Off Topic Boat trailer lights

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Saturday morning notice left side lights were out
Digging into this issue has been a pain in the ass replaced the connection part at the truck because it was smoking hot and melting

Still no lights
Bought new amber marker light
Connections are not the same size so I can’t plug it in, I don’t wanna cut the wires because then they are for sure not water proof.. but are these plugs even water proof?

F354DEEB-E37C-4E77-AC25-85C04D3E7FBC.jpeg

When I bought the boat I was of the understanding the trailer lights were all water proof but I’m starting to think this isn’t true..

This wiring business gets me frustrated lol I need this fixed or I can’t go fishing aahhhh 😱

Hot means live short. I've had wires eaten by mice and rubbed through just from years of use, had wm knicked, cut, corroded and break The fact is, got a trailer, at some point your gonna have light issues. heat shrink connectors and tubes are your friend I do not trust or use any connectors that come with the kits. Sometimes it's easier to just rewire the whole trailer tie string to the light ends, pull wires through till string appears tie string to new wires, pull back and reconnect now you got new wiring you can count on for at least 6, 8 years pm me if you want some help, I've tracked down so many trailer light issues I could write a book

Had my right side hanging on my trailer today. I do remember hit a large pothole which could have snapped the cheap plastic. Duct tape to get home. All fixed. I have never worried about water on connections just solder and tape. Grounds are the biggest issues I have.

Mix of the two led markers rest have bulbs

Likely LED if you were told they were waterproof.

Do you have brakes on the trailer? Electric or otherwise?

I believe LEDs can/are made sealed, the bulb housing definitely is not waterproof because it snaps together.

Yes it has a gasket but they suck.

I used to Vaseline every bulb on initial install, usually kept water from being an issue where I could pop the casing open to drain any water. (Years ago dad's boat trlr)

Agree with @spincast that you likely have a short if anything is getting hot. Likely means rewiring or tracing every wire to find out where the short is. Rewiring isn't a bad job, nor expensive.

As far as those connectors go, a soldered connection is always going to be better, as those plugs oxidize over time. Use quality heat shrink on your soldered connections and it is water tight.

This wiring business gets me frustrated lol I need this fixed or I can’t go fishing aahhhh 😱

Just keep your driving to daylight only and remember the phrase "Sorry officer, they were working when I did my circle check!" That one might not work for @hvyhaul though ;)

Always use the heat shrink with glue inside, it's the only way to keep the moister out of your wiring.

I bought some of those but haven't used any yet.

Your post gives me the confidence to start putting them into service
I have used them a few times now and like them. They do take some heat to melt the solder and the shrink tube fuses with the wire.

I also agree with a total rewire... It only took me 6 truck fuses to go that route... lol... My trailer is a 99 and had a few rub marks on the old wiring... A boat trailer takes a lot of abuse...

My kit below. I like the heat shrink butt connectors because they are so easy to use and secure. Side of the road or when you actually were planning on it, lol. I will put shrink tubes on each end of the wires to be connected, and after crimping, I will slide the heat shrink tube up against the crimped metal, I will also put a big tube on before that will fit over the entire connector. Heat connector and small tubes, then slide big tube over top and heat. Makes a strong connection that is watertight and wont break or vibrate loose.

@Derkd9 and I chatted a bit last night to save anyone else what both he and I experienced, although in different degrees, if you have a folding tongue on your trailer and are opening and closing it a lot, do yourself a favour and loom the section of wires inside the trailer. We'll know for sure tonight after the surgery, but it looks like the wires got pinched and shorted out. I had one completely get cut

Attachments

• 20210804_072716_01.mp4
    1.6 MB
I have gone to LED on my trailer, on the trailer for my son's tinny and talked the brother in-law into changing over. The first thing I do when re wiring a trailer is to cut the ring terminal off of every light run a dedicated ground wire to it. All my wiring connections are soldered and then sealed with heat shrink. No more issues.

Converted a friends boat trailer who tows on logging washer board roads near Chapleau. The main wire we used was 3 wire extension cord to take advantage of the extra insulation layer. No rubbing thru so far and it's been 3 years. I agree the dedicate ground helped. A bush fix out necessity but a good one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks