Boating Etiquette

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I dont usually rant on here but I was a little irritated by the events of Friday, at the ramp in Burwell,going out of the channel and then at the end of the channel markers.Launching my boat with my buddy a fella with a 19-20 foot starcraft center console,100 hp merc pulled by a black chevy pick up,with two heavier set gentleman ( description in case he reads this) put in after us.I went and parked my truck and trailer as normal,I had to park in the far lot at Bradfeilds,I wasn't as fortunate as this fella and be able to park right in front of the backing up zone at bradfields as this fella,get back to the boat and my buddy has my boat( 17 foot proline center console) pulled all the way back to the end of the dock and half way around as this fella apparantly almost took out my bow with his tilted motor.There is lots of room for two boats there,no need to be in that much of a hurry,the fish will wait. Got my boat going and heading up the channel, checking behind and here comes this boat making a huge wake ( channel speed 5 miles per hour not 15 ) so I move to the side of the channel to let him go by rocking and rolling as he sped passed.This is just up from the docks at Bradfields and right beside the boats tied up along the wall there,so of course they are crashing around from his wake too,shook my head and waving too slow down but to no avail.We get to the channel markers and there is buddy stopped in the middle of the markers doing who knows what so I couldnt get up on plane right away as he is there,waited and he finally pulls to the right of markers and up on plane I go.All of a sudden I see off my starboard ( we arent even at the end of the rocks yet) buddy up on plane and MY fishing partner says watch this guy!! HE CUTS ACROSS MY BOW WITH IN 25 - 30 FEET OF US ! Needless to say I was hollering some choice words but of course being under power he probably never heard me.Needless to say I was pretty IRRITATED! I guess the fish were calling his name out loud cause he sure was in a hurry to get there.We got back to the ramp later that day and unfortunatley buddy was out of there.If you do read this,go back to the boaters handbook and re-read it,because fella,YOU FAILED MISERABLY THE FIRST TIME AND NEED TO RE-WRITE THE TEST!
Sorry for the rant Stomp but it kinda struck a nerve....lol

Kirk

hey Kirk,

I noticed one day last week my wife and I went to Burwell to walk along the pier and than down the beach because I'm just that kind of guy!:)

But we seen several boats up on plain way before the last of the brush as you are going out of the channel.

Now we don't go out of Burwell but is this the norm for boats even to do this as there were quite a few smaller boats coming in at much slower speeds.

I'm thinkin somebody is going to get swamped one day! :(

The norm should be at the end of the pier slow down coming in and good to go going out.I mean I never slow to the speed you should do at that point until I get to where I think you mean but always make sure there is no wake as I get at the pier.Isnt that the way its supposed to be done in any channel or harbour?Unfortunately you are right,one day someone will get swamped[V]There really needs to be a sign posted that says NO WAKE on the end of the pier.Not sure why a sign needs to go up,common sense would dictate you would think[B)]
Very nice of you to take your wife for a walk like that..LOL,what was it you wanted to buy?

quote:
Originally posted by kmaub

hey Kirk,

I noticed one day last week my wife and I went to Burwell to walk along the pier and than down the beach because I'm just that kind of guy!:)

But we seen several boats up on plain way before the last of the brush as you are going out of the channel.

Now we don't go out of Burwell but is this the norm for boats even to do this as there were quite a few smaller boats coming in at much slower speeds.

I'm thinkin somebody is going to get swamped one day! :(

Kirk

Wow Kirk,
I think you were p---ed off. Hope the rest of the day was better. Good read!

I agree completely with what you are saying and have found Burwell to be the worst channel for impatient people. On the other hand I did follow one gentleman out one day who continued at about 2 miles per hour out past the channel markers into open water. On that day it was a little rough and once you passed the pier it made steering very difficult at that low speed and I ended up passing him in the markers. In the channel keep your speed down but be resonable once you clear the pier.

I agree, there should be signs , that say No Wake. I have had boats pass me at full power deep in the channel. A lot of guys/gals should have quit fishing an hour earlier if they are in that much of a rush. Same goes for unloading/loading, take your turn. If you come to unload your boat at 1:00-2:00pm you have to expect that alot of boats are trying to load up and you may have to wait a bit. I allways have said that half the boater exam should be on boating/ramp etiquette. Take it easy out there guys, the fish will still be there;)

Brian (Legend Man)

Hey Arnie,yes I was a little p***ed off , but yup the rest of the day was alot better other than the fish not co-operating..lol
Couldnt agree with you more Jumbos!

Kirk

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks