boat launches if privately own land can be open ,if..

Point #1 - so in summary... only allowed if it's your permanent home... does not apply to seasonal cottage... but technically you can use your seasonal cottage if you have no other choice... what does that mean? lol

Point #3c - Would love to hear someone try to convince an officer that two people from different households spending the day in a 12 ft tinner is in line with social distancing guidance :D. Use your head, folks!

While there is no ban on fishing, many access points for fishing are closed and the fines are steep for violating these closures. If anglers do not exercise common sense and respect the intent of the restrictions already in place, they only create justification for further restrictions.

The social distancing requirements need a specific number (2 m) so that they can be enforceable, but it's still just a number - why push the limit? There is no magic barrier that appears that appears when you're 6 ft away - the point is to isolate yourself from people that don't already live under the same roof. If you can find a way to enjoy the outdoors while doing so (and not violating other restrictions), knock yourself out (and probably don't post about it on the internet).

Last edited:
I just took the time to listen to that interview.
rushcreek the "straight rules" you mention are only your assessment/assumptions. Rules and guidelines are two totally different things.
The 2 meter social distancing law only applies to groups of 5 or more.
Don't take it that I think this guideline shouldn't be applied to groups of less than 4 from different residences but it's only a guideline and unenforceable until the government issues an order which to the best of my knowledge hasn't happened yet.
As for permanent verses seasonal cottages your assessment isn't backed by the current laws.
There is also no prohibition against 2 people from different residences from diving together.
Yes I believe social distancing should be followed but the current fact is the social distancing laws only apply to groups of 5 or more.
Far too many are confusing recommendations with laws. The Minister in typical political double speak using the word "protocols" but never stated they were currently an issued order under the law.
And don't get me started on Angelo attempting to get the season closed.

this is copied from some were else ,im kinda on the fence on the issue,
You posted it as your view point without stating it was copied from elsewhere.
That should have been stated right from the start with a reference to where it came from.

And don't get me started on Angelo attempting to get the season closed.

Yah seriously what is up with that? As an ambassador of Canadian anglers he should maybe consider what the majority of anglers expect of him before he starts working against those that support his livelihood. It really is a popularity contest and he has lost a lot of points with me, and I am sure I am not the only one.

You posted it as your view point without stating it was copied from elsewhere.
That should have been stated right from the start with a reference to where it came from.
maybe ,,not as perfect as some...i ve been having to field a lot of inquires ,mostly in local area ,wanting to get or no how they can get boat to there homes,and if they can use the ramps here that are on private land,not land owned by feds,prov. county or tws

Last edited:
And for the river rats you want to make certain that you are not on LPRCA or NCC property. From what I know you will be charged for trespassing on their closed work place. I love my water but 750 plus in fines ain't worth it to me.

So the real question is who has a private launch, and wants to make some money. I will email transfer the funds, and use gloves and a mask while using your launch. It would be just me !
I’ve never had this much time off an not been able to get a line wet..

The 2 meter social distancing law only applies to groups of 5 or more.

Agreed with your post re: rules/laws vs guidelines, but whether enforceable or not the intent of the 2 m guidance could hardly be clearer - it doesn't only apply to groups. What starts as a recommendation will turn into law if folks refuse to use common sense. Case in point: Toronto did already create a bylaw to enforce the 2 m rule (fines up to $5000). Stretching the limits of current guidance will only lead to more restrictions (enforceable ones).

APR 13, 2020 —

Hello Everyone,
I listened today to an important radio show regarding Fishing and Hunting and what the situation is right now.
It was an update from John Yakabuski the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry, and he joined Angelo (radio host) to discuss how the Covid-19 pandemic is affecting MNRF operations.
To listen to the radio please click on the link below:
https://fishncanada.com/radio/ontar...06M4boHw950gMGIEWYbihbKONa1w0CN9xY37vo33kzCBU
I took specific notes from the radio show for those that just want to quickly read straight facts.
So far the 2020 Ontario Fishing Season is a GO even with the threat of Covid19 and hunting was mentioned as a GO as well.
Here are the straight rules. Share them and abide by them please!
1) If you live on the lake or a river or have a permanent house on a lake or river yes you can fish provided you follow the 2 metre social distancing rule set by the Ontario government. This does not apply to seasonal cottages at this time unless it is your permanent home. However you could technically launch your boat from your seasonal property if that is the only launch you have.
2) If you have a friend that wants to launch their boat from your private property it’s okay but again you must follow the 2 metre social distance rule.
3) If you can find a launch that is open elsewhere, you are allowed to launch your boat, kayak, or canoe provided you follow these specific rules:
a) You must reside in the same household. (So a family living in the same house under the same roof or a couple living together under the same roof is allowed to go on their boat.)
b) 4 buddies for examples from different addresses are not allowed to be on the same boat as there is no way to ensure a 2 metre social distance.
c) If you are 2 people from different households and provided you can keep a 2 metre social distance on the boat, that’s okay. So 10 foot boat (NO), 12 foot + (YES)
d) We are all allowed to shore fish but you will need to keep 2 metre social distancing while doing so for example (two buddies) must keep 2 metre social distance at all times. If you’re from the same household you are allowed to be together.
e) Remember if you are two people that don’t reside in the same household you most likely have to take separate cars as it is not possible to follow the 2 metre social distancing rule in the vehicle.
Sure seems like common sense prevailed like some of us were saying ... wish I had a private ramp on erie .. the creeks and rivers I fish on not on conservation lands !!!! Glad to hear ...

Welcome to communist canada under Trudeau's rule.....
What does that even have to do with the thread? My dad once told me to never talk politics or religion with more then 1 person in the room. You may want to consider that. FYI.. The closures we are dealing with are provincially restricted, not federally.

If this continues into the May long weekend.Ill launching at my buddies place.He fishes in his boat,I fish in mine.Plus I have a Airstream to stay in to isolate there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks