Bill has to go?

can't miss

We've had a rather large old snapper living in our pond now for yrs, BILL, probably a acre of water and he/she has never really been a pain. But now as he or she continues to grow, probably almost 2 feet wide, think its time it moves. Only one there, not going to shoot it, not looking for a recipe, it's a dinosaur, they are on the declining species list, just want to re home the bugger?
I get my minnows from the pond and although he/she doesn't bother the trap, it now sit's beside it picking off minnows, and now they've learned to stay clear?
Kid's come, with their children, ponds a kid magnet, along with their city dog's that would probably lick it's nose, just a scene I'm trying to avoid.
Pond banks are fairly steep so it's pretty hard to hand, net catch it, any idea's?

We've had a rather large old snapper living in our pond now for yrs, BILL, probably a acre of water and he/she has never really been a pain. But now as he or she continues to grow, probably almost 2 feet wide, think its time it moves. Only one there, not going to shoot it, not looking for a recipe, it's a dinosaur, they are on the declining species list, just want to re home the bugger?
I get my minnows from the pond and although he/she doesn't bother the trap, it now sit's beside it picking off minnows, and now they've learned to stay clear?
Kid's come, with their children, ponds a kid magnet, along with their city dog's that would probably lick it's nose, just a scene I'm trying to avoid.
Pond banks are fairly steep so it's pretty hard to hand, net catch it, any idea's?
I’ve caught a few the get mad real quick but very catchable You can grab them by the tail and there neck is not long enough to reach back that far
or if it comes to food you use rope tied in a loop you Bait the middle of the loop get it to stick it’s head in the loop pull the rope tight and drag to the truck

You can make a turtle trap fairly easily. Just google it and you will find many different types.

And how do you plan to get rope off it’s neck without getting bit? As well, a rope around a turtles neck doesn’t sound safe at all. They’re not gators.

I know a great pond for him/her. Any biologists on here know if we take big Bill/Billie for a trip, will that mess him/her up? No roads near by but I know nothing about relocating turtles. Tried to drag one off the road once and he went back to the other side from where I dragged him, so I'm out of my element here.

And how do you plan to get rope off it’s neck without getting bit? As well, a rope around a turtles neck doesn’t sound safe at all. They’re not gators.
Used a stick opened the loop up and it was fine I was worried more about my safety

A Hollow pipe 3-5 ft long. Run a rope threw it so as to make a loop on one end and knot it off on the other end. Much the same as what a dog catcher uses. Bait that beast in with a fresh cut fish. When she shoots for a bite drag the bait away slowly and her neck will come out as she swims for it. have your poll ready and sinch it down. Gently Drag her up on land and roll her into a box/bin of some kind for transport.
Or bait her in and use a big ass heavy duty net and scoop her up when she is in close,land her and roll her into a bin/box for transport.
Don't pick up a turtle that big by the tail. Likely it will break something up on her insides.

OMG ! Almost 2 feet wide ? That turtle has more claim to that pond just based on seniority ! He/she was probably there when the pioneers settled that land. LoL ! Problems about transplanting him/her would be ; finding the same environment, a pond not already claimed, potential mates nearby, etc.. Also ...Mother Nature abhors a vacuum and you will probably have another Snapper move in to your pond in no time.

I have one in my pond . At least a foot wide and a little more in length, I now know that it is a female because I watched her lay eggs beside my deck. I should see little ones end of August. There are 4 ponds nearby but she likes the pond right behind the house for some reason. About the end of May or first of June she would make the rounds to the other ponds ; I would assume looking for mate ? Three of the ponds are close by(within 100m) but the 4th is across Lakeshore Road on the Southside property approx. 400m away.

I would do a search online to see if there are local groups or biology students that would be interested in your problem. I know at Long Point Prov. Park they will loan out screens to protect nest sites so maybe they have a contact number ? Maybe the MNR has contacts ?

I have a friend who works with a turtle rescue with her son and they seem to drive all over the place for turtles. It seems to me she said once before that turtles are territorial but they also imprint on the place they live in and the older ones have a very difficult time in new environments. I’m not a biologist by any means but that would make sense why they relay a turtle from Pembroke to Tillsonburg for a couple months then back to its pond, river or lake it came from once it’s back on the mend. That being said I’d look into it a bit before moving Bill as Bill has been there before any of us were a tinkle in our Dad’s eye. If you do end up trying to catch this turtle though I believe you can partially submerge a steel barrel on roughly a 45 degree angle and put some sort of bait into it. This will allow the turtle to climb into the barrel but not back out.
Good Luck.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks