BIG WAVES-SMALL BOATS TRYING TO GET INTO PORT BRUCE HARBOR ON SATURDAY

Scary isn't the word for it.

I did see something similar on a Thanksgiving Day afternoon about 20 years ago. A commercial boat out of Dover was straight out from the cottage about 7 miles. They were definitely in trouble when the winds suddenly and violently picked up out of nowhere and were bouncing around like a cork in about 15 foot waves, maybe more. We called 911 and they told us the Coast Guard was on their way from Dover. About 20 mins latter the CG boat was there and you could tell they were in trouble too. We called the coast guard office in Dover and they said help from US Coast Guard out of Cleveland was en route by air. It wasn't long and they were there in a what looked like a Black Hawk. They plucked the crew from the fishing boat and the Canadian Coast Guard vessel crew stayed onboard. It was really shocking to watch this drama unfold and one felt absolutely helpless. I can't tell you how much respect I have for all of those involved from the commercial guys that risk their lives daily to put food on the table and the guys that risk their lives to save others. We were drained just watching, imagine those guys.

If you see something like this for over an hour in real life, not on a TV screen, you will have a different appreciation of the perils of this lake. Maybe that and seeing the way she can behave day to day for 20 years has given me a different outlook when it comes to water safety. My buddy and I drove to Dover the next day and talked to a few of the guys that went out there. Man they are the real deal heroes and tough guys and gals. Not those that are paid millions to catch a little ball or shoot a puck.

Those were the days before everyone had a video camera on a phone and my little camera just showed a few small dots in big waves.

USCG has been using HH65 Dolphin helos on the Great Lake for over 20 years. Based in Detroit and Tawas City Michigan.

Strange anyone would have answered the telephone in Port Dover office as ALL of the crew would have been on this dramatic rescue mission.

:woot:If I had been on that boat...the scuppers would have run chocolate brown!!! :woot: We are coming up for a week and I am NOT showing the wife that video. I will never get her into the boat!!!

USCG has been using HH65 Dolphin helos on the Great Lake for over 20 years. Based in Detroit and Tawas City Michigan.

Strange anyone would have answered the telephone in Port Dover office as ALL of the crew would have been on this dramatic rescue mission.

I think the call went straight to the office in Sarnia. If you call *16 I believe it is answered in Sarnia, mine was. But they definitely said the flight was out of Cleveland not Detroit which I believe is Selfridge. I wouldn't think they would leave the station un manned especially in a storm like that. I'm not sure just surmising.

@oops This Video was Posted on another Forum as of commercial fishing boats returning from fishing off the coast of Washington and Oregon . They were supposedly crossing the Columbia Bar, which is the site of the Columbia River meeting the Pacific Ocean which is designated as one of the most dangerous ports of entry anywhere in the world.

Though it may look like what these self-righting boats have to endure crossing the Columbia bar, the Video is actually 2 fishing vessels braving the Grey River Bar in full flood. Greymouth New Zealand HD Video by Geoff Mackley and Bradley Ambrose

Back