Bleeding walleyes

gibby123

Have always wondered what is advantage of bleeding out your fish. I have never done it and always wondered. Thanks

Not as messy when cleaning, meat is whiter, taste better, I see lots cutting right threw the body, You only have to stick the knife threw close to the body where the gills start you'll hit the hart artery it'll bleed out. To late if the fish is dead. Through on ice after you see them floating belly up in your live well..

My understanding is it's a meat preservation measure. Less blood means the meat will be "sweeter" less fish taste, last longer etc. Less lactic acid. Also, always put your fish on ICE as quickly as possible. Keep a cooler of ice on board.

No blood on your board, whiter filets and no bees or wasps while your dealing with the fish.

That was just pointed out to me now, and I have to admit, I've never seen any while we've been cleaning our fish that are bled out.

I always do it, I cut them between the gills underneath while they're in the live well, change the water a couple of times before the drive-in. It makes a huge difference with the meat appearance and I do think it improves the taste.

I was a non-believer but always cleaned my fish within an hour or two of catching them so I didn't think it would make much difference. I tried bleeding them this year and the lack of mess is a huge benefit and the meat is noticeable whiter.

Went decades not doing this... now...

Soooooo much cleaner... meat so much whiter....????

I always do it, I cut them between the gills underneath while they're in the live well, change the water a couple of times before the drive-in. It makes a huge difference with the meat appearance and I do think it improves the taste.
As per @Wave Runner 's approach, bleed them in the death well and then ice them immediately in a cooler... and ice and fish in layers... great result on the cleaning table...

Like in the discussion with cleaning on the lake vs at home, I just zip open the belly, pull out the guts, put em on ice. The little bit of leftover blood drains, no bloating from the guts. The fish are clean and easy at home.

We always bleed our fish, we hang them over the side, cut to the head just behind the gills, and then throw them over the side for 10 minutes on a stringer to bleed out. Then into the cooler with ice. No mess in the livewell this way.

been bleeding them for a number of years now. As per everyone above, whiter meat, less mess and better tasting. I cut a gill or two with a pair of wire side cutters. Another thing I do is zipper the fillets just before cooking. Make a 1 " cut on each side of the lateral line at the tail. pull on the fillet from both sides. The fillet will pull a part right along the line. Take the fillet side which the lateral line is still attached, pull on the piece of lateral line and the other half of the fillet. When done you should have two nice clean long narrow fillets. That red line isn't meat , it is a collection of nerves, lateral line organs, bones, all stuff that taints the flavour of the meat. Try it, it's simple to do. On small eyes the pin bones will soften when cooked on bigger eyes the bones don't. This method will make the fillets completely boneless.

No blood on your board, whiter filets and no bees or wasps while your dealing with the fish.

That was just pointed out to me now, and I have to admit, I've never seen any while we've been cleaning our fish that are bled out.
Me either... to date I haven't seen any bees or wasps when cleaning in my basement. :giggle:

Last edited:
bleed em all, bought a set of heavy duty kitchen shears that stay in the boat for throat slitting duties.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks