Boat advice

Bugzy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi everyone,

Looking to see if anyone has advice on a new boat. I’ve run a flat back canoe for a few years now and looking to upgrade. I was leaning towards a 14’ small v hull but have a line on a 1648 mod v (tracker grizzly). I mainly hunt the interior of the unit and Luther, but that’s only because the canoe was a little nerve racking when exposed to those N/E winds on the perimeter.

Any chance someone on here hunts with a tracker 1648 grizzly (or other size). The boat weighs a ton (+/- 500lbs) when I’ve compared it to the 14’ Jon’s or mod v I’ve been looking at. The boat will be for duck only as I already have a SC boat (fire engine red all over) I use for for fishing Erie.

My go to resource has always been my father, but that’s not possible anymore. Thought this group would be a good resource of experince. My end goal is to open up the perimeter, use shooting points and explore B zone on those appropriate weather days.

I’ve posted a similar post on another site before I found the 16’ mod v. Sorry if you follow both.

Really appreciate sharing experiences/knowledge.

Thanks!

I just hear so many hunters indicate that they always wanted bigger when talking 12 and 14’ Jon’/ boats. I started in a 1236 with long tail and it was small and the freeboard (if any) was questionable when loaded. While in understand a 1448 is larger overall, I have all those voices in the background saying “go bigger”. I do see that 14’ are all over the place for a good deal, but I don’t want to be doing this a couple years from now again.

Maybe it’s a knee jerk reaction on my side, but I had a little fear instilled in me late last year when the trolling motor pilled ice that had been broken by others and threw the canoe around.

Going to get out next week with the canoe and see if this is an appropriate year to make that step up with water levels being low.

Thanks for the feedback and if there is any insight/experience in the sizing 14’ v 16’ I’m all ears.

I used a 14 foot Starcraft , I think it was a "Fisherman" model with a 25 HP on it for many years. This is not a "Jon boat" just your basic "Tinnie" and it took me everywhere on the Inner Bay in all kinds of weather. I could pack 2 guys , a dog plus a few bags of decoys and the boat was not overloaded sometimes I pushed it with 3 guys and more decoys but I wasn't running down the Bay. I could break ice with it maybe 2 inch thick but that's hard on your propeller. I had a Starcraft Jon boat 1438 and found it "tippy" so getting a wide one is a must plus a Vee bow wouldn't hurt either if you go with that style boat. As for horsepower ? I would go with the max rating on the boat in a 2 stroke because it all boils down to your power to weight ratio .

I've had numerous jonboats. 1440, 1648, 1760 and 1960.

1648 mod v jon is a great boat for 2 guys and all the gear. Very stable and can take some big water as long as you aren't in a hurry.

How much do you hunt Luther vs how much do you hunt long point. Luther is a 14 foot boat deal in my opinion, and I’ve hunted it enough to know. Yes you can run bigger but the launch points are often pretty crap when waters low low. 500lbs is a lot of weight for a jon boat. My 16 foot mod v tinner weighs 275lbs and the motor is another 125. Total weight of 400 and tons of room, wide boat. 500 is a bit overweight. There are benefits to a 16. If I was exclusively hunting the outer blinds at LP, or interested in doing some bigger water puddler and diver hunting I’d be looking for a mod v hull 16 with a 30 or 40 on the back. Most likely a lund SSV Other than that a 14 is quite versatile. It depends what you want to do. I find 14’s hide better in the inner marsh, and 16’s are the way to go when you expect you might find some hairy weather or on bigger water. The only reason I’m running a 16 for a tin boat now is that it’s mainly out on Nippissing as it’s stored at our place up north. Ducks or fishing, that lake can get pretty rough!

Thanks Porkpie!
The weight of that 16’ was a concern of mine but wanted to see if I was being crazy. I sometimes let the excitement get the best of me….

I head to Luther 1 or 2 times a week up until mid November then basically switch over to LP. I enjoy the marsh and have never really explored the perimeter or B zone. Learned to hunt in a 12’ squared nose John with a rattling mud motor. It worked but was a slug, over loaded most of the time and limited our options. The canoe is great but I’d like to open up more opportunities, be a little more stable and get away from the trolling motor.

I think a 14’ mod v with a 20hp is being picked up this week. Not the forever duck boat, but will be great ride for many years so long as water levels cooperate.

Im also hoping it has magical powers and makes my shot better!

Do you mean "mod v" as in a tinnie or Jon boat ? Having a Bow and gunwales when shooting the head of the Bay or the fringe of the Unit is a good thing ! Too many incidents with Jon boats getting swamped at Long Point. Install a bilge pump if it doesn't come with one ? Last time I drove by "B" Zone it looked like the weeds were pretty thick out there; not tall, just thick. Also launching at the Big Creek bridge isn't possible due to construction work so you will have to use Sandboy's or that other marina. The water level has been surprisingly low as of late so watch out for that not only while traveling but when and where you park the boat to hunt from as it can change ; sometimes quickly... sometimes slowly.

I absolutely agree with OCLP. I would make sure to look at a modified deep v running to a flatter bottom at the stern rather than a Jon. I owned a Jon boat once. It worked, but a modV hull was always the better choice for me and drafted darn near the same water as a Jon, just much better when the waves picked up a bit! I live 25 minutes from Luther, and I don't know that I'd want to put a 16 in there unless water is high!

Last edited:
Hello Bugzy,

I was told years ago (by the staff at one of our local marinas) that nothing less than a 14 foot "V" bottom boat with a 20 HP outboard should be considered for the inner bay.

A 16 foot "V" bottom boat with a 40 HP outboard would serve you well should you ever want to seriously pursue divers with a layout boat in the inner bay.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks