Blue Wing Teal ?

Old Cut LongPointer

I've heard reports of large flocks of Blue Wings being seen in the Unit and I'm hoping our temperatures stay warm enough for them to be here on the Opener but that's wishful thinking. I remember the late Prof. Dave Ankney telling me that if the night time temps drop below 15c the little birds don't like it and move on further South usually they are on their Wintering grounds by mid October. That raises the question as to why don't we have an early Teal Season here in Ontario ?

They are the second most abundant duck after Mallards, prime eating birds, supposedly decoy easy and pretty easy to identify by their size and speed. Many States south of the border have early Teal seasons ( some one week others two weeks) and even Wisconsin started one a few years ago. They don't allow 1/2 hour before sunrise shooting or 1/2 hour after sunset to make positive ID easier.

Hello OCLP,

I submitted a proposal to Mr. Jack Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) in October of 2011 regarding the potential for an early teal season in Ontario.

This proposal was subsequent to my proposal to delist the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species and my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season ... having previously discussed all three (3) proposals with two (2) well known wildlife biologists in this province.

All three (3) of my proposals were discussed at the Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) meeting in November of that year with the following results.

1) Limited (tag only) Tundra Swan Season

Although support for such a season was not established at that time the CWS eventually (following further documentation from me) agreed to conduct a Tundra Swan Season Assessment between April of 2011 and August of 2013 that fully supported such a season from a biological perspective however the level of interest from the waterfowl hunting community was unknown at that time.

2) Delist the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species

Although there was overall agreement that the Mute Swan was an invasive species that required some form of population control this was an issue that would continue to be "played" back and forth between the CWS and the Province of Ontario ... the CWS stating that they would make a decision if requested to do so by the Province of Ontario and the Province of Ontario stating that they would comply with a CWS decision to regulate the Mute Swan population.

3) Blue Winged Teal Season

The CWS identified two (2) problems with implementing this proposal. First ... an additional two (2) weeks had recently been added to the "back end" of the Ontario waterfowl hunting season at the request of the waterfowl hunting community ... so the CWS would want to know (a survey would be required) if the majority of waterfowl hunters would want to change this. Second ... the Blue Winged Teal population in Ontario was not doing well at the tine and the CWS had concerns that an earlier start to the waterfowl hunting season (southern section) could have a negative impact on our local Blue Winged Teal population.

Note: Although the Blue Winged Teal population out west was "booming" at the time (still is doing very well) these birds do not migrate through southern Ontario as explained to me. The states that have an early teal season are harvesting birds from the western provinces.

I trust that this will sufficiently explain why an early teal season in Ontario would probably not be acceptable to most waterfowl hunters who currently prefer a later ("back end") waterfowl season.

Jerome

PS I checked the weather forecast yesterday afternoon ... low of 10 C for last night, 7 C for Wednesday night and 5 C for Thursday night ... so maybe "bye-bye" to the Blue Winged Teal currently at Long Point is in order.

Thank you Jerome !

Back in 2011 you say ? That would be a "tough sell" asking hunters to give up a week at the end of the season but shouldn't apply as we are only after Teal in particular Blue Wing Teal. Wisconsin has recently opened an Early Teal Season but I would have to research their operating perimeters before making an argument in our case. They (Wisconsin) are closer to the main flyway of them (Blue Wing Teal) and designated as a breeding state/province which is somehow a factor in allowing an early season and as per your statement back in 2011 Ontario's breeding population wasn't in the best condition but times change and maybe revisiting this question may not be a bad idea ?

Hello OCLP,

I was told to "drop it" with reference to the potential early start to the southern waterfowl season after that OWAC meeting in November of 2010 but I was later asked to submit a proposal for a Mourning Dove season in the spring of 2011 ... a proposal that I was assured would be supported by the OWAC members at their next meeting ... which it was as you will remember.

Jerome

Hello OCLP,

Hopefully the CWS will implement a Sandhill Crane season in Ontario for the 2024-25 and the 2025-26 hunting seasons when they review and update the hunting regulations this fall. After that happens a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season will not be fall behind for reasons beyond the scope of this response.

Jerome

Hello OCLP,

Hopefully the CWS will implement a Sandhill Crane season in Ontario for the 2024-25 and the 2025-26 hunting seasons when they review and update the hunting regulations this fall. After that happens a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season will not be fall behind for reasons beyond the scope of this response.

Jerome
Definitely no shortage of sandhill cranes around Sault Ste Marie this past month, see them all over in the fields up there b

I bet there isn't a Blue Wing Teal to be found around The Soo ? LoL ! The migration is just starting and the season starts down here this Saturday 23rd.

2) Delist the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species

Although there was overall agreement that the Mute Swan was an invasive species that required some form of population control this was an issue that would continue to be "played" back and forth between the CWS and the Province of Ontario ... the CWS stating that they would make a decision if requested to do so by the Province of Ontario and the Province of Ontario stating that they would comply with a CWS decision to regulate the Mute Swan population.

What an absolute joke. CWS is responsible for the MBCA, it should not be up to ONE province to stick their neck out to point out this glaring problem.

The reality is that the political ramifications of allowing the culling of a "pretty" species outweigh the impacts this species has on our ecosystems in the eyes of those who care more about political ramifications than our ecosystems.

I've shot many blue wings mid October in central Saskatchewan which I find weird but some most handle a little chill in the air.

I've shot many blue wings mid October in central Saskatchewan which I find weird but some most handle a little chill in the air.
That would be prime breeding grounds for BWT and they are the second most abundant duck after Mallards. They are noted as an early migrater hence the special early Teal seasons in many of the States and most winter over around the Caribbean or even into South America.

Who knows ? Weather and temps are still pretty good and we may get a shot at some on Saturday.

Hello Guys,

I have been watching the inner bay and the weather ... not many birds flying about other than the Canada Geese. I have seen a few ducks but not "many" compared to the Canada Geese that are here. The weather is stil mild although we did have one night (Tuesday) when the temperature went down to 8 C (forecast was for 3 C that night) and one (1) maybe two (2) nights at 10 C (forecast for 5 C to 7 C those nights).

I heard that a few guys had a great Cormorant hunt out in the outer bay last week. I had previously been told by a woman who had been out there fishing with her husband a few days earlier that there were thousands of Cormorants out there. I saw a photgraph of the birds ... well ... pile of them. Looked like a lot of plucking and a big ... very big "Cormorant Fry" to be had in the future. Wonder what those birds could taste like if prepared properly.

Jerome

PS I was joking about the "Cormorant Fry" but my late buddy from India use to love preparing and eating the Common Mergansers that I shot at Presqu'ile years ago ... tasted just as good as any other duck (Mallard, Bluebill, Longtail Duck) that I had him try.

That would be prime breeding grounds for BWT and they are the second most abundant duck after Mallards. They are noted as an early migrater hence the special early Teal seasons in many of the States and most winter over around the Caribbean or even into South America.

Who knows ? Weather and temps are still pretty good and we may get a shot at some on Saturday.
Hi @Old Cut LongPointer

Was happy to harvest a few BWT west of London on opening day. First for me.

Happy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 28
You are a lucky guy ! Those BWT's are excellent eating birds. My son and I did not fire a shot on Opening Day but watched a flock of about 40-50 Green Wings get blasted by my brother and his buddy. Most guys got a mixed bag so I heard, BWT, GWT. Pintail, Woodies and the odd Widgeon and Mallard. The LPW Unit had a great opener but numbers dropped quickly as the week went on.

Hello OCLP,

I heard more shots fired on opening day this year than on any previous opening day over the past 13 years that I have been living on the causeway.

I heard that opening day this year "broke" the all time record for birds harvested ... not surprised at all. However it has been rather quiet since.

Jerome

You are a lucky guy ! Those BWT's are excellent eating birds. My son and I did not fire a shot on Opening Day but watched a flock of about 40-50 Green Wings get blasted by my brother and his buddy. Most guys got a mixed bag so I heard, BWT, GWT. Pintail, Woodies and the odd Widgeon and Mallard. The LPW Unit had a great opener but numbers dropped quickly as the week went on.
They were very good. I like to try and eat my duck “plain” cooked med-rare like steak.

I made these into a couple of more family friendly recipes - pesto pizza and fried rice.

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 15
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks