Boat cover during summer?

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hello all

Wondering how you all keep your boat in the driveway during the summer between uses

I have been leaving my travel cover on
And take it off here and there when there is no rain in the forecast to let it breath…

I hate how hot and humid it is under the cover can’t be good for anything especially the fish finder

Leaving the cover off isn’t a great option either as everything gets cooked in the sun, or a random pop up storm will soak everything

There must be a cover out there that breaths and keeps the boat from getting soaked during a down pour and protect everything from the suns harmful uv rays??? Or is that too good to exist?

mine sits under a lean too. I also crack open all my little storage doors to let a little air flow. what about putting a fan under the cover for a little air movement?

@Old Cut LongPointer I have the shelter logic tent but I used it for winter storage and there is a tree kinda in front of it makes it a chore getting the boat in and out. we cemented it into the ground so it isnt going anywhere.. its just the tree that gets in the way of that being a regular parking spot for it.
I also like to keep the boat close to the house so its clearly in view of the security cameras.

@merc_man fans not a bad idea ill definitely try it.

I crack all of my compartments, put the mooring covers on, and then I put a cheap sacrificial sun cover over top of the whole works. Yeah it gets hot, and yes it’s not perfect but my boat lives outside year round and to date I haven’t had a problem. I just live with it! I tried to figure out a better way but figured without major Reno’s to my driveway and maybe installing a carport off to the side that was probably out. I just did a string of Reno’s in the last year including an addition so I’m done for a while. Maybe on the next round. I do leave the cover off after a trip to try and dry everything up.

even boat at indoor storage always leave the cover on , even just to keep the dust out. 5 years old and still looks new

Mine sits in driveway with cover on. Dry boat so no extra moisture under cover. I've been doing it like that since I got a boat too big for garage. No issuses yet. I stick a jack stand under the front to get enough angle that rain runs off and It would be tough to steal.

View attachment 43361these vents work great. Keeps the moisture down. Joe Dale had them and Cabelas have them online. Cover sandwiches between 2 rubber sections.
My travel cover is from Joe dale
Which has two of these vents in it..
but I still see moisture building underneath in the hot humid days
I leave cover off to air out and dry after fishing trips so long as there is no rain in the forecast.

Nah I just don’t like seeing moisture on the in dash fish finder!
My old one on old boat I just pop it off bring inside the house with me didn’t have to worry about it.. same with the storage compartment that keep the hand held part of the bow mount gets moisture on it sometimes

Anyways just figured maybe someone has a good cover that allows more venting..
but sounding like nothing different than what I currently am using

I kept my Lund Alaskan in the drive with a travel cover on it. It didnt breath at all. I put it away a bit damp a couple of times and after a week in the sun it had turned into a greenhouse and had mildew all over the seats. I started to keep a couple edges open and it seemed fine after that.

Derkd9, I used a ShelterLogic canopy from CTC and had no issues. Neither sun or rain got on the boat. I used a long screw anchor instead of the pegs that came with it and screwed them in on a 45 degree angle inward. Surprisingly, it withstood 90k winds! The wind shook the canopy's cage but didn't lift or tear....lasted 4 years and sold it with the boat.

I always store covered when not in use. Maybe not the the day before or after an outing if there's no rain in the forcast. Standing water causes rot and mould and does a lot more harm than humidity. My boat has no carpet but I still don't want water pooling in the corners and bilge and stuff.

Hello all

Wondering how you all keep your boat in the driveway during the summer between uses

I have been leaving my travel cover on
And take it off here and there when there is no rain in the forecast to let it breath…

I hate how hot and humid it is under the cover can’t be good for anything especially the fish finder

Leaving the cover off isn’t a great option either as everything gets cooked in the sun, or a random pop up storm will soak everything

There must be a cover out there that breaths and keeps the boat from getting soaked during a down pour and protect everything from the suns harmful uv rays??? Or is that too good to exist?
I keep my boat in the driveway all year, I bought a waterproof tarp from Canadian Tire (around $100.00) & cover my boat for the summer, I take it off a much as possible to let the boat breath, in the winter I get the boat wrapped & for extra security a also cover it with the tarp, never had any problems, works great.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks