BOAT LICENCE REGISTRATION

sonnyuphi

Just talked with Transport Canada about changing address on my boat # ! My boat was registered in 1978 so I thought I better update info (address) to current one. Found out that you must register your boat every 10 years -no charge yet for this but you know how governments want money . Secondly ,you must send them the following 3 docs.
1) proof of who you are -driver's licence,passport etc
2) proof of ownership (got the boat in 1978 so you know that piece is long gone)
3) a 4x6 colour photo of the boat

Talk about creating a red tape nightmare .so as it sits right now if I were checked out on the water my old # would be invalid and I could be charged.
How many of us boaters/fishermen knew that you must renew every 10 years?
Who heard about this photo thing?
Government does horrible job of informing the public about regulation changes!

What I was told, if your vessel licence was older than 10 years, you'd be grandfathered.
But Kathleen says I'm going to get 25% back on my hydro.:confused: I saw her say it on TV:LOL::LOL:
I went to the Transport Canada Site, can't find the Grandfather thing.
Thanks for the heads up, some won't be happy.:)

Last edited:
After having my boat surveyed in early 2015 I realized that I had not updated my licence registration to include the six foot addition we had made to the hull. Updated the licence that time with a new form and had to make sure to enclose a coloured photo. So I am guessing it's about 2 years since they started it. (About the same time that Fish Farmer I believe mentioned the 10 year free renewal on this very Forum)

Edit: I did mine in September and I had to send the photo & ID but I did it online and just uploaded them I guess. I kind of forgot about that and thought that I hadn't done it but apparently I did....

Last edited:
Wow....I was wondering how that was going to work. Noticed that the registration for my 2008 Lund was only valid for 10 years. I bought it used in 2012. I hope they plan to send out notices. Not very likely I'll remember to renew the thing on my own. Agree with sunnyuphi that it's just a matter of time before it becomes another reason to tax us.

Yup. All gov't BS... never will it stop.. G.Mech... now you are showing your age. I've done that 1000 times now I think..

Nothing on the licence says 10 years-their website says they must be renewed every 10 years. Just hate to see some OPP with an attitude start handing out tickets for expired licences out on the Bay to a lot of unknowing boaters.

Nothing on the licence says 10 years-their website says they must be renewed every 10 years. Just hate to see some OPP with an attitude start handing out tickets for expired licences out on the Bay to a lot of unknowing boaters.

I've been stopped 4 times by OPP for casual checks and I still haven't transferred the boat ownership into my name. Seeing as I cannot recall hearing about anyone having to provide their boat ownership, I think you'll be fine.

It's been 5 years, guess I should get around to changing the boat into my name. Could be interesting....

Mine was expired also.Just sent all the required info.No big deal,No fee mentioned.Will see what shows up in the mail.Thanks G.Mech the link was helpful.Just hope I keep my numbers as I do not want to peel them off and have to purchase a new pack of numbers.

I think it would be good to challenge seeing as there is no expire on my registration and it could be challenged as there is nothing that informs people of this and not every person spends time on their website to find this. Info like this should be sent to registered owners as to these changes as required by law changes. They send our renewals for you drivers and plates so why is this any different :whistle:. They want people to abide by the law, then let people know of these changes then there is no further problem.... Just my opinion(y)

Remember when fac's where good for life? And snowmobile plates? Likely have to renew ice hut numbers for a fee soon as well.

The way I see it is, if people do not voice these concerns, then they will just keep doing what they want with no regard to the people that they are representing and will change laws with out letting any body know.. time to standup for our rights and stop complaining when they do things... sorry just my opinion

The way I see it is, if people do not voice these concerns, then they will just keep doing what they want with no regard to the people that they are representing and will change laws with out letting any body know.. time to standup for our rights and stop complaining when they do things... sorry just my opinion

I agree with Loonietoon we always seem to take it up the A$$. Grin and bare it.Well screw them. ..just saying

I agree with you Calvin, and ship wrecked avatar says it.
From what I was told it's because of all the boats and motors stolen, if your name is not on the vessel licence you could be on the carpet for many questions,
did you pay the tax on the boat&motor besides the trailer, and why are you in someone else's boat.
Info like this should be publicized so people know what's going on.
Just like what was on W5 this week about older people getting telemarketing into bankruptcy.
This stuff should be on front pages of the paper and repeated on the news.
You can bet I'll bring this up at our next club meeting,
I don't want to know who is worlds champion ping pong champ on the front page:mad::)

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks