Big Otter Creek petition

What's the difference between one creek and another. Open season, closed season or sanctuary it seems very few people respect these rules. It's honerable that you care about this spot but without strict enforcement your writing on paper will go unheard and unobeyed. It's a tough job actually keeping tabs on these creeks. Also I believe closing areas only hurts the honest angler and those who don't care never will be concerned with "the regs". Make an argument with the need for WAY more CO's in your next petition and you might be on the right track.

the area that would become sanctuary is not very productive for fishing it would be under the falls (which is technically illegal to fish all ready ) and the rapids below it is prime spawning grounds and gets trampled every opener people for the most part won`t fish above a cable with the sanctuary sign on it, it would still leave miles and miles of the river open for pike and course fish. getting a sanctuary is much easier than getting the gov to hire more CO`s and only hurts the people who are intentionally targeting trout out of season. this year is going to be a slaughter(the closed section would prevent this) something needs to be done just saying no one will follow the regs anyways so eff it won`t help. I want my son to be able to fish for trout when he`s older poachers have completely destroyed the salmon fishery in the otter do we continue to let them destroy the trout

The truth is there won't likely be any more CO's in the future than there are now, and a petition won't change that.
The area in question, although probably does get fished by the honest angler, is outnumbered 10-1 by people really targeting trout. Just last week some people were trying to net below the dam...

A sanctuary will prevent all activity and will make issuing fines much easier, "no targeting sucker" bullshit, and there will still be 55+km of river to fish below, and a ton more to fish above the dam. And the only spot the fish can spawn is the stretch below the dam, the rest of the creek is not suitable spawning habitat (clay and sand etc.) so why not protect the small piece of reproductive water they have? After all, its not like it gets supplemental stocking either...

Can't please everyone and not everyone will agree, but those who know the area in question likely will.

First off, poaching did not end the salmon runs in the Otter, snagging, limited natural reproduction and the elimination of stocking on the US side of Erie did. Second, salmon season closes upstream of Bayham the same time trout does now, Sept 30 at midnight. If a sanctuary is to be implemented it should start then to protect the fall and winter spawners of all species. Sanctuaries are the best way to police any system as far as I'm concerned. Got a pole in your hand within a sanctuary and say good bye to some money. Don't need a CO to lay the charge either. I know lots of OPP that will gladly do that. Furthermore, sanctuaries become policed by anyone who gives a shit about right and wrong, not just 1 CO and a hand full of anglers with a vested interest in seeing the fishery prosper.

Systems that are mainly clay based are heavily reliant on their feeder streams for natural reproduction to sustain any kind of naturalised fishery. The same goes for any prime cold water system. The fishery is a product of the whole system, not just 1 or 2 prime spawning areas. That is why I believe all tribs should be included when sanctuaries are implemented.

And the only spot the fish can spawn is the stretch below the dam, the rest of the creek is not suitable spawning habitat (clay and sand etc.) so why not protect the small piece of reproductive water they have? After all, its not like it gets supplemental stocking either...

Can't please everyone and not everyone will agree, but those who know the area in question likely will.

One day Quinn I hope your ego allows you to open your eyes and see what is really happening around you. You remind me a lot of a younger me when I thought I knew everything. Thankfully as I aged, I was fortunate enough to meet all kinds of others who are passionate about our natural world and our local fishery. After hours of debate and bouncing ideas off each other I realised that in my quest to become 1 of the best at what I do, my ego and self righteousness had stood in the way of me truly learning from who and what was around me and becoming as good as those older fishermen I've looked up to all my trout bum life.

I really can't see where Quinn stated anything inflammatory there. Having said that I never have been a Salmon or Trout angler. Did the bushwhacking in the woods 20 years or so ago to get to some beautiful locations up around the Varney area. Sure needed to be in great shape to get through the jungle. I used to call it the Me Kong delta Viet Nam. Just not for me but can appreciate the hunt. What I never could, and still can't, get my head around is the senceless killing one fish to harvest eggs to catch another fish. I just don't get it.

STR8 needs to be commended for having enough passion for something to actually do something about it. Sitting back and waiting for someone else, including the government to solve an issue is very Canadian in my opinion. I had a friend years ago that lived on the Ottawa River that was an out and out poacher. One freezer full of Pike, one for Bass, another for Walleye and another for Duck. Enough for a feed of fish everyday of the year. I know he was selling it. He would do anything to poach these fish and duck. Other than being a wildlife criminal he truly was a good God fearing family man that worked 3 jobs to provide including getting both his kids through University. One through Law and one Dentistry. His father was a poacher and his fathers father was a poacher.

Poachers will poach, sanctuary or no sanctuary. Working in teams, and know and use modern technology. Night vision goggles, voice activated coms, full camo, high voltage hand held equipment to stun fish. They can detect motion activated cameras, and wave at them before spraying them with paint. They are pros and will do what they do best, poach. It makes me sick enough that I haven't seen this guy for years and could care less if I ever see him again. I let him know that as well. The kids I miss.

The petition I will read and if I agree will gladly sign. I don't think petitions carry much weight today unfortunately. It is difficult to be heard over the voices of politicians squabbling to get to the top of the pecking order. It's infuriating knowing these women and men are being paid by us to act like children from City Hall locally to Ottawa. One of my US cousins in Atlanta's favorite shows are The House of Commons on CSPAN from Ottawa.

If it was illegal to use roe to fish with would that put a dent in the problem? Or is that too simple?

Kill one fish to get bait to catch another fish legally, I don't get it, not at all.

STR8, Of course I'm having problems signing in with this tablet. The thing is cursed.

Keep up the cause.

Whatsthepoint, the new bio wanted this petition to be submitted as part of the package, and therefore it was posted on here one last time. Petitions do have some merit, as public consultation is always a factor.

Word about the sanctuary must be getting around. Took the grandsons out to drown a few worms on Sun. It was without a doubt the nicest weather so far this year, yet in 4 hours of fishing the Big Otter we only encountered one other person fishing. As luck would have it we outsmarted 7 spring spawning suckers. Catching one of these highly intelligent fish is no small feat, unlike trout and salmon they seem to survive and flourish past all the poachers and commercial nets!

thats suprising for a sunday Ottie44 there was lots of traffic saturday and a few guys throwing hardware , Thanks for the kind words guys . Stick I watched several different people when I was a teenager using spotlights and pitch forks to fill trunks with salmon year after year so I do believe it had a pretty big impact on the fishery I had no idea how bad it was for the river back then or I would have reported them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks