it for 3 reasons: 1. It’s leftover from my 2000 yard spools I use on my dipsey rods. 2. When casting weed lines and wild rice or lily pads you can pull out the roots when you get snagged rather then line breaking and loosing your lures. 3. Heavier braid eliminates the need for steel leaders which I find is more noticeable to fish than the braid is

I run 30lb on most of my setups.
I like heavier line for the same reasons mentioned by @lazywave
The only thing I would disagree with is the need for a leader. Braid has amazing strength for its size, but if horrible for abrasion resistance.
If you're talking fish teeth, rocks, clam shells or anything else, you need a leader.
If you're going to be trolling and deliberately hitting structure, make it a long leader.
Leaders are cheap..... lures aren't.

My .02 cents

20lb braid on trolling rods with flouro leader.
10lb braid on ice rods and bottom bouncer set ups with flouro leaders here.

Still use mono for really cold days ice fishing, especially if I’m not using a shelter with heat.

Experimenting this year with ice power pro, supposed to reduce ice freezing to the line.

The disadvantage of the braid ice fishing is if you do hook into something big and it takes off you better get that rod down the hole so you don’t run that line against the outside of the hole or more than likely your going to get broken off. Maybe not the first time either lol.

Here is one a got on 10lb braid and 4lb leader fishing for perch.

Attachments

• 3D0864A4-C210-4920-8AB3-E2D0C2A51908.jpeg
    3D0864A4-C210-4920-8AB3-E2D0C2A51908.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 19
Suffix 832 in 15 to 20 pounds. Moss green is my choice. Rarely need a leader with bass fishing. Simply check line, the 832 is super abrasion resistant compared to normal mono and way stronger...

Suffix 832 in 15 to 20 pounds. Moss green is my choice. Rarely need a leader with bass fishing. Simply check line, the 832 is super abrasion resistant compared to normal mono and way stronger...
The 14lb. braid is a Berkley product . I run I think 20lb. suffix on mine .

14lb great if you have it, plenty on a spinning reel but don't forget reel tape or a layer of mono to start. Otherwise the braid might slip on the spool. looks funny to see the reel turn and the line stay in the same place.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks