Big Jon planer board mast

These are spring loaded with automatic retrieval. Turn the boat into the board you want to retrieve and it starts winding it up with a ratchet mechanism that does not allow the line to go back out. Been eyeing them up for a while.

Attachments

• 8D7A9B2E-7840-4882-8481-5673614B80E5.png
    8D7A9B2E-7840-4882-8481-5673614B80E5.png
    797 KB · Views: 16
Nice idea @Dmanwithnoname .

That's what I do now to retrieve mine when done with the boards. Slow down and turn towards each board as wound in. It's still a slow process but way better than fighting them in while still trolling. 🤪😄 🌻

The boards I make pull so hard I have destroyed two pairs of Big Jon manual's now...the plastic of the spool just won't take the stress! In the process now of making aluminum spools/handles for them!
Let me know when Ryan when you have them ready. I have your boards now and your right that they pull hard. I used them before the pike tournament to see how they track and pull. Had them out a good 100’ and they were pulling farther ahead than my olds ones. They pulled so hard they broke the line. Ended up getting 500lb test off of Jocelyn and haven’t had the chance to use them yet.

These are spring loaded with automatic retrieval. Turn the boat into the board you want to retrieve and it starts winding it up with a ratchet mechanism that does not allow the line to go back out. Been eyeing them up for a while.

@Dmanwithnoname i had them before. The disadvantage of them is the way the line locks on the reel for a set distance and they brake off and then the line will keep spoiling out.
That’s why I went BigJon electric and now I’m thinking it wasn’t a good change over either.

I see well that seems unfortunate, from the group so far it sounds like guests reeling in manual planers is the best option… along with arm burning 10 colour in sheepshead territory lol
I tell everyone that buys my boards is ALWAYS steer towards them when reeling them in and just keep tension on the line and don't let it go slack. I have also heard bad things about the riviera masts but that is mainly from guys running hard pulling boards!

Finally after almost 2 months my other Big Jon motor came in. Now it’s time to install it and get into some fishing again. Special thanks to R&R Outdoors/Jimmy Riggins Fishing Charters for getting me up and running again. Thanks Steph and Jimmy
0E10D386-7F6A-4D13-A609-BBA77BA5ED91.jpeg

I can
Two years ago I installed a dual electric planer board mast. Late last year just before pulling the boat the one electric motor was tripping reset on the switch.
Never got around to it during the winter in my heated shop to investigate the issue.
Last week before the tournament I thought I best check the mast. Same thing as last year tripping the reset and now it’s happening to both both motors.
Got my multimeter out checking the connections and everything is fine until I plugged them. Thinking maybe it is seized. Tested the motor leads and not a good sign as it was faulting out.
Pulled the mast today to see what’s happening.
Took the end cap off the motor and water came out. Not a good sign🤬
Called Big Jon and there’s nothing they can do other than sell me another motor at $210 US funds.
That’s not going to happen, being a retired millwright and rebuilt many electric motors, so this isn’t new to me
From what I can figure out, rain water has wicked itself through where the wires go through the housing.
Good thing the boat sat in the heated shop this past winter or I would be buying 2 new motors.
View attachment 57515View attachment 57516View attachment 57517
Fix that motor Jim. I have the equipment to clean it up and maker work like new as long as the armature is good.

I can

Fix that motor Jim. I have the equipment to clean it up and maker work like new as long as the armature is good.
Thanks Chuck for the offer but they were long gone thrown out. When I opened up the other it was worst🤬

The
Thanks Chuck for the offer but they were long gone thrown out. When I opened up the other it was worst🤬
Y should be a little more weather proof in a marine application. Kinda sad I don't imagine they are cheap. It's too bad cause I have all the stuff to redo those like I say. Hope your new ones work out. I am not getting much fishin in. Between June 21 and Aug 4th I will have been home 8 days! When I get home on the 4th I hope to hit it hard. That 8 days I was home was all about getting work done at home. Crazy!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks