Boat Batteries / Winter Storage

Shank

Just wondering if anyone leaves has thoughts on leaving boat batteries hooked up on the boat all winter long. I have a a 24 volt trolling motor setup and a starting battery. Just talked to a buddy that charges them up and leaves them in the boat all winter and swears many others do the same with no issues. Doesn't make sense to me, likely because I was told years ago this wasn't the way to do it. Perhaps things have changed. Looking for advice.
Thanks in advance.

The last couple of years I have left them in the boat. I make sure they are all fully charged, I then disconnect them and put it away for the season. So far no issues .

You definitely can do that, and I agree with your buddy that many people do. It may impact the lifespan of your batteries, however.

I prefer to store my battery in the basement fully charged, but I might not if it was a pain in the neck or I didn’t have room.

I leave all 4 battery in the boat , with the smart charger plugged in all winter , yes you probably get longer life out of it if removed but a pain to get to 2 of it

I have left 2 optima blue tops in the boat last winter fully charged and 1 was ruined, this year I will pull them out and store them in the basement

I have always left my 3 batteries in the boat which is in my unheated garage on trickle charge all winter with no issues whatsoever. I average 10 years on my starter batteries and I am on year 5 for my 2 SM31 trolling motor batteries and still good.

A battery stays in your vehicle all winter but it gets used and stays charged not to mention warmed up. For a boat or anything else left out in the cold that won't see use I would recommend storing it inside , on a non-conductive surface (wood/rubber mat) and fully charged with a once a month top off with a trickle charge. Ideally inside where it's warm is best but even an unheated garage will work but try to keep them off the floor, waist high shelf or workbench. Most batteries are maintenance free but if you have the older type it's a good idea to check the fluid level in each cell and top off to Fill Line(after charging not before) if needed using only distilled/demineralized water. Should the plates inside be exposed (very low level) fill with water until they are just covered ( DO NOT OVERFILL ! ) then a slow trickle charge to avoid a boil over. Always use your PPE when handling batteries ! Buying a battery hydrometer and fill bottle is a cheap investment and darn handy when working on those type of batteries.

I also use a battery switch so it completly disconnects all electrical so there is no phantom draw over the winter to keep clocks running.

Unless you put them on trickle charge all winter, dont leave them in your boat. The best is to always take them out and put them on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on your basement floor and charge every month. The closer you keep your batteries to 100 % the healthier and longer your batteries will be.

How To Store Your Boat Battery During the Winter​

What’s a marine battery?​

Marine batteries are classified as deep-cycle batteries and starting batteries. Knowing what type you require is important when purchasing your battery. This means they are specifically designed to provide steady, reliable power over an extended period of time or high cranking power for starting. However, deep-cycle batteries and starting batteries do not do well in extreme temperatures which means you need to take extra precautions when storing them over the winter months.

Storing marine batteries​

Struggling to start your boat in the summer is an indication the battery was improperly stored over the winter. To prevent this from happening, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to correctly store your marine batteries:

1. Clean the battery. Before putting it into storage for the winter, it’s important to clean your boat battery. This includes wiping down the top and bottom, cleaning the terminals and checking for corrosion and leaks.
  2. Charge the battery. Marine batteries should always be stored with a full charge. This will prevent the battery from freezing and reduce the risk of diminishing the battery’s capacity.
  3. Remove the battery. It’s a good idea to remove the battery entirely from your boat and store it off the ground in a cool, dry place such as a basement or garage. If you don’t plan on completely removing the battery from your boat, make sure that you disconnect it from all the terminals to prevent it from discharging too quickly.
  4. Check the charge monthly. All batteries will lose a certain amount of charge each month, even when they’re not in use. To prevent the charge on your boat battery from dropping dramatically, you should check the voltage with a voltmeter every month. To save time, you may want to consider investing in a trickle charger to easily maintain the voltage over winter.
Lastly, correctly storing your marine batterycan lengthen its life, save you money and keep it working as well as the day you bought it.

All good advice here. I would add caution to putting a auto-charger on all the time for the winter, instead just set a reminder to pit it on for a day or so once a month.

Had a battery cell go bad one year and with the continuous auto-changer on cooked it, boiled it and boiling acid fizz leaked everywhere.

Just wondering if anyone leaves has thoughts on leaving boat batteries hooked up on the boat all winter long. I have a a 24 volt trolling motor setup and a starting battery. Just talked to a buddy that charges them up and leaves them in the boat all winter and swears many others do the same with no issues.
I do this with no issues. i do leave the onboard charger connected though to maintain them.

Batteries freezing isn't a problem *as long as they're charged*.

Just don't allow them to discharge.

The storage on the floor thing is a myth for modern batteries, right? Most important thing is to keep them charged.

I just disconnect the batteries for winter, leave them in the boat, and top up with a charger every month or so. Boat is in the unheated garage.

A battery stays in your vehicle all winter but it gets used and stays charged not to mention warmed up. For a boat or anything else left out in the cold that won't see use I would recommend storing it inside , on a non-conductive surface (wood/rubber mat) and fully charged with a once a month top off with a trickle charge. Ideally inside where it's warm is best but even an unheated garage will work but try to keep them off the floor, waist high shelf or workbench. Most batteries are maintenance free but if you have the older type it's a good idea to check the fluid level in each cell and top off to Fill Line(after charging not before) if needed using only distilled/demineralized water. Should the plates inside be exposed (very low level) fill with water until they are just covered ( DO NOT OVERFILL ! ) then a slow trickle charge to avoid a boil over. Always use your PPE when handling batteries ! Buying a battery hydrometer and fill bottle is a cheap investment and darn handy when working on those type of batteries.
Can you please explain DO NOT OVERFILL with water. I was told fill the cells up to the bottom of the top hole. Thanks.

Can you please explain DO NOT OVERFILL with water. I was told fill the cells up to the bottom of the top hole. Thanks.
Just cover the plates inside. Any more isn't necessary or helpful.

Top of the plates and the bottom of the hole are close. Either is fine.

I always store my boat batteries indoors and trickle charge every couple months. My starting battery is now 10 years old and still charges like new.
On the other hand I have a solar system at my trailer and I leave it all winter long. They're in a wooden box off the ground and out of the wind. My battery guy told me as long as the batteries stay charged they won't freeze. Had these batteries for 7 years & counting.
Maybe it's just the battery gods that determine life 🤔.

A long time ago I asked the people at Maple City Marine in Chatham where I bought my boat if I should take them inside or leave them in boat all winter in freezing weather.

His reply was, would you want to be out on the lake with a battery that couldn't survive a winter? That was a good point. So I leave them in and if they prove not up to snuff in the spring they get replaced. Its a test of survival.

I believe baby'ing a starting battery is a setup for problems sooner or later when you least want them. If they can't survive a winter, out they go. Plus, 6 years is about maximum for me for a battery no matter what. I am not that guy 15 miles out calling on CH16 for a tow in because my battery is pooched.

I put my 6 year old batteries on kijiji and watch them go quickly.

A long time ago I asked the people at Maple City Marine in Chatham where I bought my boat if I should take them inside or leave them in boat all winter in freezing weather.

His reply was, would you want to be out on the lake with a battery that couldn't survive a winter? That was a good point. So I leave them in and if they prove not up to snuff in the spring they get replaced. Its a test of survival.

I believe baby'ing a starting battery is a setup for problems sooner or later when you least want them. If they can't survive a winter, out they go. Plus, 6 years is about maximum for me for a battery no matter what. I am not that guy 15 miles out calling on CH16 for a tow in because my battery is pooched.

I put my 6 year old batteries on kijiji and watch them go quickly.
Sorry, I can't help but comment on your reply. I love the reply from the guy (who sells batteries) at Maple City 🤣. Batteries have specifications and adhering to them will definitely extend their life. Leaving it in a snow bank to survive the winter is probably not within spec. Measuring specific gravity will indicate the life expectancy not the number of times it's been babied. I've never had to get a boost or a tow due to battery failure. When the battery falls below spec I replace it.
On the other hand, it's your boat and your call, if you feel safer replacing regularly then so be it. Like you said you're not that guy 15 miles out calling for help, and that's the whole point.
cheers

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks