Boat rigging question...

FlyingViking

Hey guys,

I was told that my “rig” was lopsided and downriggers to far forward in the boat and the rod holders for dipsies waaaaay to far forward. I have a small boat at 16.5 feet. I moved the riggers but now one is right beside my drivers seat.
I’m all ears if you kids have any suggestions.

be gentle... it’s my first year with down riggers and dipsies..

Attachments

• 12795B98-71BF-42D7-BC5B-B6771BD01C09.jpeg
    12795B98-71BF-42D7-BC5B-B6771BD01C09.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 270
I have similar boat. I'd move the riggers as far back as comfortable. The dipsy holders don't really matter where they go unless you plan on running them on "0" setting. If you run them "3" setting they'll go away from your boat nicely.

Hey guys,

I was told that my “rig” was lopsided and downriggers to far forward in the boat and the rod holders for dipsies waaaaay to far forward. I have a small boat at 16.5 feet. I moved the riggers but now one is right beside my drivers seat.
I’m all ears if you kids have any suggestions.

be gentle... it’s my first year with down riggers and dipsies..

I have similar boat. I'd move the riggers as far back as comfortable. The dipsy holders don't really matter where they go unless you plan on running them on "0" setting. If you run them "3" setting they'll go away from your boat nicely.
So you would move the rigger farther back? I’m guessing all the way back would be optimum? It makes sense... my riggers up front had the boat dog walking and zigging when we had a big salmon on...

I run them as far back as you can and dipsys dont matter at the end of the day where you feel comfortable with them only matters just experiment

Last edited:
My understanding is you want your riggers as far back as possible ...but still able to reach clip.

Too far forward . With blow back ...and turns you risk getting the cable in your motor.

Dipsy don't matter ....a friend of mine runs his at bow of a 4 'high post .......so when he goes solo ...he can just look forward and not turn around

A lot similar to what I ran in my 14’ Sylvan. Your setup is tickity-boo imo. By all means slide that rigger back if it’s cumbersome, but other than that...There’s an advantage to keeping your lines within reach.

@FlyingViking Ya that is how my boat is setup. Down riggers at the the very back, then lead core in middle and i run my dipsy's near the front of the boat on 3 setting. I have a 17' lund pro guide. Obviously only run all 6 rods if i have 3 people on the boat.

That is similar to my set up, downriggers with rod holders 2.5 ft from back 2ft rod holder 2ft rod holder 2ft rod holder,that leaves about 3ft to the seats seams to work good.

Riggers as far back as you can get them, then dypsy's next then rocket launchers for lead. Whether on inlines or big boards.

Ran riggers towards the middle of my last boat. Never an issue and they were easy to use. It was a tiller so no room at back. Put them were you can use them easy on a rough day. Also I like to make sure they don't stick out past the side when swiveled in. You'd hate to smash them against a dock

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks