Blue pickerel

scribe

Amongst my wife and i’s catch on the weekend was a blue pickerel. How common are these?

Attachments

• 539F01EC-461A-4161-BEF6-C95D6C09F251.jpeg
    539F01EC-461A-4161-BEF6-C95D6C09F251.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 232
I have never caught one on Erie but I have seen lakes full of “blue” pickerel up north.
Not sure what causes it

“Genetic analyses conducted in the 21st century show that the blue walleye was not genetically different from the yellow walleye (Sander vitreus), rendering the taxon invalid.”

It’s just a normal walleye with different colour skin.

That is why the slime is very blue
Just a pigmentation

Caught one on the inner bay in 10 FOW south of bait island a few years ago when the high water was in. I posted a photo of it here. Surprised me enough to ask what it was. I catch yellows regularly. There is a history of blues in Erie. Others here had great info about them at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have caught blues up north too, but they were sauger. Sauger is a different fish without a white spot on a tail. This one did have a white spot.

Sauger is yet another fish.
Not classified a Blue.
Blue Pickeral were completely different and classified extinct or non existent anymore

Bluish walleye as apposed to yellow walleye are common in some areas. While I've only caught yellow pickerel in Lake Erie I caught many of the blue variety in Quebec. We had both kinds in the tributaries of the Ottawa River in northwestern Quebec.

I didn’t take photos but I have had one or two each outing this year

My father who worked for the fishery in picton, Ontario said the blue pigmentation comes from phosphorus and other minerals in the water. Can’t source that info but I have caught quite a few in the far north, nothing around here.

We used to catch a few in West Arm from time to time. Funny enough, we actually caught a Perch with a blue tinge to it there once. I’ll try to round up a picture.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks