Boat Repair

twodogs

I'm looking at some repairs on my 16' StarCraft F/S. Has anyone used J & J out of Hagersville, or have any other suggestions on reputable repair people on aluminum boats?
Thanks

@twodogs, what repairs are you looking at. I am fairly local to Hagersville and have never heard of J&J's. I deal with Don Hyde's in Hagersville and have for years depending on what I need. The reason I ask what repairs because we have 2 local guys here on the lakeshore in Selkirk that do repairs as well and much less rates per hour. They are good and know their stuff. I deal with them again depending on what I need done. There is also Riverside Marina in Dunnville and you can't beat Proctors in Simcoe. Like I said J&J I've never heard of, where are they?

Ooops, brain freeze I know J&J, they are right off Sandusk road. They are more into metalwork such as prop, bottom end and aluminum repairs. I have been there a few times too. For those type of repairs they are the go to guys. Marinas here send their metal work repairs to them. They are very good for metalwork. If it's aluminum repairs you need they are the go to guys.

J&J Marine Services
4768 HWY #6 South
905 768 9188
He does repair work on boats, he replaced my buddy transom, it will out live him.
Jim is a great guy to talk to.
He is the son of Pauls Marine Welding that used to be in Hamilton.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. It is the transom on my aluminum that needs repair. After opening it up today, the wood on the ends of the transom is punky. The wood at the motor seems fine, but I'm thinking all probably needs replacing.

Jim @ J&J replaced the transom on my PolarKraft a few years ago. I'm happy with the work he did(although he never sealed around the motor mounts properly and it leaks)
It took him a really long time to do the job though. At the time he had to do all the work outside, not sure if this is still the case. Really nice guy, and very reasonable rates. I would recommend him unless you really need the work done quickly.

Thanks for the heads up Wendel. Its always nice to hear the pros and cons of peoples experiences with similar problems. I have been talking with Jim via email, and will want to make a decision soon to hopefully be ready for spring fishing.
thanks again

Twodogs. I had some substantial cracks in the rear of my Crestliner. Ron Bankes did my repairs. He did a great job on the aluminum repairs and built me a transom out of a sandwich of fiberglass and marine ply wood that should last the lifetime of the boat.
bankesmarineservices.com

Mike

Hey drifter 56... Just curious was your cracked Crestliner covered under warranty? Reason I ask is I've got a 2013 creatliner that I've alrwady had welded at ron bankes, couldn't be happier with his workmanship and service but wasn't imprrssed with the fact that my brand new creatliner had a cracked rib

I'd like to hear more on cracked Crestliners... 2013 and they didn't stand behind it?? More info please...

To be fair they i cover the cost of the repair but I was surprised by the fact that a weld had cracked already... It was One of the front ribs that cracked where IT met the skin of the boat...

Twodogs. I had some substantial cracks in the rear of my Crestliner. Ron Bankes did my repairs. He did a great job on the aluminum repairs and built me a transom out of a sandwich of fiberglass and marine ply wood that should last the lifetime of the boat.
bankesmarineservices.com

Mike
Ok thank you Mike. I have requested a quote from both Ron Banks and J & J marina. I've also thought about tackling this myself. Thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences. As usual a very informative site.
Thank you

After receiving a reasonable quote from J & J, and nothing from Banks, I decided to tackle the transom replacement myself. Between a friend and myself we started Monday by hoisting the motor off, removing all the hardware, and removing the old transom. It was in bad shape after 29 yrs of big hour boating. On Tuesday we went to Toronto and bought a 3/4" sheet of marine plywood, and stopped at our local marine store and bought enough marine epoxy, and 3M 5200 for the new transom. We traced the pattern using the old transom, cut out the new pcs, and laminated them together along with the inside aluminum plate. Wednesday we installed the new transom, caulked everything prior to installing all the hardware and screws. The motor has been put back on and all wiring put back in place. Boats looking good. Thanks for everyones input, and hope to see you on the water soon.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks