Off Topic Boat Sinks

Take the time to do a radio operators course...I think its a 1 day deal. Its not about having the licence, its about learning how to accurately make the correct call based on the situation..ie...
  • MAYDAY - distress signal, requires the most urgent response. This signal is only to be used when a person, or boat is threatened by grave or imminent danger, and requires assistance.
  • PAN-PAN - (pronounced pahn-pahn) used to signal urgent information, like when someone has fallen overboard, or a boat is drifting into shore or a busy shipping channel. If your emergency isn't immediately life threatening, say Pan-Pan instead of Mayday, for example if you have a controllable leak, and you want help standing by in case it gets worse.
  • SECURITE - (pronounced sea-cur-i-tay) is the safety signal. This is used to transmit information about the safety of navigation. For instance, if a large commercial vessel is coming through a narrow channel, this signal would be used. Can also be used to transmit weather information, such as when a powerful storm system is approaching.
The course helps to ensure that under pressure, you use the correct script or algorithm to ensure you've included all the details necessary for assistance...and if you've ever had to make a call, you know how easy it is to forget the details. Ive heard calls made where the operator was panicking and freaking out and wasting time. TAKE THE COURSE!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks