Off Topic boat led flood lights?

Centerspin

I want to make a set of "driving" led lights that would connect to my 24V trolling plug for riding a river at night. Anybody done something like this? What is better for fog - a white and a blue light, or a white and a yellow? There is a lot of choices on amazon, just need some starting pointers.
Cheers!

My brother mounted two White LED spotlights on his duckboat but they are hardwired to a switchbox at the Stern. I have yet to see them at night but my concern would be them washing out the Red/Green navigation light ? As for colour of light ? Any light hitting fog will just bounce back at you but they use to use Yellow/Amber a lot in the old days . You may have to experiment ?

Last edited:
My brother mounted two White LED spotlights on his duckboat but they are hardwired to a switchbox at the Stern. I have yet to see them at night but my concern would be them washing out the Red/Green navigation light ? As for colour of light ? Any light hitting fog will just bounce back at you but they use to use Yellow/Amber a lot in the old days . You may have to experiment ?
Thank you!. I have found the lights that can be switched between white and yellow, and also found much weaker ones that can be wired to be white or blue or both at the same time.

Mounted a pair of white ( 6000k/6500Lm) led's to the bow for my 17' when I used to frequent the Pickerel river in Port Loring. They were fantastic under normal night conditions however, in a foggy environment, they made visibility much worse, just like hitting your high beams in the fog, can't see :poop: ! I didn't resort to yellow because when I used yellow on my truck back in the day, all they did was change the color of the fog from white to yellow and in my opinion, didn't improve the visibility factor at all.
Fog just sucks no matter what type of lighting you have...in my opinion.

Mounted a pair of white ( 6000k/6500Lm) led's to the bow for my 17' when I used to frequent the Pickerel river in Port Loring. They were fantastic under normal night conditions however, in a foggy environment, they made visibility much worse, just like hitting your high beams in the fog, can't see :poop: ! I didn't resort to yellow because when I used yellow on my truck back in the day, all they did was change the color of the fog from white to yellow and in my opinion, didn't improve the visibility factor at all.
Fog just sucks no matter what type of lighting you have...in my opinion.

What he said. I had yellow hued "fog lights" on an old truck back in the day. IMO, it didn't help a darned thing, but they gave the fog a lovely hint of yellow!

The fog lights on my truck certainly help with fog (when its not insane) and they are just white, thank God, not LED :).
Maybe the trick is to mount boat lights as low as possible and the color doesn't matter?

I don't think it is so much the colour but the placement a stated above. Just like trucks etc. is it best to keep the lights low to the ground for best effect. I have seen gimbal mounted lights that will keep light low down regardless of waves or accelerating. I may suggest only one light in the middle facing forward and then have your red/green lights on each side so they can remain visible to other boaters.

I bought an 8" or so light bar off Amazon as well. It does work well for cruising the creeks when I used to fish out of Bruce early or late in the dark and that was an issue.Last couple years I fish Stanley instead so no problem as Lake is right there. On the lake even with as bright as it is it doesn't help a tonne and I am sure it will wash out you red/green NAV lights. Also some people seem to frown upon them as they say they blind other boaters but I was always aware and turned mine off if anyone was incoming

Get yourself a good headlamp, some of them are amazing with different settings and red lights

For duck hunting I use a One Million Candlepower handheld spot light. I can point it anywhere and flick it on/off with my thumb. Excellent for finding the mouth of a channel or motoring through the marsh. As for fog ? Rule is "Dead Slow" or as fog permits.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks