Off Topic Boats being stolen - how do you secure yours?

It's hard to get at so they'd have a hard time getting it out before our dog (that may it may not be a pit bull) notices.

Had an incident where somebody was trying to get into the old garage by the old farm house. I seen their lights so I hop in the truck and go check it out. they see me coming and take off in a black colour pick up truck. Next I know I'm in a high speed pursuit , so I give up after hitting 100 kph because these guys are still pulling away from me. Next day I pound in a couple of T bars and rope off the driveway. damn if the next day the rope is cut. Neighbour has some aircraft cable and we string that up. Next day I find the two T bars have been ripped out of the ground and thrown back up the driveway both had been bent and look like hockey sticks. I guess those dummies thought the rope was cut and they would drive right on in with their lights out.... SURPRIZE ! Would have loved to see that ! Their truck probably has a nice mark across the front of it and the front seats need a steam cleaning. Haven't had a problem since. The really stupid part is that there was nothing worth stealing in the old shed and the rope/cable was marked with plastic bags tied to it.

So ... deterrents work and locks will keep honest people honest but chains and cables can be cut. I've put up solar powered motion activated lights as thieves don't like being seen. Cameras are somewhat good afterwards but a black hoodie isn't much of a description now is it ? At least out in farm country you can let your dog out (because he/she needed a poop) and having a shotgun handy (because of the coyote problem) so your dog doesn't get attacked or your livestock for that matter. As a disclaimer I do not suggest ever pointing a firearm at a person whether it is loaded or not as it carries a stiff penalty but then again a coyote is not a person. I should also point out that deterrents do not include "booby traps" that may cause harm or damage to a person , again there are laws against that.

As for "use of force" to defend yourself or family ? I'm not a lawyer but it sounds like you can only use as much force as necessary to put yourself in a position as to not be in danger. If thieves are carrying out your home entertainment system and you catch them in the act you pretty much can't do a thing but call 911 . If they threaten to beat you to death with the soundbar , you still can't do anything but call 911 and add that to the list. Once they start beating you to death then you have the right to use force but if they stop beating on you you cannot use force against them as your life is not in danger anymore. Yup.... wtf ? Welcome to Canada !

120 pound german Shepard with a slight mean steak for intruders and a stevens tactical 12 Guage. Are you allowed to say that????

Just remember as far as dogs go, always use GUARD DOG ON DUTY signs. Never use beware of dog signs due to that implies you are aware your animal may attack and bite which will leave you liable for the damage caused to the intruder. Learned this along time ago from a friend that's a lawyer..GDOD signs give fair warning and implies enter at own risk.

Some people are so effed up

had a truck pull to the greenhouse the other day mid morning around 8-9am
guy jumps out of his truck grabs everything he can out of the gator and takes off
Not a care in the world that he was being watch
One of the contractors chased him in his truck but stopped when he turned onto the Rez.
Made off with a nice weed whacker.

Just remember as far as dogs go, always use GUARD DOG ON DUTY signs. Never use beware of dog signs due to that implies you are aware your animal may attack and bite which will leave you liable for the damage caused to the intruder. Learned this along time ago from a friend that's a lawyer..GDOD signs give fair warning and implies enter at own risk.

I have a dog almost too old to sniff its own backside, but strangers won't know what.

I also have a sign:

F#*k the dog, beware owner.

My neighbourhood is awesome, nothing happens without multiple people knowing about it.

Multiple cameras on the property, multiple locks on the boat.

If it goes it won't go easy or unnoticed.

View attachment 48350hi this is Odin and not many people are game to leave their vehicle when he,s waiting for them before they can open the door..Lol..He,s a good even tempered Bullmastiff but I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20181104_070156~4.jpg
    IMG_20181104_070156~4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 14
LoL ! I find most dogs roll over and want their belly rubbed when talked to in a higher octave voice like " Who's da puppy !" seems to trigger a happy memory in them and they calm down. Wouldn't bet my right hand on it, just something I've noticed. I found when it comes to size a big dog is not always better . Once watched a Jack Russell tree a bear all by himself. Little dog with big cojones... go figure ?

All you need to do is read the new laws the Libs have brought in that are written to basically lessen the penalties for marginalized community members (I’ll let you fill in the blanks on that one…) I am definitely not trying to politicize this forum in any way as I truly just love reading and posting fishin’ lies etc, but tightening restrictions on law abiders and loosening on the folks perpetrating crime on John or Jane Q Public, indicates there is something terribly wrong.

Ok…. I’m in Restoule… may have had a few beers but have to share… here’s the grass roots solution to secure ALL our boats… a sticker on my buddy’s dad’s took box…

Attachments

• 83C7C2F9-F46D-405E-ADD8-DDFA7E177D3C.jpeg
    83C7C2F9-F46D-405E-ADD8-DDFA7E177D3C.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 38
Ok…. I’m in Restoule… may have had a few beers but have to share… here’s the grass roots solution to secure ALL our boats… a sticker on my buddy’s dad’s took box…
I just left Restoule yesterday. Keep an eye out for Rosie a missing golden retriever. We spent friday looking for her drove down sand lake road to sand lake but no luck.

I just left Restoule yesterday. Keep an eye out for Rosie a missing golden retriever. We spent friday looking for her drove down sand lake road to sand lake but no luck.
Will do. My buddy lives here. I’ll let him know. Sorry to hear that, man. Hope you get her back.

It’s comical when people have zero clue that vehicle theft is a full time job for people and they think their house pet (dog), cameras, lights or some lock is going to stop anyone.

Dog? 99% will do nothing besides bark.

Cameras? Majority of thieves will steal a vehicle or plates to do the job.

Lights? You’re just making it easier for them to see what they’re doing.

Locks? They’ll just hang the trailer by the safety chains and drive far enough away to cut/break the coupler lock so they can hookup.

If they want it, they’ll get it. Selling stolen items is huge $$$$ and there are plenty of professionals out there.

It’s comical when people have zero clue that vehicle theft is a full time job for people and they think their house pet (dog), cameras, lights or some lock is going to stop anyone.

Dog? 99% will do nothing besides bark.

Cameras? Majority of thieves will steal a vehicle or plates to do the job.

Lights? You’re just making it easier for them to see what they’re doing.

Locks? They’ll just hang the trailer by the safety chains and drive far enough away to cut/break the coupler lock so they can hookup.

If they want it, they’ll get it. Selling stolen items is huge $$$$ and there are plenty of professionals out there.
I sure wouldn’t want my dog to be killed over a boat that will be replaced with an insurance claim

and want the cameras for the police report. 👍
Oh and the locks are so the thieves have to earn their take
Bahaha

Stop, no, but make the thief decide it's not worth it, go steal something else somewhere else is the idea.

my boat is in my fenced in back yard. have a hitch lock on it plus my tongue swings back with a cable lock on it holding it to the frame. plus a camera not directly on it but just in front of it which catches the gate it would have to go through.

True ; a professional thief will get what he's after whether it's a car, truck, boat or whatever because chances are he already has a buyer for that particular item and is well trained how to overcome deterrents and knows when to take the chance or walk away. Those "whacked out on god knows what" type are a little more opportunistic and inherently lazy and do the "smash & dash" but can be brazen enough to stroll up your driveway and help themselves to what's in your garage. Also keep in mind you could be putting yourself in a dangerous position by confronting them so it's best to leave them an escape route as a cornered animal will most likely come out fighting.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks