Biggest brisket yet!

Crummybun

I'm going to try and shoehorn a 20lber(untrimmed) into the kamado joe classic this weekend. We're having a bunch of family and friends over Sunday and it should be a feast. Picked it up at metro on Tuesday before the sale ended. They were all AA here in Brantford so I decided I'm going to inject it with some tallow in case it's a bit lean.

Needed some beef fat to render down. So based on a tip from Jammer(thanks!) I headed out to Vanessa meat. I bought 6 lbs of beef fat and a few other tasty looking bits. 1.5 liters of tallow from 3 lbs of fat, about $6.00.... Glad I didn't just order off Amazon like I almost did last night. Cleanest, white tallow I've ever made yet. 165°f for 4hrs on the traeger.

Hopefully the brisket turns out just as good 👍.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922_191116_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230922_191116_Gallery.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 6
Good luck @hvyhaul and enjoy your celebration tomorrow.

Smallest one I've done was 10lbs. I've only ever done full packers. I would imagine a flat on its own would be a challenge.

Yup same, always a Packer complete.

This one was $44 and change discounted, but it is the smallest one I have. LoL

The flat on its own shouldn't be too difficult, just wrap it earlier and finish it on the lower end of the temperature scale. (I think)

Enjoy your feast and company. 😁🌻

I'm going to try and shoehorn a 20lber(untrimmed) into the kamado joe classic this weekend. We're having a bunch of family and friends over Sunday and it should be a feast. Picked it up at metro on Tuesday before the sale ended. They were all AA here in Brantford so I decided I'm going to inject it with some tallow in case it's a bit lean.

Needed some beef fat to render down. So based on a tip from Jammer(thanks!) I headed out to Vanessa meat. I bought 6 lbs of beef fat and a few other tasty looking bits. 1.5 liters of tallow from 3 lbs of fat, about $6.00.... Glad I didn't just order off Amazon like I almost did last night. Cleanest, white tallow I've ever made yet. 165°f for 4hrs on the traeger.

Looks great!!! We are constantly experimenting... The beef lard is a keeper...

Nice job

Trimmed and dry brined. Had a helper, therr wasn't a scrap to be found on the floor. There were however a few rewards for patience. I think I may have been a bit aggressive with the trim, 4lbs 9ozs went into the hamburger/tallow pile. I don't think I've ever made such a mess injecting a cut of meat. It was shooting out left right and center.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230923_163637_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_163637_Gallery.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230923_163644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_163644_Gallery.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230923_163628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_163628_Gallery.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230923_163833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_163833_Gallery.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 21
My first injector for pork was like that, more into the room than the intended target. LoL

Nice shape on the brisket. You trim more off than I do, but that's because I'm cheap.

I actually got a good night's sleep last night with my cook, hopefully you will too. 🌻

It was an odd shape, I don't think I've ever seen one with such a square end on a flat. I liked how thick and uniform the flat was.

Did you guys eat your brisket yet @hvyhaul? How did it turn out?

I go through a whole case and ask for more looking for what you got. 😁

Yes, was late lunch meal.

Point and half way through the flat excellent, the remaining flat was quite thin so it was a little over. Very pleased with the results.

Had no problem giving away more for another meal for them. 🌻

Managed to fit it in, just barely.

Sitting at 187°f right now. Meater says 1 hr 20 min till done. Should give me a 3.5 hrs rest, if sides are done at 5pm.

Can't wait!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_115442_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_115442_Gallery.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230924_115438_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_115438_Gallery.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 18
Gonna guess, briquettes not lump, so did you get a complete cook on first fill or did you have to top up?

My cook was surprisingly efficient, half a hopper (10#) of my blend of pellets so at the discounted prices I've been buying them, about $6.00 in fuel. 🌻

Hey @hvyhaul, not briquettes. I bought a load of kamado joe big block on sale at the beginning of summer and I'm on the last of 5 20lb bags. I really like it. The kamado joe classic will run for almost 20 hrs low and slow, when filled to the max. I use a system called double inderect, credited to smoking dad bbq on YouTube. It is far more inefficient and therefore burns more charcoal, but I like the results I've had in the past. More burn, more airflow, hopefully equals cleaner smoke.

Point is 206ish, flat 195ish. I want to get it off to rest.... only 2.5 hrs to dinner. Point probing perfect flat still tight.

9 adults 2 teens and a child almost polished it off. Was very good. So many great sides, thankfully no dessert... Time for a cup of joe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230924_193414_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_193414_Gallery.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230924_193500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230924_193500_Gallery.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 20
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks