Boat Ramp ssshhhiiittt?

can't miss

Alot of bitching and moaning on this site lately, and checking back on my post, I'm guilty as charged.
Spring will be here, look's like Wed next week??
So let's have a laugh, What's the worse you've seen at a boat ramp?? Your own personal experiences and what you've been tortured to watch???
My own, many yrs ago, a outing at Colchester ramp, long day, wife and new pup, ( I don't take dog's in the boat anymore), key's to tow vehicle ended up at the bottom. It's a deep ramp, and after a few dives, it is a fuel/exaughst soaked swim? Found a guy with snorkel and fin's on the beach, $50 later, ( alot in the 80's ), had the key's. Nothing in boat anymore doesn't have a float on it now??
Happy Spring

Ok then here's one for ya. Few years back early April out of Dunn ville for cats. Fish masters ramp is ultra steep son wanted to help with launch so I say no problem . So I start the back down. Looked in rear view just in time to see boat slide off trailer and slam down on the ramp.. son had disconnected the winch lock to make it easier for himself at the bottom.
Lucky that the nose stayed on trailer and I could hand crank it back up.. no damage to motor or hull luckily. Pride on the other hand was totalled :barefoot:. Felt like a hundred guys watching:eek:

port maitland last year , pic sais it all lmfao PARKING BRAKE DUDE, PARKING BREAK DUMBASS. find the flip flop (kinda like find waldo) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

waldo lmfao)

upload_2015-3-28_17-10-59.png

OOOOOOhhhhh no. That pic is bad, real bad.

My boat keys are in 2 different places, in the ignition from spring to fall and on the hook from fall to spring. Truck keys don't leave the truck when it is within 100 feet from the water and never, ever go into the boat, ever. After driving 5 hours both the truck keys and the boat keys ended up in the drink when my dear younger cousin thought it was a good idea to take his boat key off the truck keys on the dock. Yea he had a float on the boat keys, as well as a knife, a flashlight, bottle opener a picture of his kids and wife and a bunch of other stuff. If the weight of an object is more than the weight of water displaced by the float that object will sink, grade 6 science I recall.

I don't think the line up of boats and trucks waiting to launch thought it was very funny, I did not either at the time. Had to hook up a truck to pull the boat and truck up the ramp, with the truck locked in park. Lost an entire day plus waiting for spare keys to be Fed Ex to the camp.

Was that you Chef hawking your wares today at the swap meet.

JD

Finished a full day of the Barrie Perch Derby and pulled into the dock. Backed the truck up, jumped out and cranked the boat onto the trailer. Went to jump back into my idling truck and I discovered the automatic lock had engaged, locking me out and blocking the boat ramp for everybody else. Had to call CAA who came in 20 minutes and opened the door. Meanwhile...12 boats were lined up to get out. Boy...did I feel STUPID. Got home and the wife asked me... "So, did anything happen that was interesting on your way home? How the hell did she KNOW????? Turns out, one of my buddies was on one of those boats and called her to tease me about my "Blonde Moment". HaHaHa!!! My wife is blonde and I have teased her constantly for 35 years. It was her turn to get even..sort of. :p

port maitland last year , pic sais it all lmfao PARKING BRAKE DUDE, PARKING BREAK DUMBASS. find the flip flop (kinda like find waldo) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

waldo lmfao)

View attachment 2261
Chef seen the exact thing happen a couple of years ago. It was my buddy dropping his 16' in and the brake line blew on his truck.......truck under water and boat floating!!!

Everyone makes a mistake now and then. Mine was leaving my retriever in the truck one night after a duck hunt while loading the boat. He stepped on the auto locks and that was it, stuck on the ramp, dog in truck, truck idling in park. I always load and unload with either the vehicle window down, or the keys out of the truck. I also always make sure I have my cell phone on my person. Fortunately I did that night. CAA guy had a good laugh!

Chef.... I got a spare key on the boat ring, one on the snowmobile ring, and a spare one in my wallet as well as a hide a key. Stupid is making the same mistake TWICE and I still got a long way to go when it comes to making them all just ONCE! :woot:

Bronte, had pulled the boat out and pulled off to the side to strap it down. Had to watch this girl get ready to go out on a jet ski STRUGGLE to get into her wetsuit that looked two sizes too small, it was a sad, sad sight......

Ok then here's one for ya. Few years back early April out of Dunn ville for cats. Fish masters ramp is ultra steep son wanted to help with launch so I say no problem . So I start the back down. Looked in rear view just in time to see boat slide off trailer and slam down on the ramp.. son had disconnected the winch lock to make it easier for himself at the bottom.
Lucky that the nose stayed on trailer and I could hand crank it back up.. no damage to motor or hull luckily. Pride on the other hand was totalled :barefoot:. Felt like a hundred guys watching:eek:

That ramp has an ledge on it and have seen a few trailers get hung up on the frame, just a warning to those that don't know. A warning from the person who takes the $ would be nice. As far as feeling like a duffus @Helmet, better than paying a big repair bill. I did see the same thing when a guy unhitched his tinny far too soon in Nanticoke creek as he had replaced the bunks with the slippery poly material . That guy didn't make out as well, he lost the bottom end of his 9.9, that was a write off for sure. The skeg, prop and everything from the cowl cover down was laying on the ramp.

My wife and i were boating on Wabamun Lake just outside of Edmonton. A really strong wind had kicked up so we called it quits. I go to jump out of the boat to back the trailer up when my wife says, "i will back the trailer up". She sounded very confident so i said go ahead. 20 minutes went by and i hadn't seen my truck pull up to the ramp so i tied the boat off to see what the problem was. The problem happened to be the old Mercury collectors pickup truck that my wife can opened from back to front with my boat trailer. The 3 hour wait of shame until the owner arrived was the worst part. The owner was surprisingly calm over the whole situation. luckily he owned a sand blasting and paint shop so it only cost me 700 total to fix the mans truck. Lets just say nobody but a select few get to operate my boat and trailer anymore.
I also saw a truck roll in at the ramp on slave lake during a walleye tournament.

The funniest thing I was a witness to was a guy with a Sea-doo.His wife backed the trailer down the ramp and he drove the Sea-doo onto the trailer.Without latching to the trailer he yelled to his wife to pull him out.She gunned the truck and as she pulled him out the Sea-doo slid off of the trailer onto the ramp 5 feet from the water with him still on it.That was when the yelling began.Him giving her hell for jerking the trailer out from under him and her calling him stupid for not latching on.It was absolutely hilarious.He ended up pushing the Sea-doo back into the water and his wife refused to drive truck or even help him.

Over my years of boating: my uncle backed my dad's scout in a little too far (back door was in the water) at a really steep ramp. At the same time by dad drove his lund into the scout. There was a dent on the roof from the boat. Since the engine didn't get wet they managed to drive it out and the old trucks without carpet or electric anything got them home.

Last year in September when it was just me and my 4-yr old. Had a call from work distracting me while I was at the ramp and forgot the plug. I couldn't figure out why the auto-bilge was going and then I looked at the side pocket. There was the plug. Had to pull the boat out again. We did get out and had a great day fishing though.

Also last year while at Grimsby in the spring. I go to back down to the ramp. Get out of the truck and hear a loud hissing sound. There is a big hole in my front left tire. I jump back in truck and managed to get it backed into a parking spot just as it goes completely flat. I find a big screw that was worn down -- figure it was in my tire for a while but came out as I cranked the wheel to back in. Thankfully I was at a marina that had the tools I need to pull the tire off, get to CDN tire, get a plug, and get it back on. Plus I didn't block the ramp on the spring day they were putting the boats that were in storage out. But while I removing by tire, this happened:

IMG_2613.jpg

The trailer support gave way and this boat crashed down on the ramp. Nice old lift that doesn't have working brakes (see the wood under the tire) came to lift it. My problem seemed way less of a problem after that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks