Fishing Report Boating Right of Way

Interesting thing about that diagram is if you have a boat approaching you head on you are red to red or green to green. The link below provides a very clear description of the rules.

Seem to be the bigger boat makes the rules. We were out in our 22 footer, and had a much larger donzi come at us from port side and drove right across my bow. Prick was lucky my flare gun was buried under my seat, and my 12 gauge was at home.

We have a slip in the inner bay. We fish the Bluff, light house and the elbow often. Getting in and out of the inner bay on a weekend can be quite interesting both ways depending on the time of day with the traffic going to and from T.P. to Pottahawk. I really does seem like the bigger boats have the right of way. Maybe their on auto pilot.

Man were there some crazies off of Burwell the day of the derby. I hate being in the pack and intentionally avoid it but somehow ended up surrounded out there Saturday mid day in 49'. Two idiots in a runabout with no rodholders etc were screwing with dipsies, probably figuring out how they work only looking back,not driving. The one guy was actually casting and reeling it in........I had them 30' from me twice on starboard and yes I did make a full circle to port to get away from them until they finally cut right across my stern and lines. Just lucky I had enough depth on the riggers and divers that they didnt snag anything. We all make mistakes but wow man. Give a guy a break. Test for the boaters card is way too easy IMHO.

Seem to be the bigger boat makes the rules. We were out in our 22 footer, and had a much larger donzi come at us from port side and drove right across my bow. Prick was lucky my flare gun was buried under my seat, and my 12 gauge was at home.
Any collision on water is 50-50 no matter who is in the right. You endanger your rights to own fire arms when you threaten someone on social media with rite arm violence. It IS a criminal offence. So smarten up and hope no one reports you

I have had a few odd incidents with people that don’t seem to fish from their centre consoles — they come right up behind me and one guy with 30ft plus boat then came within a boat length at 35mph. From behind. I get that his 3 engines are fast but I had my family on the boat. I just turned away from him when I saw him but it was the most dangerous thing I have seen someone do out there… so far.

Also, who are you warriors that troll with the waves on your side for so long? I am impressed you have have the stomachs for it but you make guessing where you were going really hard.

Sorry, didn't mean
Interesting thing about that diagram is if you have a boat approaching you head on you are red to red or green to green. The link below provides a very clear description of the rules.
You are red to green on both. Lean to his green and he will have to lean to yours. Hence collision avoided. Too simple for some. Coming up from behind another pass on the right when you are abeam he will see your green and you see his red be polite give him lots of room. YOU are overtaking. Ever heard of Power Squadron training?
spend $50-75k on a boat and $75.00 on a class to understand marine law and safety?
what a crazy idea.

Operating Card Training ? You have to be dummer than Forrest Gump not to pass the test for your Pleasure Boat Operators Card. Why wasn't training set up like the Hunter/Firearm Safety Course before writing your exam ? That would have weeded out a lot of cheaters as proof of training is needed in order to write .

Rudeness and ignorance always prevails in boating just as it does in everyday life. A lot of people conduct themselves with a what are you gonna do about it attitude. Unfortunately the one who retaliates usually get charged. Do your best to be polite and decent to one another we’re all out to have a little fun and enjoy the day.

We have a lot of rules but common sense rules. Not everyone is right, everyone has to get along.
It helps to just shake your head and you be the smart one and bite your tongue. :D (y)
If a person is not crossing at the cross walk and crosses in another spot. because he's wrong doesn't give you the right to run over him.
Common sense rules.
I see it every day people don't even look both ways crossing the street they watch that stupid go ahead walk sign and walk,
Not thinking someone may go throw a red light, persons mined is somewhere else or etc.
Please pedestrian, common sense,
You have to have eyes in you ass now a-days.

Last edited:
We have a lot of rules but coming sense rules. Not everyone is right, everyone has to get along.
It helps to just shake your head and you be the smart one and bite your tongue. :D (y)
If a person is not crossing at the cross walk and crosses in another spot. because he's wrong doesn't give you the right to run over him.
Coming sense rules.
I see it every day people don't even look both ways crossing the street they watch that stupid go ahead walk sign a walk,
Not thinking someone may go throw a red light, persons mined is somewhere else or etc.
Please pedestrian, coming sense,
You have to have eyes in you ass now a-days.
People who usually drive bad on the highway will do the same on the water, they just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks