Bleeding walleyes

I was out this morning and sliced the gills and cut the neck below the gill cover on some lake trout. I dragged these fish for 10 minutes before putting on ice. There still was enough blood when I was taking the fillet off, that the board had to be hosed off after each fish. I might try gutting next time on the water. How much blood should I expect the heart to pump out of the system when cutting the gills? I try to use the fish cleaning station at the launch to take the sides off before taking the the meat with the skin on home to finish. Thanks Beanstir

On my boat, cut right through the artery, the skinny part at the bottom of the Gill opening, livewell on manual, into the livewell until the water coming out the overflow (side of boat) runs clear. Then into cooler and ice.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks