boat motor

aknelsen

I was wondering if it is worth going to the US to pick up a new 25hp outboard because they are a lot cheaper there, the only thing I'm worried about is getting it over the border. Has anyone ever done this? Any advise. Thanks

It's not a problem, you are required to pay the hst when crossing the border. There is no duty as long as it's manufactured in the US. I brought a merc 115 back in 2011, and that's how it went down. If you go and stay a couple days, you are allowed to use your personal exception to reduce the tax liability

Thanks for the info I was thinking about a 25hp merc or tohatsu, they are both manufactured by tohatsu so I guess they should be similar, was there any paperwork to get the motor across, any suggestions which boat dealer to go to.

Doesn't that void your warranty ? I have bought trucks ,snowmobiles etc and as soon as it lands here in Canada the manufacturer will not honor the warranty .

if your looking into is remeber the cdn is at 89 ehich means you will get more like 87-88 cents. then the state tax and then hst and fuel on top of that. think about looking local at bridge yachts this time of year can get some great deals on yamahas. dont get me wrong i go to the states all the time for shopping. just havent with the low dollar now . i would reccomend pennsylvenia if you do the taxes are way less in that state.

I purchased from cabelas and used invoice at the border. The warranty is valid. I forget the exact number but know the saving was greater than $3000 . I had talked to hully gully, their best price was very close to price I paid cabelas , plus the hully gully deal included my old motor. I sold the old motor private for around 3000.

Just remember every dollar spent in the States helps there economy not ours. We wonder why we don't have jobs here and factories move out of the country!!!
i don't like it that i have to buy from the US, but if you don't have the extra money to spend theirs no other choice, i would buy a used one but im not going to pay around $2000+ for a used outboard when i could pay about $800-$1000 more for a new one and have warranty

IMO... If I was a business here and you brought your motor in for service or repair or warranty that was bought in the states... I would tell you to take it to where you bought it... Support your local business's there the ones that are going to help you out of a jam... I'm all for saving a buck but lets keep it local...

Just remember every dollar spent in the States helps there economy not ours. We wonder why we don't have jobs here and factories move out of the country!!!
IMO... If I was a business here and you brought your motor in for service or repair or warranty that was bought in the states... I would tell you to take it to where you bought it... Support your local business's there the ones that are going to help you out of a jam... I'm all for saving a buck but lets keep it local...
X3
And what are you going to save Nothing.
Time going, Gas to and from, overnight accommodation, difference on exchange, all the crap at the boarder, then you get in a jam with repair and you hope to get respect from your local repair shop.
Suport your local guy, because when you get older and want medical coverage, you'll find out about the 2 cents you saved.
We have to stop this over the boarder shopping, people just don't understand. Stabbing yourself in the back.
But you do what you want, don't listen to us.

I bought a Tohatsu from Bridge Marine in PD. I looked long and hard at going to the states or even over the pond. All said and done the deal was as good at Bridge and the service was outstanding. To everyone's point if you do have an issue if you buy local you can get service local.
Just my thoughts
Good Luck with it
dc

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks