Off Topic Boats being stolen - how do you secure yours?

It’s comical when people have zero clue that vehicle theft is a full time job for people and they think their house pet (dog), cameras, lights or some lock is going to stop anyone.

Dog? 99% will do nothing besides bark.

Cameras? Majority of thieves will steal a vehicle or plates to do the job.

Lights? You’re just making it easier for them to see what they’re doing.

Locks? They’ll just hang the trailer by the safety chains and drive far enough away to cut/break the coupler lock so they can hookup.

If they want it, they’ll get it. Selling stolen items is huge $$$$ and there are plenty of professionals out there.
You haven't met my dog lol....and you know the stevens helps ...never had a break in or theft and I suspect I know why

I just park my car right in front of my garage.Have to break into that car before you get my boat.

Thanks everyone, some valuable advice in the thread :)
Most reasonable:
* Insurance
* Hitch lock
* Wheel lock
* Camera for insurance
* Keep your dog in, don't want it killed for anything that can be replaced with insurance ;)

I haven't seen anyone notice a GPS Tracker, why hasn't anyone used one in their boat?
There are few non-expensive ones off Amazon ( 20-100$ ) with batteries that last a 30-day period, seems like an easy way to track if the boat is stolen to have a chance of tracking it down in the morning?

My dad had a gps tracker on a motorcycle, the last thing he wanted was it back , the bike had a 20 thousand dollar value, he did get it back 2 weeks after it was stolen with considerable damage done , it looked like it had been on a 2 week joy ride , and used for plenty of burnouts , the insurer a reputable company sent it to there bike shop of choice and repairs were made the it was never the same after being stolen , he never put a tracker on anything again

Thanks everyone, some valuable advice in the thread :)
Most reasonable:
* Insurance
* Hitch lock
* Wheel lock
* Camera for insurance
* Keep your dog in, don't want it killed for anything that can be replaced with insurance ;)

I haven't seen anyone notice a GPS Tracker, why hasn't anyone used one in their boat?
There are few non-expensive ones off Amazon ( 20-100$ ) with batteries that last a 30-day period, seems like an easy way to track if the boat is stolen to have a chance of tracking it down in the morning?
The upfront affordable cost of these is offset by the monthly cost. These devices need either a sim card where you buy the card and the phone number (and therefore a monthly plan which will meet your tracking requirements), or you pay a monthly fee to access the providers network. That adds up year after year.
Buy the right insurance for your needs. If you can store it in your garage with an automatic door that is connected to an alarm system with motion sensors you probably have the best set up

After that, you got a comprehensive list here. Just be aware, most insurance policies will have very specific requirements for how you must secure it depending on where it is parked. If you don't abide by that list, and it gets stolen, it's quite likely the insurer will deny the claim

The time to know what your insurance policy requires, is before you make the first payment

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks