Boat and motor help

fishnhunt

Hey, really need some help...

I have a 14' lund and I just recently purchased a 15hp Honda to push it around. I mounted the motor on the boat yesterday and took it for a quick rip out of Pt. Bruce.

Well the boat came out of the water and onto plane in seconds and ran along at a good speed.

THE PROBLEM:

As soon as I was on plane water began to splash up from the motor (between the motor and the transom) and into the boat?????? Were talking alot of water being splashed in. I have had many boats and have never had this problem, nor have I heard of anyone else having this issue. Once I got the boat out of the water I checked for anything obvious that might be causing the problem and came up with nothing.

It is the correct shaft length, I could move the motor back an 1" or so by adding a block of wood to the transom. Or is it just where the manual tilt on the motor is set is in the wrong position???? Too low?

Thanks for any and all help I'm baffled?

ok if you tip the motor more it will put the front up higher. This may not be a bad thing. on my 16 ft with 40hp it would plane out fast but I would catch a wave in the front every once in a while. Being a bit new to all that I didn't know about the tilt part until someone pointed it out to me one day when i was going out with more people and maybe I sould tip it more to make it plane better. well I tipped it and it planed well for the day and I forgot to change it back. Then I noticed that I wasn't catching those nose waves anymore.

so as your boat might be going into plane it maybe a very low plane still a plane might help to mess with it. I drilled a hole in my pin and hooked a chain to it so I could make an adjustment on the water with out fear of dropping the pin

I recommend you take it to an expert. It sounds like your engine is hanging too deep. There is an optimum adjustment that is usually done if you have your engine bolted onto your transom but typically any 15 hp engine will work OK on any transom that matches it. Modern 14' Lunds all have 20" transoms, older 14' boats were all 15" and some 15 hp engines are designed for sailboats at 25".

Water should never splash over the transom on a Lund or any boat for that matter. Sounds like your motor is mounted too low in the water. You stated that the shaft length was correct but measure both your motor & transom height just to make absolutely sure they are indeed the same. Say the motor happens to be a 20 inch shaft length but the transom is only 15 inch, then water will definitely splash over as the planer plate on your motor will be below the water line when on plane. The same would apply if the motor was a 25 inch & the boat a 20 inch height. If they are both the same then I suggest you seek help from a boat dealer for a solution as to the cause.

i had the same problem with my boat.I had to replace the wood in the stern and did not cut it down as deep.....problem solved.Not sure of the name of the part but the horizontal fins above the prop should not be any lower than the bottom of the boat.

The cavitation plate of the motor should be no more then one inch below to lowest point of the boat’s hull; this is with the motor tilted to its lowest position.
This was a quote from my Honda’s owner’s manual.

Dan.

Thanks to everyone who responded! As most of you said the motor was indeed hanging too low in the water. I added a 3/4" piece of p.t. wood and problem solved! I always thought, atleast with smaller motors, you could just clamp them on and away you go but obviously not......Thanks again for the help. Now to get it cammoed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks