Boat Insurance

targa

New boat and looking for insurance. Was quoted 93 a month from my current home and auto insurance company. I tried MD boat insurance and recieved a good quote but have not heard of them before. Has anyone used MD or have any leads on a known company with decent rates?

Not knowing what you bought I can't compare to what we have. Last year we bought a 19.5' Legend with a 115 main. We insured with Portside Marine Insurance based in Ottawa. Cost for a year under $600.

I use Premier Marine Ins. I have a 19'- 1998 Sylvan with 100hp and 9.9hp Yamahas and a Shoreline trailer. $407/year. Hope this helps.

I am with Premier Insurance thru BrokerLink out of Port Rowan Bayside Ins. Quite happy with them over the years including one major claim. Had to remind myself to photocopy front page of insurance policy to put on boat! If pulled over one is suppose to produce proof of insurance and ownership!

I can actually help with this as I'm buying a policy with MD this week. I got a lot of quotes recently and they were all in the same ballpark, but it seems that they're all brokers that sell the same Aviva marine insurance policy. Every quote I got was within %10, but MD was the lowest. Since they were all underwritten by Aviva, the product was the exact same thing. Be careful though some quote policies with ridiculously high deductibles.

Jordyn helped me. Really helpful broker.

Update. I just got a quote from Portside based on the recommendations in this thread. Quote was $200 less than MD

I am with Premier Insurance thru BrokerLink out of Port Rowan Bayside Ins. Quite happy with them over the years including one major claim. Had to remind myself to photocopy front page of insurance policy to put on boat! If pulled over one is suppose to produce proof of insurance and ownership!
Actually you are not required to have boat insurance from what I was told from both my previous and current insurance providers. Not sure where your info came from? Care to share? Although I do carry it more for trailering than personal use because although you boat is covered for and damages it may do while hooked to you truck it’s not actually covered against damages if someone were to hit you. C53C09AF-A932-4E2D-9861-88BC0ABFAACE.png

Actually you are not required to have boat insurance from what I was told from both my previous and current insurance providers. Not sure where your info came from? Care to share? Although I do carry it more for trailering than personal use because although you boat is covered for and damages it may do while hooked to you truck it’s not actually covered against damages if someone were to hit you. View attachment 23191
It's because Ontario doesn't have jurisdiction over boats.
They fall under Federal laws.

MD quoted me just over 500 for the year with a 1500 deductible. could get lower deductibles for of course more dough. Some great info to help us all save.

Care to share where you read that because according to boating ontario you do not.
I guess you didn't understand my comment.
I agreed with you.
The reason that Ontario doesn't require insurance for boats is because it's not within their jurisdiction to do so.

@targa I’ve changed over to MD insurance and I saved just over $250 They use Aviva and the policy is under NautiMax which I was insured with before. Same coverage and deductible as before, 2001 Wellcraft 230 Fishermen center console, 250 hp Etech. It was a pleasure dealing with them over the phone, had to send pictures of the boat, serial #’s. Next year it will be 20 yrs old and they have informed Me of getting a marine survey done, which will be no problem to have done.
They are a site sponsor here and are their office is located in Orillia.

I think last year I heard that some boaters were stopped in Long Point Bay and they were required to show proof. The Feds,OPP and Coast Guard patrol this area especially around Potahawk weekend. Can't remember exactly where I heard it. I know some Marinas require boaters to show proof of insurance to use their slips.

So who can ticket you for not having insurance? i was under tbe understanding that insurance was opitional

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks